Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thrift Store Giant Quasar - Repair

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 06:58 PM
JoeMonroe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi! Just got into cycling about a year ago, and have mainly rode on a childhood mountain bike. I've been looking for more of a road bike recently and picked one up for 5 bucks at a thrift store (I'm not very picky). I can probably handle replacing the tires myself. However, I'm in need of guidance as far as the gears go. The wires that control changing speeds are a mess. Seems like most are snapped. Probably because of this, the chain will just drop down gears on the rear wheel until it drops off. Is this something I can fix on my own? Am i better taking it off to a repair shop? And is making this bike a single speed possible and simple enough a job that its worth doing? (I dont really need a bunch of speeds; I just take casual rides on levee tracks). I'd greatly appreciate any tips people have! Thanks.
Old 09-24-19, 08:16 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Best option is a local bike coop, they will teach you. Second best, get 10 posts then post some pictures.
Old 09-24-19, 09:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
If you know what you are doing you can build a house. I can't but many can fix their own bike after a bunch of home work. How quick are you to understand mechanical stuff? Andy
Old 09-24-19, 09:46 PM
JoeMonroe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
If you know what you are doing you can build a house. I can't but many can fix their own bike after a bunch of home work. How quick are you to understand mechanical stuff? Andy
Dont have tons of experience but I can figure things out eventually. I tightened what I think is the derailer and that fixed my problem of it shifting down all the time. So once I get some new tires I can possibly figure out if that's gonna be enough.
Old 09-24-19, 11:19 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Go to Youtube and watch "RJ the Bike Guy" videos. He is very good in the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaA...2xiBbAUVZsvDYQ