Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Show us your builds

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Show us your builds

Old 02-07-11, 08:15 AM
scbvideoboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh yes, I love my shiny beautifully machined Campagnolo stuff. I have a vintage Lemond frame I want to do up in original Athena. Some day...
Old 02-19-11, 03:17 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
Yes, DihydrogenMonoxide... Use carefully.
Agreed! It can be nasty stuff! I mean, it's the reason for 100% of tsunamis, for heaven's sake! It was also responsible for the sinking of the Titanic, and it regularly causes rivers to flood! Used wrongly, Dihydrogen Monoxide can kill!
Old 04-17-11, 06:17 PM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here are some from #2, which I just got back from the painter yesterday, and built/test rode today. It's a 650b wheeled, SRAM Apex'd commuter/shopper/path bomber:

And the completed bike, a 650b wheeled commuter/shopper/path bomber:

Builder and built:

The entire album.
Old 04-22-11, 03:32 AM
guywithchickens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first build. Nova OS tubes, stamped lugs, MAPP gas, touring geometry, rattle can paint. 6 miles and counting...

I got a lot of great info from this group. Thanks to all.

Last edited by guywithchickens; 04-22-11 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Fixed image link
Old 04-22-11, 07:47 AM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, for what I would call a true budget build, that looks amazing! Nice work! Did you use a jig, or did you freespace it?

Pete
Old 04-22-11, 07:54 AM
guywithchickens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mudboy
Wow, for what I would call a true budget build, that looks amazing! Nice work! Did you use a jig, or did you freespace it?

Pete
I used the jig ideas from Talbot's book. Worked out pretty well. The downside of a first frame is that it took about 5 months of on-and-off work...lots of thinking and measuring. I think a second frame would go much faster.
Old 04-22-11, 10:03 AM
mudboy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by guywithchickens
I used the jig ideas from Talbot's book. Worked out pretty well. The downside of a first frame is that it took about 5 months of on-and-off work...lots of thinking and measuring. I think a second frame would go much faster.
I just finished my second (see above). It does go much faster.
Old 04-22-11, 11:27 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That`s great, Chickens! Yeah, mine (only one so far) took me about six months too. As long as it gets done...
Old 07-22-11, 11:32 AM
graymanandy

Bikes: Giant ATX 1.75, Ares Ashura, bamboo cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay here goes.

I'm on frame #6 which will be a women's cruiser with hemp lugs but here are some pics of the others

Andy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
M1 rigging small.jpg (85.1 KB, 627 views)
Full C1 small.jpg (90.3 KB, 613 views)
R1 Random Pic.jpg (98.3 KB, 607 views)
R1 Bottom Bracket Yoke small.jpg (104.6 KB, 607 views)
R1 Headtube small.jpg (94.6 KB, 597 views)
M1 Tight Spaces.jpg (96.7 KB, 587 views)
C2 Built small.jpg (98.1 KB, 601 views)
Likes For graymanandy:
Old 07-22-11, 06:44 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

I've been thinking about building a lightweight rando frame for use with the Rohloff Speedhub, and finally got around to it. Deda 8/5/8 with Everest lugs, Paragon sliders, and the Imperial oval fork blades and crown Jan Heine/Compass Cycles is selling.
Old 07-26-11, 10:36 AM
Lurknasty

Bikes: Alpine mirage, custom cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An old alpine mirage that i coverted into a fixie. Did everything myself welded the brake mounts closed aswell as the bottle holder and cable mounts. I grinded of the derailer mount and the fender mounts. And i recently wrecked it goin down hill into a stump and it bent the steerer top and bottom tube to give it that track geometry i always wanted. The b43's didnt even get a scratch but she pulls to the left. So gettin that track frame soon sunnn.

Sorry for the crappy iphone pics was in a hurry
Old 07-26-11, 11:53 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
A little project I have been working on for some time but am just about ready for powdercoat... refitted my 1973 Phillip's 20 with rear stays and a fork taken from a Nishiki International which had a broken main tube and down tube. Stays and fork were of excellent quality with Suntour / Tange dropouts and as they came off a touring bike were just what I wanted for my separable touring bike.

Work was all free hand brazing and joining the old stays and new ones was accomplished by using chromoly sleeves / pins and the ends of the original chain and seat stays.

Added a few inches in the rear which will allow for better heel clearance and built up the fork with suspension correction in case I decide to go that route in the future and reduced the trail from the stock fork.

Increased the bb and pedal clearance which is an issue on 20's, especially when you run 175mm cranks and the bike should be a nice shade of British racing green after a little more clean up, detailing, and after I build custom racks.

Have been in test ride mode to ensure that the geometry is just right as I do not want to make any fork alterations after the powdercoating and figure I nailed it... the bike tracks and corners like it is on rails and is very stiff.

Looking pretty raw here and there is a little more work to be done... a few folks have said I should just clear coat the bike.
Attached Images
2011forrestbuild1.jpg (96.6 KB, 371 views)
Old 07-31-11, 10:39 AM
timdude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally done! www.flickr.com/photos/timdude
Attached Images
bike.jpg (104.8 KB, 411 views)
Old 07-31-11, 10:51 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by timdude
...and well done! It looks great.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 08-01-11, 01:31 PM
mattradaz

Bikes: 1989 Miyata 914, 2008 Quintana Roo Seduza Tri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Custom Built Carbon TT "Sort of Funny" Bike

Just finished my first ever frame build...and I now have IMMENSE respect of those that do this for a living. This was a very difficult process and the level of thought and attention to detail that went into constructing this frame was almost beyond description. I'll post some details of how I built it in the next few weeks, as well as some feedback on how it rides....as I plan to start riding it this week.

The bike is a 700c Rear and 650c front in order to help lower the front end and get me in a better aero position...plus the frontal area is reduced. The old 24" funny bikes just looked....well....funny so I didn't go that route.

The frame consists of high modulus carbon tubes which were mitered and bonded and then the joints were wrapped with carbon strips. The rear end is a Deda Firebox (customized to mount to BB30) and the fork is an Advanced Composites Aero unit with an aluminum steerer. The bare frame before paint and cable guides, etc. weighed in at just over 2 pounds and just under 3 pounds when I started bolting parts on it. The bike as pictured weighs 16.8 pounds...only pedals missing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by mattradaz; 08-01-11 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-01-11, 03:58 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mattradaz
The frame consists of high modulus carbon tubes which were mitered and bonded and then the joints were wrapped with carbon strips. The rear end is a Deda Firebox (customized to mount to BB30) and the fork is an Advanced Composites Aero unit with an aluminum steerer. The bare frame before paint and cable guides, etc. weighed in at just over 2 pounds and just under 3 pounds when I started bolting parts on it. The bike as pictured weighs 16.8 pounds...only pedals missing.

[[/IMG]
Hey mattradaz, that's a great looking bike. What kind of tubes did you use for the tt, the st and dt? Were they custom wrapped or off the shelve? And how did you decide what the wall thickness should be? I'm in the middle of designing my first carbon bike, and still stumped by these questions. The only thing I have found are notations of the number of plies, yet no mention how thick the tubes end up to be. And I found some guidance in the bike tubes of rock west composites, but it would be a pain for me to import their set due to customs etc. Thanks in advance! Btw great idea to use an of shelve deda unit for the rear end.
Old 08-02-11, 10:05 AM
mattradaz

Bikes: 1989 Miyata 914, 2008 Quintana Roo Seduza Tri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Italuminum,

I had many issues to work through as well...and I did end up using off the shelf tubes from Rock West Composites. All my notes are at my shop (so is the bike) but I'm certain I used the same size tube for the top/seat tubes (1.4 OD?) and used a bit larger tube (1.625 OD) for the downtube. I just used the standard .065" thickness tubes. I had some tell me to use a thinner tube, but for the minimal difference in weight and the added safety factor of the thicker tubing, I thought it was the way to go.

My biggest issue was getting the geometry correct with the 650c front wheel "curve ball" thrown in. It looks right....but I'll see how she handles when I ride it for the first time tomorrow.

Here's a few more pics...

Old 08-02-11, 03:01 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mattradaz
Italuminum,

I had many issues to work through as well...and I did end up using off the shelf tubes from Rock West Composites. All my notes are at my shop (so is the bike) but I'm certain I used the same size tube for the top/seat tubes (1.4 OD?) and used a bit larger tube (1.625 OD) for the downtube. I just used the standard .065" thickness tubes. I had some tell me to use a thinner tube, but for the minimal difference in weight and the added safety factor of the thicker tubing, I thought it was the way to go
Here's a few more pics...

That's great! Thanks for sharing. I foind a carbon supplier that has the tubing I need, finally (only then in metric sizes, but that 1/10 pf a mm won't make much of a difference...). How's the steering with that 650 b wheel?
Old 08-18-11, 11:17 PM
timdude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! it was a joy to build can't wait for the next one.

Originally Posted by Scooper
...and well done! It looks great.
Old 08-26-11, 08:38 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What do you get when a Dahon folder gets drunk with a couple of OCC StingRays?
A Folding Pugsley (Fugsley)!!! https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/vie...p?f=21&t=44315

Hopefully welding will start this weekend!

Virtual Mockup

Actual Mockup

Old and new wheels. 16x1.5 versus 20x4!!!!

Old 08-27-11, 05:02 PM
GrantH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How in the world do you begin researching/learning about how to build bikes from a pile of lugs and pipe?
Old 08-27-11, 05:11 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by GrantH
How in the world do you begin researching/learning about how to build bikes from a pile of lugs and pipe?
I have spent countless hours working on all kinds of bicycles, have done exhaustive research on construction methods and design, and just finished a two year apprenticeship with a master frame builder.

The actual brazing is the easy part and I figured that out in short order... anyone can weld but not anyone understands the dynamics of geometry and frame materials.
Old 08-27-11, 06:17 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by GrantH
Start HERE to get some idea of what you'd be getting into.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 08-27-11, 07:15 PM
whippersnapper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism

Can you tell me what color of red this is.

Thanks
Old 08-31-11, 09:16 PM
BIKEZOIDS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All steel twin down tube road bike. The seat and top tubes are 35mm, 37mm head tube, and 19mm downtubes mitred and welded directly to the head tube.
Attached Images
twin turbo.jpg (55.7 KB, 702 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.