Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tires: Grippiness vs Harshness vs Resistance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-07, 10:29 AM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Bikes: 2006 Specialized SWorks Tarmac; 2005 Bianchi Giro; 2005 Bianchi Cross Veloce; 1997 Litespeed Catalyst; 1983 Performance Steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1-Is it generally true the grippier a tire is, the more rolling resistance it has?
2-Is it generally true the grippier a tire is, the less harsh a ride it yields?
3-Is it generally true the grippier a tire is, the less durable it is?
Old 08-06-07, 10:51 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
2 and 3 are obviously false. Harshness is mostly determined by tire pressure and casing stiffness. Durability depends mostly on the thickness (and weight) of the rubber. Published rolling resistance tests have shown that some grippy tires also have low rolling resistance, so I guess 1 is also false.
Old 08-06-07, 10:59 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Go get some Mich P2Rs and be done with it. Lowest RR, very smooth and plenty grippy...great tire, sorry it took me so long to find it. Vittoria Rubino Pro slick is pretty good too but the P2R is better IMO.
Old 08-06-07, 11:02 AM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Bikes: 2006 Specialized SWorks Tarmac; 2005 Bianchi Giro; 2005 Bianchi Cross Veloce; 1997 Litespeed Catalyst; 1983 Performance Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Go get some Mich P2Rs and be done with it. Lowest RR, very smooth and plenty grippy...great tire, sorry it took me so long to find it. Vittoria Rubino Pro slick is pretty good too but the P2R is better IMO.
PR2 exactly what I've been using. Also the Conti GP 4000. Now looking at the GP 4000s. Check out this thread too:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=329393
Old 08-06-07, 11:04 AM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
2 and 3 are obviously false. Harshness is mostly determined by tire pressure and casing stiffness. Durability depends mostly on the thickness (and weight) of the rubber. Published rolling resistance tests have shown that some grippy tires also have low rolling resistance, so I guess 1 is also false.
Thanks for your input,

Perhaps I should have phrased the questions as "what is the relationship between?" (the different factors). Now rereading, the questions look biased in one direction.

I'd tend to agree w/ you on #'s 2,3. Not sure about #1. How accurate are these published reports?
Old 08-06-07, 11:04 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 and 3 are obviously false.
I would say that #3 is generally correct. Soft tires that grip well will wear faster. Yeah, thicker tires will last longer, but is one tire really much thicker than another?
Old 08-06-07, 11:15 AM
FidelCastrovich
Patria O Muerte!

Bikes: Pinarello road bike, Marin Kentfield city bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
I would say that #3 is generally correct. Soft tires that grip well will wear faster. Yeah, thicker tires will last longer, but is one tire really much thicker than another?

It's not about the thickness of the tire - it's about the compound itself and how supple it is. The softer it is, the faster it will wear and the grippier it will be. Rolling resistance is a phantom variable and shouldn't concern you most of the time - keep the recommended pressure, and you're fine.

Of course, all else being equal - thicker means more durable.
Old 08-06-07, 11:18 AM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FidelCastrovich
keep the recommended pressure, and you're fine.
You mean the recommended max pressure?
Old 08-06-07, 11:23 AM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
Yes, some tires have much thicker rubber than others. Those are usually advertised as training tires vs. race tires which are thinner and lighter. Also, some tires use 2 different rubbers, softer on the sides for grip and harder in the center for durability.
Old 08-06-07, 11:36 AM
FidelCastrovich
Patria O Muerte!

Bikes: Pinarello road bike, Marin Kentfield city bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TJHOO
You mean the recommended max pressure?
No, not necessarily. Recommended max pressure for your weight, would be more accurate. More pressure does not always mean less resistance. There's a point where too much pressure equals more resistance, due to reduced grip(the high pressure keeps the bike bouncing, slightly, reducing the amount of power transfered to the ground).
Old 08-06-07, 11:46 AM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FidelCastrovich
Recommended max pressure for your weight
Any guidelines here?
Old 08-06-07, 11:52 AM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Any guidelines here?
Here are Michelin's bicycle tire pressure guidelines: https://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/fr...154733&lang=EN

The table is also printed on the boxes that most Michelin tires come in.
Old 08-06-07, 12:01 PM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are Michelin's bicycle tire pressure guidelines: https://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/fr...154733&lang=EN

The table is also printed on the boxes that most Michelin tires come in.
Looks like a roughly linear relationship (NB, I am not a mathematician).

If correcting PSI for body weight per the above graph, what are the different riding characteristics (harshness, stickiness, rolling resistance) of a heavier vs a lighter cyclist??

Perhaps a lighterweight person can safely use less PSI, and have a less harsh ride? Or does lees PSI translate into the same ride as more PSI for a heavier cyclist?

Any physicists out there?
Old 08-06-07, 12:02 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
1-Is it generally true the grippier a tire is, the more rolling resistance it has?
2-Is it generally true the grippier a tire is, the less harsh a ride it yields?
3-Is it generally true the grippier a tire is, the less durable it is?
Grippy generally doesn't mean 1 or 2. Grippy generally means soft compound and that means less durable or 3. Rolling resistance or #1 is generally a function of carcass stiffness which is mostly a function of TPI. (Threads per inch)
The more the TPI, the easier it is for a carcass to displace itself...what contributes to rolling resistance and also btw a more compliant ride or #2. The problem with high TPI, is opportunity for road ingression...more holes in the carcass due to more threads. So its a tradeoff generally between rolling resistance and puncture resistance. Out and out racing tires with high TPI count tend to be faster. Grippy has to do with the softness of the tire compound which portends greater wear.
As mentioned, the Michelin PR2 with 127 TPI is a wonderful balance between rolling resistance and puncture resistance. The downside if any is wear due to its upside with is grippiness which is due to it relatively soft tire compound. Tire selection is a balance and mostly a tradeoff. You need to pick the tire based upon what is important to you. No single tire is all things of course. HTH.
Old 08-06-07, 12:03 PM
ttopaz
Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TJ, Already 2 threads about tires. Just buy Mich P2 or Conti GP 4000 and done with it. I like Vredestein Fortezza.
Its not like you are buying a house!
Old 08-06-07, 12:23 PM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ttopaz
TJ, Already 2 threads about tires. Just buy Mich P2 or Conti GP 4000 and done with it. I like Vredestein Fortezza.
Its not like you are buying a house!
I'd like to trust what I'm riding downhill on at 50 mph
Old 08-06-07, 01:43 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to trust what I'm riding downhill on at 50 mph
You can trust the PR2's...I love going downhill fast, and have had mine up to 58 mph. No tire that I've tried inspires more confidence in me when the road points down hill.