Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tourney brifters and neos derailer

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-24, 01:18 AM
KYC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all, I'm looking to put dropbars on my dahon speed 7 2013. Anyone know if a tourney brifters are compatible with the neos derailer ? Or am I going to to get an adaptor and swap out the derailer
Old 03-29-24, 02:03 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
I’ve not come across any references to the Neos derailleur having a different cable pull to the standard Shimano setting for 7 or 8 speeds, or requiring a particular shifter. I would give it a go as you’ve planned.
Likes For Reddleman:
Old 03-29-24, 02:18 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Reddleman
I’ve not come across any references to the Neos derailleur having a different cable pull to the standard Shimano setting for 7 or 8 speeds, or requiring a particular shifter. I would give it a go as you’ve planned.
I concur; When I swapped out the Dahon compact derailleur in front of the axle, for a shimano mounted aft, the original grip shifter worked for both, same cable pull. HOWEVER, with the shimano, the shifting was reversed, to "normal" (like every other bike), meaning, crank back on the gripshift, pulls cable, the derailleur downshifts to the bigger cogs, works fine, just the numbers on the shifter are now wrong; Dahon derailleurs had "rapid rise" shift direction, crank back, pulls cable, the derailleur upshifts to the small cogs. I think that will still work with a brifter, the shifter doesn't care what direction the derailleur is moving, it just pulls a certain amount for each cog step.

My '08 Speed 7 does not have a rear (conventional) derailleur mount; I used a "claw-mount" derailleur that fits under the axle nut, and they make separate brackets to do the same and mount any derailleur. If yours has a rear hanger integral with the frame, or replaceable style, you don't need claw mount to mount a new derailleur. And my $13 new Shimano derailleur works vastly better than the original Dahon compact. It also has a mid-length GS cage so has enough capacity for me to put a 2X crank on it, without it hanging too low to the ground.

Big/big, small/small:

Last edited by Duragrouch; 03-29-24 at 02:33 AM.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 03-29-24, 07:42 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I

Is that a regular pulley for a 2:1 conversion?
Old 03-29-24, 09:48 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Is that a regular pulley for a 2:1 conversion?
If you mean the cable pulley on the rear derailleur, that was standard on that derailleur, it just allows a better angle for the cable. No 2:1 conversion.
Old 04-07-24, 01:14 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by KYC
Hey all, I'm looking to put dropbars on my dahon speed 7 2013. Anyone know if a tourney brifters are compatible with the neos derailer ? Or am I going to to get an adaptor and swap out the derailer
I recently changed out the neos on my Dahon Dash to a RD hanger and Ltwoo R9 (brifters 1x11; can be 2x11 too)
It was just finding the right hanger for the bike online (used Shopee here, but you probably can use AliExpress or Lazada, etc)
Despite my initial reservations, the Ltwoo works really well (easily Tiagra, 105 level, but so does most shifting systems when they are well cabled and tuned... )

No point hanging onto the Neos, imho, its just trying to extend the life of a dead horse and then you when you get further issues on the neos, you might
1. No longer be able to find the RD hanger (due to lack of demand )
2. Think that you spent time/effort making the Tourney+Neos work, so you want to find another Neos (dead horse) replacement..
Old 04-07-24, 10:34 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by pinholecam
I recently changed out the neos on my Dahon Dash to a RD hanger and Ltwoo R9 (brifters 1x11; can be 2x11 too)
It was just finding the right hanger for the bike online (used Shopee here, but you probably can use AliExpress or Lazada, etc)
Despite my initial reservations, the Ltwoo works really well (easily Tiagra, 105 level, but so does most shifting systems when they are well cabled and tuned... )

No point hanging onto the Neos, imho, its just trying to extend the life of a dead horse and then you when you get further issues on the neos, you might
1. No longer be able to find the RD hanger (due to lack of demand )
2. Think that you spent time/effort making the Tourney+Neos work, so you want to find another Neos (dead horse) replacement..
Agree, with a couple qualifiers.
- If the (separate, replaceable) RD hanger is recessed into the right dropout, yes, it must be the exact correct hanger, and there are far too many different ones (was recently a whole thread about that). My guess is it will still be available, but I could be wrong.
- If the RD hanger is not recessed into the right dropout, then it would probably require a claw-mount hanger under the right axle nut or quick-release, and that is pretty standard, easily available. If the bike is 7-speed rear, you can get a whole derailleur with integral claw mount for less than the cost of a claw mount hanger. $13 bought me a new Shimano Tourney TX RD, GS (mid) length cage, designed for 6/7 speed, works amazingly well for standard folder 1X (11-30, but should work up to 34) or 2X system, it has enough capacity for that. Vastly better shifting than the stock Neos RD.