Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon inner rim width

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon inner rim width

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 06:48 PM
zornitta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dahon inner rim width

Anyione can tell the Dahon Speed P8 (4130 frame) inner rim width?

I would like to know if I can fit 2.0/2.2 tires.
Old 12-16-23, 07:18 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
Will that size of a tire clear the frame and fork? I wouldn't worry about the rim width: in the early days of 29ers, I ran 2.1's on road rims, maybe i15 or so (and much later a 3" tire on an i19 rim). I think people make much too much of rim width relative to tire size.
Likes For seat_boy:
Old 12-17-23, 05:28 AM
zornitta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seat_boy
Will that size of a tire clear the frame and fork? I wouldn't worry about the rim width: in the early days of 29ers, I ran 2.1's on road rims, maybe i15 or so (and much later a 3" tire on an i19 rim). I think people make much too much of rim width relative to tire size.
Thanks for the reply. In my experience, old 2.1 were more like 1.9, and I used them on i17 with no problems. A true 2.1 on i15 looks a bit out of a safety norm. Someone here told about blow out in such configuration. If it is at least i17, I will be fine to ckeck the clearences.
Old 03-04-24, 11:04 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 332 Posts
https://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

(tire vs rim width compatibility chart)
Old 03-05-24, 06:16 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
I have been running 2" rear, 2 1/8" front tires on my Zizzo Liberte for a few years. So off the chart. While it somewhat effects the tire shape, I am not having problems.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 03-06-24, 01:20 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
I have been running 2" rear, 2 1/8" front tires on my Zizzo Liberte for a few years. So off the chart. While it somewhat effects the tire shape, I am not having problems.
I recall you mentioning this previously. Why do you run larger on the front? Or were those just the tires you had laying around?
Old 03-06-24, 03:36 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I have referred to the schwalbe chart for many years (not on new site thought)

I used to run the jetstream with kinetix comp wheel (like the speed p8) with 54-406 bmx tyres and it was fine. The limiting factor was the rear frame clearance. When my Dahon smooth hound was set as a flat bar gravel, I tried the same but I was limited to 47mm rear (black jack tyres).
with the kinetix comp pro (14 spokes) inner is 15mm and I run 35-406 in winter (which was Dahon default tyre on speed TT in early 2000's) or 32-406 and 28-406 in summer.
Old 03-06-24, 04:12 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Speed TR frame could not fit 2.15 tires with mudguards. I don't know if it would fit with the mudguards removed.
Old 03-06-24, 07:05 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
I recall you mentioning this previously. Why do you run larger on the front? Or were those just the tires you had laying around?
I already had a 20-inch Swift which had 2-inch tires on it. When I got the Liberte, it came with 1 1/2" tires. I thought that 2 1/8 should fit it, and I think they would have but for a fender problem in the rear (I am not sure if I am remembering what the problem was in the rear) but a 2" did fit, so I ended up using 2-inch in the rear of both bikes and 2 1/8" in the front. I would rather the wider tire in the front for more cushioning of the handlebars. When I replace the tires, I will stick with 2-inch.
Old 03-06-24, 11:15 AM
splithub

Bikes: FSIR Spin 2.0/Spin 5.1 Noahhk iF10

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Most likely you will have Kinetix Comp on your Speed with 17mm inner width. Kinetix Pro has 14mm, Kinetix Freedom 15mm. If you have single wall box rims you will have 19mm (21mm is also very common, not sure if with Dahon)
Old 04-11-24, 07:02 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
That's good to hear. I just spooned on a pair of 2.4" Odyssey Path Pros onto my Liberte. The rear is a tight fit but I have 3-4mm on either side to the chainstay. I'm not running fenders though

Originally Posted by Fentuz
I have referred to the schwalbe chart for many years (not on new site thought)

I used to run the jetstream with kinetix comp wheel (like the speed p8) with 54-406 bmx tyres and it was fine. The limiting factor was the rear frame clearance. When my Dahon smooth hound was set as a flat bar gravel, I tried the same but I was limited to 47mm rear (black jack tyres).
with the kinetix comp pro (14 spokes) inner is 15mm and I run 35-406 in winter (which was Dahon default tyre on speed TT in early 2000's) or 32-406 and 28-406 in summer.
Are these charts and rules of thumb assuming larger 700c wheels? Because it seems like it's much harder to mount and remove 20" tires due to their significantly smaller circumference (less wiggle room to play around with). I'd imagine that circumference plays a role here.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Old 04-11-24, 09:22 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by john m flores
That's good to hear. I just spooned on a pair of 2.4" Odyssey Path Pros onto my Liberte. The rear is a tight fit but I have 3-4mm on either side to the chainstay. I'm not running fenders though

Are these charts and rules of thumb assuming larger 700c wheels? Because it seems like it's much harder to mount and remove 20" tires due to their significantly smaller circumference (less wiggle room to play around with). I'd imagine that circumference plays a role here.
Good question. I cannot say conclusively. However, the bead wire (or kevlar, etc) should not be affected by tire width. But if they are using the same standard diameter difference between rim bead seat diameter and tire bead diameter, yes, a larger circumference tire bead, assuming the same wire diameter, will have a bit more stretch. Having said that, those wire or kevlar beads are pretty stiff, very little stretch; Mounting usually depends on the opposite side of the tire dropping into the center of the rim at a smaller diameter; This is the theory behind car wheels that have a "drop center"; Before that, to mount a tire, either you had a separate rim that bolted to the center flange, or the whole wheel parted in the middle via bolts. By the way, I read an article about sudden bike flats at high speed and the tire flapping loosely enough to come off the rim and jam in the fork, causing an accident; By building up the inside of the rim with tape to bead seat diameter, the tire stayed on. Thus, they recommended rims change to be like that. However, it may make mounting and unmounting the tires more difficult, because you lose the drop center.
Old 04-12-24, 03:24 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
I don't think so a it was for 26"/24"/27.5". It is more a question on section and load on from tyre bead to rim and then how it rolls.
For Hill climb racing, I was looking into a set of kinetix comp pro as supplied on dahon MU SL; I went to my local dealer (who bought the stock from Dahon Netherland/EU distributor) and they told me that over the year they had had may problem with these "king of folding " rim because they were 14mm IW and people rode with cheaper kojak or marathon in 35mm with pressure over 90psi. result was rim cracking/spliting at the nipple apex...

Now, I do not believe ease of mounting is down to size, I can swap a 35-406 kojak without any tool very easily when I fight with my 52-584 barzo. I think it is down to tyre design and side wall (marathon winter are horrible) and manufacturing tolerance.