Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Upgrade

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 07:27 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
This is what the Shimano Zee RD-M640-SS part looks like. I should mention that I have been using the Zee RD since 2016. In fact, I am still using that same Zee RD today, almost eight years later. At $60, it ain't cheap, though.

Yeah, that additional pivot, near the mount, the opposite side of the linkage from the cage, that appears to a sprung joint and not simply adjustable. When someone mentioned a "clutched" RD, I had thought that was it, but now know (I think you pointed out?), any clutch would be in the top cage pivot. It all makes sense. My $13 Tourney TX GS is still working great and offers adequate clearance, but if I ever tour and need lower than 21 gear inches, that should offer a perfect solution to go up to 40 or 42 low cog. (Again, because my bike is a tough fit for chainline on a triple crank, because combination of fat seat tube and FD adaptor, prevents the FD cage from going in far enough for a triple, with a good chainline).
Old 02-19-24, 07:39 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Yeah, that additional pivot, near the mount, the opposite side of the linkage from the cage, that appears to a sprung joint and not simply adjustable. When someone mentioned a "clutched" RD, I had thought that was it, but now know (I think you pointed out?), any clutch would be in the top cage pivot. It all makes sense. My $13 Tourney TX GS is still working great and offers adequate clearance, but if I ever tour and need lower than 21 gear inches, that should offer a perfect solution to go up to 40 or 42 low cog. (Again, because my bike is a tough fit for chainline on a triple crank, because combination of fat seat tube and FD adaptor, prevents the FD cage from going in far enough for a triple, with a good chainline).
My Zee job, a veteran of several tours. Scraped and battered once or twice, but still in perfect working condition.

Old 02-19-24, 07:45 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
My Zee job, a veteran of several tours. Scraped and battered once or twice, but still in perfect working condition.

Hmm, more marginal clearance than the video, but I think that demo was on a large wheel bike. What size rim, and what size low cog? I know you run a lot of 16" so I don't know if the above is 20". If the above pic is 16"/349 or 305, yeah, should be easy clearance on a 20"/406.

EDIT: But yeah, if the above is on 16", what amazing possibility now for fully external gearing on 16", especially with a 9 tooth high. A Dahon Curl or Brompton with same, that could make a convert out of me, at least as a travel bike.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-19-24 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-20-24, 05:07 AM
Duragrouch

Regarding my earlier statements about value these days, just saw, $1399, free shipping. Looks similar to Tern GSD, even has similar side decks, at a small fraction of the price:

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-20-24 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-25-24, 12:14 PM
Need41speed
BeastMaster

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Retrospec Spec (highly modified), EPX fixie

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
So many roadblocks with international purchasing. Wire transfer red tape, extreme shipping costs and refusal by international dealers to participate in trade are making obtaining the Mu Pro almost impossible. I have redirected my focus on upgrading my current folder stable until another possible solution presents itself.
Old 03-25-24, 07:56 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Regarding my earlier statements about value these days, just saw, $1399, free shipping. Looks similar to Tern GSD, even has similar side decks, at a small fraction of the price:
I know the smaller rear wheel is practical, but it looks so.... wrong (*shivers*)
Old 03-25-24, 08:24 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I know the smaller rear wheel is practical, but it looks so.... wrong (*shivers*)
At least it's not sporting an SGS RD. (*wink*)
Old 03-25-24, 08:36 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I noticed immediately and I agree, though many motorcycles have smaller rear wheels. I'm sure the larger front provides better ride, but I still like the approach of the Terns using fat and strong 20" wheels.