Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Saddle

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 08:22 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Specialized Saddle

After much patience, I've given the Body Geometry Toupé Sport that came standard on my Roubaix ample opportunity to work out ...and it just hasn't. So, I'm wondering if there's anyone that also had issues with this particular saddle, and if so, what did you upgrade to that worked? Did you stay in the Specialized equipment section, or go elsewhere?

Now, I've been here long enough to know that what works for one, doesn't necessarily equate to success for another ...if ever. Regardless, I'd be interested know in which direction you went. It'll at least be a starting point...
Old 12-11-17, 09:40 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Have a phenom expert on my Roubaix and Diverge that have been kind to derriere. YMMV.
Old 12-11-17, 11:08 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I tried the Toupé and instantly didn’t like it. I do now have a Phenom on my trainer bike (bianchi) and a power arc on my road bike (Canyon). The power arc has a larger cut out so it’s more comfortable in the drops than the Phenom. I bought the Phenom when the rails on an older Selle Italia finally cracked after 12 years and it was discontinued.

My Canyon came with a Fizik Arione saddle with no cutout or groove and it didn’t work for me. Ironically my MTB saddle is an older Fizik Pave saddle with no groove or cutout and it does quite well for me.

Last edited by jitteringjr; 12-11-17 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-12-17, 12:02 AM
cyclozone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently started using the Specialized Power Expert saddle and it has been the most comfortable saddle i’ve tried. It supports well when my back is about 45 degrees, and when I’m in an aero position, I hardly experience perineal pressure.
Old 12-12-17, 12:34 AM
draganm
b*r*ly ridi*g

Bikes: Masi Evoluzione

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hated that saddle too.
What's your body type, the Selle Italia SMP line offers a large range for different body-types but same basic principle of max Perennial pressure relief. I love mine, A Drakon, not cheap but worth it .(I'm a large rider at 230 pounds or so, )

This is also the best article I've ever read on bike saddles , and how I chose my model.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ll-about-smps/
Old 12-12-17, 07:18 AM
eric1971

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Flite Flow is my current saddle of choice.

Old 12-12-17, 08:41 AM
Capo72

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc SRAM eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclozone
I recently started using the Specialized Power Expert saddle and it has been the most comfortable saddle i’ve tried. It supports well when my back is about 45 degrees, and when I’m in an aero position, I hardly experience perineal pressure.

I concur with these statements. My LBS gave me a demo to try for a while. I was looking for slightly different contact points after struggling with some nagging, minor saddle sores from my Selle Italia Gel flow max. The big deal for me was the increased comfort while riding in the drops. I can go for a much longer time in the drops with the Spesh Power Saddle.
Old 12-12-17, 11:03 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Toupe cut into the back of my thighs.

Ended up riding Selle Italia SLR Carbonios for years, last year got a SLR Carbonio Flow or some such, when I cracked my old SLR Carbonio.

Get the occasional dingle tingle, so got a SLR Max Flow last time around. It helps, but doesn't completely eliminate the numbness. Luckily it's a minor problem as I can always just stand for 15 seconds if needed.

I also have Phenom on the cross bike, and it's fine too, just on the porky side weight wise.

Oh, and NO GEL EVER.
Old 12-12-17, 11:18 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Romin. It has a definite swoop profile which makes it a bit finicky to set up, but once I got it dialed in, it just disappeared.
Old 12-12-17, 11:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
It'll at least be a starting point...
The starting point is to identify *why* it's not working out for you. You're just throwing darts blindfolded, otherwise.
Old 12-12-17, 06:14 PM
bleui

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think for everyone that hasn't find their perfect saddle should at least try Spez Power saddle for at least a week of riding
Old 12-12-17, 09:51 PM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
I switched from Toupe to Fizik Antares and am happy. That said Specialized will let you return any saddle within 30 days so cant go wrong trying a bunch of those...
Old 12-12-17, 11:32 PM
DoYouDiverge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After my Toupe Sport broke after a fall, I tried the Specialized Power Saddle from the LBS and bought the Expert version the next day. Highly recommended.
Old 12-13-17, 08:13 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by jitteringjr
I tried the Toupé and instantly didn’t like it. I do now have a Phenom on my trainer bike (bianchi) and a power arc on my road bike (Canyon). The power arc has a larger cut out so it’s more comfortable in the drops than the Phenom. I bought the Phenom when the rails on an older Selle Italia finally cracked after 12 years and it was discontinued.

My Canyon came with a Fizik Arione saddle with no cutout or groove and it didn’t work for me. Ironically my MTB saddle is an older Fizik Pave saddle with no groove or cutout and it does quite well for me.
Originally Posted by cyclozone
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Toupe cut into the back of my thighs.

Ended up riding Selle Italia SLR Carbonios for years, last year got a SLR Carbonio Flow or some such, when I cracked my old SLR Carbonio.

Get the occasional dingle tingle, so got a SLR Max Flow last time around. It helps, but doesn't completely eliminate the numbness. Luckily it's a minor problem as I can always just stand for 15 seconds if needed.

I also have Phenom on the cross bike, and it's fine too, just on the porky side weight wise.

Oh, and NO GEL EVER.
Originally Posted by DoYouDiverge
After my Toupe Sport broke after a fall, I tried the Specialized Power Saddle from the LBS and bought the Expert version the next day. Highly recommended.
Originally Posted by Hapsmo911
I switched from Toupe to Fizik Antares and am happy. That said Specialized will let you return any saddle within 30 days so cant go wrong trying a bunch of those...
Thanks for the replies and recommendations...
I'll probably try several different Specialized saddles before considering other brands. Maybe the Power Expert and/or the Phenom Expert.
Pardon the inexperience, but how do you know if you need a 143mm, 155 or 168?
Old 12-13-17, 08:18 AM
WhyFi

Pardon the inexperience, but how do you know if you need a 143mm, 155 or 168?
You go to a Specialized dealer and ask to be measured on an Ass-o-meter.

You still haven't mentioned why your current saddle isn't working for you, though - what kind of discomfort are you having?
Old 12-13-17, 08:38 AM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by WhyFi

You still haven't mentioned why your current saddle isn't working for you, though - what kind of discomfort are you having?

What kind of discomfort? ...PAIN! More specifically, pain on my sit-bones "area".

When I first started back into cycling several years ago, padded shorts were a necessity on my Giant Roam. After a year or so of heavy riding, I could go non-padded even on rides over 50 miles and still be OK. With my Roubaix, no way I can go without pads, even for 5 miles. Padded shorts helps, but only minimally. I guess I could just put the saddle on my Roam (or one like it) on the Roubaix, but not sure if that would work considering one is obviously a hybrid, and the other a road bike.
Old 12-13-17, 08:43 AM
one4smoke

Really? Ass-o-meter??
Old 12-13-17, 09:13 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Really? Ass-o-meter??
Its essentially a foam block and you measure the distance between the sit bones dimples in the pad after you sit on it. WhyFi said it well
Old 12-13-17, 09:25 AM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by jitteringjr
Its essentially a foam block and you measure the distance between the sit bones dimples in the pad after you sit on it. WhyFi said it well
Just never heard that "phrase."
Old 12-13-17, 09:33 AM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I did this after years of trying to find the right saddle. Assometer said get this size, I did and VIOLA, I have been riding it ever since (Specialized Phenom).

IMO - Talking about what saddle will work, without first knowing your size, is like saying "These Nike running shoes hurt my feet" without first knowing your shoe size.
Only difference is that there are only a few saddle sizes so your chances of getting it right just by chance are greater than with shoes.
Old 12-13-17, 10:38 AM
WhyFi

What kind of discomfort? ...PAIN! More specifically, pain on my sit-bones "area".
Still not terribly specific - not sure if you're talking about tender tissue directly between the sit bones and saddle or if your "area" reference is hinting at perineum pain or something else. Start with getting measured, but a read through this may be informative, too - https://www.cervelo.com/en/engineeri...f-road-saddles
Old 12-13-17, 10:40 AM
WhyFi

Really? Ass-o-meter??
Old 12-13-17, 10:55 AM
one4smoke

Still not terribly specific - not sure if you're talking about tender tissue directly between the sit bones and saddle or if your "area" reference is hinting at perineum pain or something else. Start with getting measured, but a read through this may be informative, too - https://www.cervelo.com/en/engineeri...f-road-saddles
Generally, is a rider's body weight reflective of which size saddle would be an appropriate fit?
Old 12-13-17, 10:58 AM
one4smoke

Never having heard that phrase, just wasn't sure if you were pullin' my leg or not. LOL
Old 12-13-17, 11:02 AM
WhyFi

Generally, is a rider's body weight reflective of which size saddle would be an appropriate fit?
No. Sit bone width and ride position are the main factors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.