Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

To the driver who yelled "tyro"...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 03:52 PM
Noddy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear Driver,
This afternoon I went for a little 8 mile ride - the longest ride I've done after 7-8 years of medical problems. It was a lousy day and I thought a bike ride would put me in a better mood.
Well you know what? It did. Right up until your arrogant ass blasted the horn and yelled "TYRO" out the window as you blasted past me. You remember - where there is no bike lane and the narrow shoulder is full of sand, gravel and broken glass? Where there was a lady backing out of her driveway ahead of us and I was trying so hard to stay out of your way that I got whipped in the face by low branches?
Thanks for ruining a really nice ride and putting me right back in the black mood I was in earlier in the day.
Old 07-13-15, 04:08 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Never heard anyone use that word in Indiana. Not that I could understand, anyway - can't ever make out what motorists are yelling. I just pretend they said 'have a nice day'.
Old 07-13-15, 04:47 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Noddy
blasted the horn and yelled "TYRO" out the window .
I don't generally have annoyed Classic Language professors yell abbreviated Latin pejoratives at me for some reason.
Even in Cambridge MA it may not be common to have the Medieval Latin "Tyro", variant of Latin tiro (plural tirones) "young soldier, recruit, beginner," shouted in derision.

Do you live in a Cloistered abbey, Renaissance Fair or Oxford UK?

-Bandera
Old 07-13-15, 05:02 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Yeah, what the hell does tyro mean?
Old 07-13-15, 05:02 PM
Noddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
I don't generally have annoyed Classic Language professors yell abbreviated Latin pejoratives at me for some reason.
Even in Cambridge MA it may not be common to have the Medieval Latin "Tyro", variant of Latin tiro (plural tirones) "young soldier, recruit, beginner," shouted in derision.

Do you live in a Cloistered abbey, Renaissance Fair or Oxford UK?

-Bandera
LOL - no, far from it.
Could have been something else, IDK, but it sure sounded like it.
Old 07-13-15, 05:05 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
noun: tyro; plural noun: tyros; noun: tiro; plural noun: tiros
  • a beginner or novice.

I never can tell what anyone yells... I always assume they are words of encouragement or compliments about how nice my rear end looks in tights. I am sure that was the case in the OP's shouter too!

I am a solid (more than) 2000 mile a year rider. And because of shorter rides due to cold and rain... that puts me at about 117 rides a year. As of now... I've yet to have even one "bad" ride. Oh sure... I've had things happen, even made a couple "calls of shame". But I've enjoyed every ride.

If a bicycle ride can't cure a "black mood".... maybe it might be a good idea to discuss your moods with someone.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 07-13-15 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-13-15, 05:11 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
It means someone who thinks that the hardware used in cycling is more important than putting in quality seat time for performance advantage.

-Bandera
Old 07-13-15, 05:18 PM
mightymax

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Probably yelled something else but you couldn't exactly make it out due to their blowing by you. Whatever it was be sure it was derogatory in some manner... I know how just one of these types can ruin an entire ride..... Just be glad they didn't clip you with a mirror.....

Max Bryant
Old 07-13-15, 05:33 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Dear Driver,
This afternoon I went for a little 8 mile ride - the longest ride I've done after 7-8 years of medical problems. It was a lousy day and I thought a bike ride would put me in a better mood.
Well you know what? It did. Right up until your arrogant ass blasted the horn and yelled "TYRO" out the window as you blasted past me. You remember - where there is no bike lane and the narrow shoulder is full of sand, gravel and broken glass? Where there was a lady backing out of her driveway ahead of us and I was trying so hard to stay out of your way that I got whipped in the face by low branches?
Thanks for ruining a really nice ride and putting me right back in the black mood I was in earlier in the day.
That might be the first time someone yells something unintelligible at your ... but it won't be the last.

Smile and wave.
Old 07-13-15, 05:35 PM
Noddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
If a bicycle ride can't cure a "black mood".... maybe it might be a good idea to discuss your moods with someone.
The ride was doing a wonderful job - I was even able to ignore the first incident - a driver who honked the horn (gently) to let me know he was coming up on me and then yelled "move over" as he went by - on a stretch where the shoulder was broken pavement and I was on the white line.
Unfortunately that second one was just over the top I guess. I don't see how I could have handled it any differently, there was nowhere to stop and I wasn't about to "take the lane" (with someone right behind me) to give me some protection from the driver backing out ahead of me. She'd never have seen me on the shoulder, it wouldn't have been where her eyes would go. So that left me kind of limited options and an impatient and intolerant driver next to me.
Old 07-13-15, 05:39 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
The ride was doing a wonderful job - I was even able to ignore the first incident - a driver who honked the horn (gently) to let me know he was coming up on me and then yelled "move over" as he went by - on a stretch where the shoulder was broken pavement and I was on the white line.
Unfortunately that second one was just over the top I guess. I don't see how I could have handled it any differently, there was nowhere to stop and I wasn't about to "take the lane" (with someone right behind me) to give me some protection from the driver backing out ahead of me. She'd never have seen me on the shoulder, it wouldn't have been where her eyes would go. So that left me kind of limited options and an impatient and intolerant driver next to me.
Just shrug it off ... stuff like that happens.
Old 07-13-15, 05:56 PM
jgscisum 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bet if you thought long enough one could come up with a word they rhymes with TY-ROL, a**-hole. I wear hearing aids so I never understand what is yelled at me. I just smile and keep to myself. I sure I've been called a TYROL multiple times!
Old 07-13-15, 05:58 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
If you like riding on the road I am afraid you will have to get used to it.
Old 07-13-15, 06:05 PM
Noddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgscisum
I bet if you thought long enough one could come up with a word they rhymes with TY-ROL, a**-hole. I wear hearing aids so I never understand what is yelled at me. I just smile and keep to myself. I sure I've been called a TYROL multiple times!
Yeh, I thought of a few possibles.
Old 07-13-15, 06:11 PM
Noddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
If you like riding on the road I am afraid you will have to get used to it.
Struggling to get back into cycling for some years I've been aware of the possibility, maybe even a bit worried about it but short of taking the bike to a destination and riding laps around a park or something I don't have a lot of choice. Besides, the whole destination thing kind of ruins it - it won't be as frequent for one thing.

I don't know why things are the way they are but it sure does seem to me that there is an increase in aggression and hostility on the road and nobody seems to have any fear of the consequences of their actions. I'm amazed that there aren't more road rage deaths to be honest. I don't have any answers but I sure don't like it very much either.
Old 07-13-15, 06:12 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only "bad" rides I've had all year are the two where I got flat tires - and even those weren't too bad, I just killed an extra half hour and got my hands dirtier than I had originally planned fixing the flats. I actually get some perverse enjoyment out of any motorist who might say something nasty to me, as I am sure it comes from their own deep-seated feelings of inadequacy.
Old 07-13-15, 06:19 PM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Tyro implies you will improve. That's better than being a "Peter Principle" driver.
Old 07-13-15, 06:36 PM
OKIE_55

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember back in 2012 I was riding in town and two guys in a county truck went by, I heard them saying I was a want a be. All I could think was they were a never gone a be, with their beer guts sitting in a truck.
Old 07-13-15, 07:45 PM
rbrsddn

Bikes: '98 Rhygin SS road,'99 Fat Chance Ti Fat, '95 Azonic Mtn bike, '88 Giant Sedona.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Some older guy in a Miata yelled "H omo's!" at my buddy and me, last summer. We had to laugh at the irony!
Old 07-13-15, 07:56 PM
Noddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
It means someone who thinks that the hardware used in cycling is more important than putting in quality seat time for performance advantage.

-Bandera
Well he was barking up the wrong tree on the hardware aspect and missed by a mile if you count clothing so...

My understanding of "tyro" has always just been a beginner.
Old 07-13-15, 07:57 PM
Noddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrsddn
Some older guy in a Miata yelled "H omo's!" at my buddy and me, last summer. We had to laugh at the irony!
Now that's funny!
Old 07-13-15, 08:07 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Probably a Game of Thrones fan.

I never hear what they yell, it's garbled in the wind.

I just wave at them as they drive off. Way more satisfying than giving them the finger.

Most drivers are nice to bike riders. Don't let a few drivers spoil your ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ty.JPG (30.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-13-15, 09:09 PM
Noddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Probably a Game of Thrones fan.

I never hear what they yell, it's garbled in the wind.

I just wave at them as they drive off. Way more satisfying than giving them the finger.

The shame of it is that most drivers around here have been quite courteous, the worst thing that's happened is some trucks using a local road due to a detour and they don't give any margin for error. One of them I know for a fact is a terrible driver as he literally turned over a family member's car.
Old 07-13-15, 09:55 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear Driver,
Maybe he just mistook you for his friend, Tyrone?
Old 07-13-15, 10:08 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
This is true, fortunately. But sometimes it only takes 1 loser to ruin a person's ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.