Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rim damage from mounting tire

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-02-20, 03:34 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts

Hey shop monkeys, any of you encounter something like this? No pics available, but I think I can describe it well enough. Customer came in the other day with a tubeless wheel and Schwalabe tire that he is unable to mount. Looking at the rim it became apparent that a screw driver was used in the attempt to pry tire onto rim. In doing so the customer caught a spoke hole opening on the inside of the rim with the screwdriver and caved the rim in at that point. Looks much like a can opener was used. Of course the hook on the rim has a wave in it from being bent. The damage to the inside of the rim caused a crack to form so I told the guy that the rim needs replacement.

Any of you shop rats seen something like this?? First time for me.
Old 07-02-20, 03:56 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I'm not a shop rat but this doesn't surprise me. Be grateful for the ham fisted amateur though as it keeps mechanics and shops in business.
Old 07-02-20, 04:23 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Not a shop rat either, but the only thing that surprises me is that it was a Schwalbe tire. I have found them among the most easy to mount. What was the rim, out of curiosity?
Old 07-02-20, 05:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Not surprising too hear that somebody is having trouble mounting any tire on a tubeless ready rim. The 2 shelves on the floor of the rim that helps a tubeless tire seal, traps a lot of newbies trying to get a tire on/off the rim. I found this out the hard way, learned a bit and today advised a buddy on how to get his tire off and on a tubeless ready rim.

Rim for Mr. Can Opener is toast.
Old 07-03-20, 10:10 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Bent a rim using tire jack for the first time, but salvageable. Yours sounds like toast.
Old 07-03-20, 11:39 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Next time you need advice or service, refer to the mechanic as a monkey and see what happens.
Old 07-04-20, 09:11 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 320 Posts
Gee when I was a shop animal one of the first things the boss taught us was never to use a screwdriver or any piece of metal when mounting a tire. That’s a sure way to mess up something, like tire, tube, or rim. There are ways to get any tire mounted just by using hands and arms. One of my go to methods in extreme cases is to wear leather gardening gloves and just roll the tire onto the rim a little at a time making sure the tube is not getting caught between rim and tire.
Old 07-05-20, 12:10 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I've definitely seen this and more creative ways to break your bike from customers.