Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which Cane Creek headset on my Surly DT

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-20, 07:05 AM
TheCharm 

Bikes: 2015 Surly Disc Trucker & 2011 Trek 7.3fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Good day wrenches:

My 2015 Surly Disc Trucker has a Cane Creek headset. I'm about to replace the drops and the stem on my bike and that will give me the opportunity to service/clean/lube my headset bearings. The Surly spec sheet only says that a Cane Creek headset is used, but no model is specified that I can find. I know it is 1 1/8" threadless/pressfit set. Best I can gather from the Cane Creek website is that it's a model 110, but not sure if that would have been used in my 2015.

I'm just looking to look at a service manual and look at what parts I might need to have on hand. I think the bearings are sealed, and there's not much to do there except maybe clean and lube, is that right? Youtube has some videos on how to install, but not service. Maybe no regular service is required?

Sorry for what is likely an absolute noob question here. I generally try to perform basic maintenance on my bike but as I like my LBS, I have them do the heavy lifting - I want them to always be around. BUT the current covid pandemic situation has convinced me I need to be more self-sufficient in my bike mechanic skills, thus I'm starting to tackle things I've not considered before...
Old 07-21-20, 07:21 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
https://surlybikes.com/uploads/downl...15_Catalog.pdf

Most likely you have a Cane Creek 40 headset. Nothing wrong with this....really good headset.
The CC 110 has a lifetime warranty, including the bearings. The CC40... I think the 40 stands for 40 years. (I thought I read that on their website once but can't ind it)
Just take it apart and wipe it down, paying attention to how the bearing and any spacers are orientated. No need to regrease the bearings, but re-assemble with light grease.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 07-21-20, 07:24 AM
TheCharm 

Bikes: 2015 Surly Disc Trucker & 2011 Trek 7.3fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks for that reference - that's a good one to keep bookmarked!
Old 07-21-20, 08:14 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
You actually can re-grease the sealed bearings. Just use a thin blade of some type and carefully pry off the seal. Better if you take off both seals which makes it easier to flush out the old grease and dirt and add new grease but you can still get it done with only having one seal off. Bearings/Headset should last tens of thousands of miles with just some occasional service.
https://youtu.be/v6Jx-LIfZu8

Last edited by Crankycrank; 07-21-20 at 08:20 AM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 07-21-20, 12:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by TheCharm
Good day wrenches:

My 2015 Surly Disc Trucker has a Cane Creek headset. I'm about to replace the drops and the stem on my bike and that will give me the opportunity to service/clean/lube my headset bearings. The Surly spec sheet only says that a Cane Creek headset is used, but no model is specified that I can find. I know it is 1 1/8" threadless/pressfit set. Best I can gather from the Cane Creek website is that it's a model 110, but not sure if that would have been used in my 2015.

I'm just looking to look at a service manual and look at what parts I might need to have on hand. I think the bearings are sealed, and there's not much to do there except maybe clean and lube, is that right? Youtube has some videos on how to install, but not service. Maybe no regular service is required?

Sorry for what is likely an absolute noob question here. I generally try to perform basic maintenance on my bike but as I like my LBS, I have them do the heavy lifting - I want them to always be around. BUT the current covid pandemic situation has convinced me I need to be more self-sufficient in my bike mechanic skills, thus I'm starting to tackle things I've not considered before...
Unless you (or someone else) did a custom build on your Disc Trucker frame, it almost certainly does not have a Cane Creek 110 headset -- that is waaaay too pricey for such a bike. trailangel 's prediction is probably correct: it likely has a CC 40, which is a very good headset. And it is most likely fine, and only needs light coat of fresh grease. After five years, the bearings are probably in good shape.

By the way, the Cane Creek 110 headset does not have a lifetime warranty...It's warranty is 110 years. So mine will be warranted until I am...wait a minute...umm...166 years old. Well, I guess that is basically a lifetime warranty, after all. Never mind.
Likes For Koyote: