Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need a new bike seat

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need a new bike seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-20, 11:40 AM
Wttnwa

Bikes: 2003 Allez Specialized Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Need a new bike seat

When I got my used Specialized Sport it came without a seat and pedals. I had a pair of pedals and have since bought some clipless pedals. My brother gave me a old seat that he had but now I would like to get a new seat. There are so many designs and many say that they are the “most comfortable” and being 70, comfort is important. Before I put out my hard earned money, are there any recommendations on styles or designs? I know that this is one of those “There is no good answer“ questions, but any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-24-20, 12:00 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
You're not going to like hearing this but I think it's hunt and peck. A bike saddle that one person thinks is wonderful might feel like a picked fence to the next guy. My personal favorite for conventional bikes are Brooks seats. They're expensive, but they solved for me the issue of "numb manhood". Your mileage may be different.

FWIW, I only said "hurt and peck" because you're over 70. I'm not sure younger folks even know what that means.
Old 07-24-20, 12:03 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Having sat on a number of brands, ironically the least expensive has been my favorite and I have it on two bikes. The company is called Fabric and the version I have is the Scoop. They have been flawless. Clever, durable design with just enough padding and perfect flex where you need it. The website is very helpful and you won’t get ripped off. Highly recommend.
Old 07-24-20, 01:32 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I rode traditional leather saddles for decades but I recently started using a newer saddle on both bikes. I was feeling pressure in the center of the saddle and wanted a saddle with a relief channel.

I decided that I didn’t know what I wanted, so I’d start with a cheap and fairly standard saddle and see what I do and don’t like about it.

So I chose what I regarded as the generic, modern saddle: the WTB Volt.

Anyway, lots of miles and the uncomfortable pressure is gone.

Actually I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how I’m overall much more comfy with the Volt saddles. I’ve also tuned the bike fit quite a bit and I suspect that makes it easier to stay comfy in the saddle.

Oh, and I ride out of the saddle quite a bit, partly for strength building and partly to provide relief from pedaling repetition and constant saddle pressure. I think that helps a lot.

Anyway, I think it’s reasonable to start with a fairly ordinary modern saddle like the Volt or the Scoop and see how that does and what you do and don’t like.

Otto
Old 07-24-20, 01:43 PM
Oli_Aponte

Bikes: Custom steel bicycles made by me and a Felt B12

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Dad is relatively new to cycling. He's got a Scott CR1. Since he isn't very flexible, his saddle (seat) is at about the same height as his handle bar. He's tried quite a few saddles, the one that has suit him best is the Fizik Aliante R3, the larger/wider one. It took him a few rides to figure out the the perfect position for him, but ever since his first ride on it, he loved it.

That Aliante was mine at first, I have now settled on a Fabric Line Sport Shallow.
Old 07-24-20, 02:04 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,403 Times in 2,744 Posts
I like Terry saddles but I've had another brand that had a cut out and it was comfortable as well. The cut out is key, IMO.
Old 07-24-20, 02:05 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Unfortunately for me, I've been through at least 20 saddles. As you will find out, saddles are very individual and what is comfortable for one person won't work for others.

If I were you, I would start by trying to figure out your sit bone width. You can go to your local Specialized dealer and they have something called an Assometer. You sit on it and it will tell you your sit bone width. As an example, I have 130 mm sit bones and I ride saddles that are wider than 150mm. Once you have your width, you need to figure out if you want a long or short-nose saddle. Then you need to figure out flat vs curvey.

If you ask for saddle recommendations, you will get several people who will recommend Brooks leather saddles like the b17 or b17 Imperial. The main problem with leather saddles is that they weigh three times as much as a race saddles.

Here are a few suggestions to look at.

Specialized Power Comp Saddle. Comes in 145, 155, 168 widths and is a short-nose saddle and is the most popular Specialized saddle.

Bontrager Aeulous Comes in 145 and 155 and is a short-nose saddle with a wider nose.

Fizik Aliante Open R1 or R3. Comes in 143 or 153. This is a curvey saddle that is made for people who are less flexible and once dialed in is very comfortable.

Fizik Argo Tempo Comes in 145 and 160 width. This is a mid-length saddle that has a lot of cushion and is comfortable for rides under 50 miles.

Good luck on your saddle search.
Old 07-24-20, 06:38 PM
Wttnwa

Bikes: 2003 Allez Specialized Sport

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for the info, I appreciate it.
Old 07-24-20, 07:18 PM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Another consideration is a noseless saddle. I had numbness problems with my old Brooks saddle and many others until I found the "Spongy Wonder." Made in Canada. Very robust and very comfortable.
Old 07-24-20, 07:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
As well as the saddle itself, the exact height, tilt and fore and aft position are critical. An item that will help a lot is a 2-bolt seatpost, ie a seatpost with two fore and aft located bolts to act both as the clamp and adjust the tilt. The real blessing of those posts is that you can go for a ride, bring the wrench for the seat clamp on the post. Now you can stop and adjust the tilt without losing the reference. (On many post with one bolt, loosen the bolt and the seat flops down and slides along the clamp and you have lost all reference. With 2-bolt, loosen the back bolt as much as you need, slide the seat or tweak the front bolt to modify the tilt, then re-tighten the rear bolt. That easy. Reverse the procedure and you are right back where you started.)

Two excellent posts are the Nitto and the Thompson. (Thompson also sells its clamp hardware so any framebuilder with machining skills can make you a custom post with their excellent clamp.)

You are just starting so this may not be necessary for you and you have plenty else to think about. But keep in mind that if you have troubles getting seats to work for you, this could make a big difference,

Ben
Old 07-25-20, 02:21 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Wilderness trail bikes saddles

Old 07-25-20, 10:29 PM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I just got and do like a lot a Specialized body geometry Riva ....it is super comfortable and can be gotten for about $40.00 or less. It says designed for women....but very good for men as well.

Last edited by Tpsfoto; 07-25-20 at 10:33 PM.