Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best gravel/endurance frameset up to $ 1500 - 2000

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-20, 06:13 AM
Mrh58

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good day.

I am finishing my completely new bike build based on the Jamis Renegade Expert 2017 carbon frame. Each component is unique and carefully selected by myself, so a full bike from manufacturers is not an option. While components are in the process of delivery, I have time to think about the frame. I'm not ready to spend $ 3000 - 3500 on a top-end carbon frame at the moment, so I have a question: maybe is there a some frameset on the market up to $ 1,500 - $ 2,000 that would really make sense to consider for an upgrade?

It will be classic bike "for everything". I definitely love low frame weights and my main priority is still asphalt road, but the ability to make long trips (randonneuring) from time to time is also very important. The geometry, fit and handling of the renegade expert in 56 size are fine for me now, but i don't have expirience on any other frames, to be honest.

I apologize for some vagueness of the question and will be grateful for any opinions and advices. I might also consider to go with used or even chinese frameset, if it make sense.

Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2017_renegadeexpert_.pdf (403.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-25-20, 06:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrh58
Good day.

I am finishing my completely new bike build based on the Jamis Renegade Expert 2017 carbon frame.
I suggest you ride the Renegade you have until you discover some deficiency.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-25-20, 07:40 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 258 Posts
How much do you ride right now on what you have? As per the first response, I too think you should wait until you know specifically what is the limiting factor in your bike-bikes that is holding you back from your goals, whatever they may be. Too many times we all get caught up in thinking we need better equipment when in reality we would be better served to build better engines.
Old 07-25-20, 09:35 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Good day.

I am finishing my completely new bike build based on the Jamis Renegade Expert 2017 carbon frame. Each component is unique and carefully selected by myself, so a full bike from manufacturers is not an option. While components are in the process of delivery, I have time to think about the frame. I'm not ready to spend $ 3000 - 3500 on a top-end carbon frame at the moment, so I have a question: maybe is there a some frameset on the market up to $ 1,500 - $ 2,000 that would really make sense to consider for an upgrade?
Nelson Titanium Products custom frames start at under $2000.

You could have them build a traditional flat top tube frame with space for two 750ml water bottles and a full size frame pump.
Old 07-25-20, 10:38 AM
Mrh58

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RH Clark
How much do you ride right now on what you have? As per the first response, I too think you should wait until you know specifically what is the limiting factor in your bike-bikes that is holding you back from your goals, whatever they may be. Too many times we all get caught up in thinking we need better equipment when in reality we would be better served to build better engines.
Started riding a lot since this year. About 1000+ km per month. I'm enjoy a lot and getting fun from most type of cycling training, including sprint and climbing. It also nice to be on decent quality singletrack or gravel road. I will never have sporting goals, but the geometry of the bike should be able to provide a relatively comfortable fit for ultra-long distances (I definitely want to increase the maximum distance per ride from the current 300 km to at least 600 km in the next two years). As far as I observing of the cycling industry, it is quite normal for average cyclist like me to have one bike for everything.

Every upgrade I choose, like an EZ-shaped handlebar or flexible seatpost, make clear sense and seems logical for me. The problem with a bicycle frame is that there cannot be any "limiting factor" for recognizing, it always based on personal expirience for everyone. For example, If I were riding on a much heavier steel frame, I would also not be able to formulate what goals cannot be achived with her.
This is also true for the wheelset, but unlike the frame, the cost of replacing heavy aluminum wheels for lightweight tubeless carbon chinese rims is not high enough, so i can afford myself to try.

For now my plan is save this frame at least for a year or two, but who knows, maybe if someone's advice or judgment will change my mind.

Last edited by Mrh58; 07-25-20 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-25-20, 11:05 AM
Mrh58

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Nelson Titanium Products custom frames start at under $2000.

You could have them build a traditional flat top tube frame with space for two 750ml water bottles and a full size frame pump.
I was thinking about switching to a titanium frame, its durability and the ability to get a unique optimal fit looks attractive. My main concern is that after carbon fiber I won't get any visible ride comfort benefits, but may feel a decrease in the bike's speed performance. In this case, it will feel for me like a downgrade for a very decent price
Old 07-25-20, 11:24 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Pics of your Renegade? Unique parts are always interesting
Old 07-25-20, 11:24 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
I think the answer to your shiny new bike desire is to polish what you've got with Pledge. That week-old or 6-month-old bike will polish right up.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-25-20, 11:29 AM
Mrh58

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Pics of your Renegade? Unique parts are always interesting
It's stock version now) Waiting for everything to arrive to start assembling. I will certainly share it when it will be ready.
Likes For Mrh58:
Old 07-25-20, 11:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
I still dont understand why you don't just build the Jamis frame. You bought components based off using the Jamis frame...so use it.
Build the Jamis, ride it, then buy something different if you don't like the Jamis for whatever reason(s). That way you can get something different that corrects what you dislike.

Or just buy a Fairlight Secan frameset for gravel/touring/bikepacking/paved riding. A Fairlight Strael 2.0 could work well too if you continue to prioritize paved roads.
Well designed and built frames.
Old 07-26-20, 12:20 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I was thinking about switching to a titanium frame, its durability and the ability to get a unique optimal fit looks attractive. My main concern is that after carbon fiber I won't get any visible ride comfort benefits,

comfort has little or nothing to do with frame material, but everything to do with geometry, how the bike is fitted to you and the wise, experienced choice of contact points - saddle, shoes, shorts, handlebars, tape, gloves and TIRES. So whether you notice ride comfort benefits is totally up in the air and no assumption can be made. Unless your current bike is really satisfactorily comfortable and for some reason you can't match all of the above in the new frame. Or if you can improve on it with the new frame...

but may feel a decrease in the bike's speed performance.
In this case, it will feel for me like a downgrade for a very decent price
Nah. I really can't imagine that any speed difference would actually be noticable. You might notice a change for better or worse of "feeling" of liviliness, responsiveness, handling and that might translate to a "feeling" of changed speed, but I doubt it will be actual. Not to dismiss this stuff. If a bike feels better in these ways, it's better!

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I think the answer to your shiny new bike desire is to polish what you've got with Pledge. That week-old or 6-month-old bike will polish right up.
Really!

Last edited by Camilo; 07-26-20 at 12:25 AM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-26-20, 01:09 AM
Mrh58

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Camilo
comfort has little or nothing to do with frame material, but everything to do with geometry, how the bike is fitted to you and the wise, experienced choice of contact points - saddle, shoes, shorts, handlebars, tape, gloves and TIRES.
This is exactly the reason why I am not sure about titanium. If the effect of all these "vibration damping" is so negligible, why I need to choose titanium instead carbon? Especially if the carbon frame can have a slightly lower weight and slightly better stiffness values for the same price.

The main advantage of titanium for me is that it is easier to manufacture than carbon. Here in Moscow there are a two local guys with decent work experience who are manufacturing custom titanium frames for same price or even lower. We also have a good bikefit studios here. So, if I will choose titanium for years, probably it make sense for building custom frameset. The opportunity to build a frame according to a unique drawing which based on my personal biomechanical characteristics looks very attractive. Especially for extreme long-distance riding, when every millimeter of geometry change begins to matter. On the other hand, the weight of locals frameset will be significantly heavier (about 1,7+ kg without fork).
Old 07-26-20, 07:07 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Ride the Jamis. If it turns out you dont like it for some reason get the custom, made in Moscow titanium frame.
Likes For Gconan: