Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Big rider on old bike

Old 07-22-20, 09:23 PM
Cdubb79w

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big rider on old bike

Hi all,

I am looking to pick up a used road-ish type bike for under $60 bucks to use for weight loss. I’m 6’2” 315 pounds, Im going to look at an old Viscount bike next week, I’m new so I can’t post photos but it’s in my gallery. At my weight I’m a little concerned if the old bike can hold up to me. I should note I am aware on old Viscount bikes about the “death fork” I’m making another post about that. What can I do in general to sure up an old bike for me? I have a Diamondback mountain bike that I know will hold me but I really want something “sportier”. I went for a hard ride the other day and it left me wanting something different. Despite my poor condition I can still move along pretty fast on a bike and cover some ground so I want to embrace that if I can.

Thoughts?
Old 07-23-20, 11:08 AM
Moriarty

Bikes: 2011 Trek Allant, 1990(?) Miele Tivoli Road Issue, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 2000 Kona Hahanna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I think looking for a $60 bike for anyone is a dice roll, let alone one for a bigger rider. Give it a shot but be careful. I'm not sure what I would recommend for upgrades to strengthen the bike because I'm not sure it will be worth it. Which doesn't mean that you can't have fun with the bike. Just accept that with a cheap old bike you're taking a risk. Anyways, I hope it works out for you.
Old 07-28-20, 11:20 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
cheap old bikes

cdub79w all I ride is cheap old bicycles. My present Nishiki Sebring cost $105. $35 for the frame and all the components and $70 for the undamaged Kabuki front fork. That was just the start. About $375 in two wheel sets and several hundred dollars in replacing everything else on the bike. I wanted a bike to carry 280#'s safely, reliably and comfortably. Just be aware at our weights and in my case height the bill will grow as you make your bike a reliable Clyde hauler. Most older name brand steel frame road and MTB bikes will hold up to hauling your weight. That said you will probably have to change the freewheel rear wheel for a cassette wheel. The cassette axle design is much less prone to bending under our weights. Good luck on your bicycling journey.