Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First Crash - Advice Requested

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-18-15, 12:37 PM
alfredoR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a recreational rider that has been taking cycling more serious since October 2014. I have seen some improvements and with my weight loss I've gotten faster. I'm still learning bike control (can't ride with my hands off the handlebars for long and can't do a track stand)

Anyway, Saturdays I do a group ride that is semi peloton style in the sense that it is about a 54 mile ride with three designated areas for increasing speed. The first section is "the warehouse" which is three laps with a sprint finish and everyone who gets dropped within the three laps waits at the finish. The second is section is a long straight and the third is loop called "el hueco" which consists of another 3 laps with a sprint finish.

I decided to conserve my energy for the "el hueco" section and at least give a strong leadout (the fast guys usually pass me right at the end anyway.)
Anyway, on the last lap, on the last straight away, I'm moving up the field quickly holding a wheel and waiting for an opening so I can empty the tank.
We are taking the right side of one driving lane and a rider from the center of the same lane saw that my train was pulling through and he merged into me hitting me on my body and handlebars sending me flying to the curb. I didn't want to overcompensate and fly back into the group and take out 20+ guys so I ended up in the swale instead. Damage done was a slightly damaged tire, wheel a bit out of true and the braking surface on the front wheel was scuffed (can it be fixed) (and some mulch stain on my Danny Shane jersey I'm not to happy about.) After popping the chain back on i was able to finish the ride back to the car. As for my health, I'm a little sore but if my bike were available I'd be out there this afternoon on a recovery ride. I was lucky.

I was completely blindsided, I never saw the guy coming. I try to stay away from overlapping wheels and I'll stick a hand out and gently pat someone that might be coming up on me and at the point of impact I was vocal, communicating with the rider in front of me that I was going to Go! Maybe I could of yelled "on your right" but I thought that redundant during a bunch sprint. I had to see the video at home to find out who hit me. Looking at the video, the guy came back but never apologized or mentioned it was him.

I'm here for advice and opinions and I want to make this a learning experience and want to be able to avoid or prevent this from happening again. Next time I might not be so lucky with a nice cushy grass swale to land in.

Here is the video, the crash happens just after the 37 minute mark (don't expect anyone to watch the whole video)

Thanks for your time.

https://youtu.be/oWDa1gtir_o?t=37m

Last edited by alfredoR; 05-18-15 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 12:46 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A cheap pump in his spokes on the next ride should show him what you think of him.

GH
Old 05-18-15, 12:52 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Why is everyone squirreling all over the place?
Old 05-18-15, 12:53 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
That was my take away, too.
Old 05-18-15, 12:54 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
A cheap pump in his spokes on the next ride should show him what you think of him.

GH
Cinzano!

Old 05-18-15, 01:04 PM
alfredoR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no idea. There are usually better guys up front. I guess fatigue. I was disappointed because I felt like I had some in the tank to really push the pace, we were halfway there.

Last edited by alfredoR; 05-18-15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 01:05 PM
asiantrick

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It seems like no one is staying on their lines, everyone squirreling around everywhere. There are so many dangerous maneuvers in this group ride. I would find another group if I were you.

BTW, nice jersey bro, I have the same one lol

Last edited by asiantrick; 05-18-15 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 01:13 PM
Deontologist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why is the group taking up the space of two lanes? Why are most of the riders in the center turn lane of all lanes?!

Find a better group to ride with.

ETA - I noticed further in the video that some riders were even in the opposing lane. Wow. A group that takes all 3 lanes on a roadway. I definitely say find a better group of riders and not a bunch of posers with Cosmics and Madones.

Last edited by Deontologist; 05-18-15 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 01:17 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Super crazy crosswinds??? But yeah, not one person seems to be able to keep their line. Find a new group
Old 05-18-15, 01:34 PM
alfredoR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I've built up a sweet Damny Shane collection. Have 10 jerseys and 2 bibs for weekend only rides.

Definelty need to find another ride in south Florida. Any recommendations?
As for the lanes, its a warehouse type area little no traffic (although out of habit I stay out of oncoming lanes)
Old 05-18-15, 01:52 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
What kind of bike is the gentleman right in front of you on? He has a blue jersey with the high viz socks and helmet. Hard to get a good look at it.
Old 05-18-15, 01:54 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks like mr Bike World liked the wheel you were on and decided he'd take it. As a learning tool, you could pull a few of those guys aside and practice some bumping drills. In your video, you're basically in a race scenario and bumping drills go a long way in staying safe in a race. Take three of your good best bike riding buddies (wear shoddy kits), go out to a nice big grassy area and while riding slowly at first, bump eachother. Bump shoulders, hips, bars, etc. You will crash doing this, so do it on grass. Get comfortable making contact and reacting to contact, learning how to counter balance your weight, and so on. With that level of comfort, as mr Bike World comes into you, you'd have have the ability to lean back in on him to not only preserve you spot on that wheel, but also keep yourself from hitting the deck.

edit: search posts by @carpediemracing as he'll have plenty of stuff (writeups and video) on contact comfort.

Last edited by hack; 05-18-15 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 01:59 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by alfredoR
I'm here for advice and opinions and I want to make this a learning experience and want to be able to avoid or prevent this from happening again. Next time I might not be so lucky with a nice cushy grass swale to land in.
I'm with the others here -- those guys are lunatics. Riding close and fast is safe enough, but when people move about like a swarm of bees, it's time to drop back if you don't want to crash on a regular basis.
Old 05-18-15, 02:04 PM
alfredoR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
What kind of bike is the gentleman right in front of you on? He has a blue jersey with the high viz socks and helmet. Hard to get a good look at it.
If you pause it at 37:25, the fork looks like a Pinarello or Chinarello I guess. No decals
Old 05-18-15, 02:17 PM
alfredoR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Looks like mr Bike World liked the wheel you were on and decided he'd take it. As a learning tool, you could pull a few of those guys aside and practice some bumping drills. In your video, you're basically in a race scenario and bumping drills go a long way in staying safe in a race. Take three of your good best bike riding buddies (wear shoddy kits), go out to a nice big grassy area and while riding slowly at first, bump eachother. Bump shoulders, hips, bars, etc. You will crash doing this, so do it on grass. Get comfortable making contact and reacting to contact, learning how to counter balance your weight, and so on. With that level of comfort, as mr Bike World comes into you, you'd have have the ability to lean back in on him to not only preserve you spot on that wheel, but also keep yourself from hitting the deck.

edit: search posts by @carpediemracing as he'll have plenty of stuff (writeups and video) on contact comfort.
Thanks for the direction. I'm working on my bike control during the week. No hands, communication, close quarters, bumping shoulder to shoulder with friends. I'm really good about being aware of my surroundings and not taking someones spot and holding my line, almost to a fault because some people like to take your wheel. I wasn't prepared to be pushed so hard from my spot. I've been nudged before and have put my shoulder out to absorb a nudge but I have to see it coming. But like I said I'm nowhere near race level, I just wanted to push myself safely in a spirited sprint.. I really hope he didn't do that on purpose and he just forgot to check his side. I can handle a nudge-like incidental contact but not that. If he would have accelerated into the spot in stride I would have seen him coming and conceded the spot but I was surprised.
Old 05-18-15, 02:21 PM
Deontologist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want to keep riding with this group I would stick in the back. Behind everyone​.
Old 05-18-15, 02:42 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alfredoR
Thanks for the direction. I'm working on my bike control during the week. No hands, communication, close quarters, bumping shoulder to shoulder with friends. I'm really good about being aware of my surroundings and not taking someones spot and holding my line, almost to a fault because some people like to take your wheel. I wasn't prepared to be pushed so hard from my spot. I've been nudged before and have put my shoulder out to absorb a nudge but I have to see it coming. But like I said I'm nowhere near race level, I just wanted to push myself safely in a spirited sprint.. I really hope he didn't do that on purpose and he just forgot to check his side. I can handle a nudge-like incidental contact but not that. If he would have accelerated into the spot in stride I would have seen him coming and conceded the spot but I was surprised.
It probably wasn't intentional on their part, just an accidental swerve/lean/whatever. Looked like their speed was dropping/dropped considerably and at worst they were looking to jump into your faster moving train and didn't check for oncoming traffic. The more you do the drills the more comfortable you'll get and it will become a natural reaction when you're not expecting contact.
Old 05-18-15, 04:27 PM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that's one of the most dangerous groups of riders i've ever seen...
Old 05-18-15, 04:29 PM
motorthings

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Deontologist
If you want to keep riding with this group I would stick in the back. Behind everyone​.
or maybe far ahead?
Old 05-18-15, 04:37 PM
alfredoR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
Yeah, looking back it is rather sketchy. I need to find a group with a nice pace line to practice in.

Here is a clip from last month of the same last turn and straightaway but with better riders up front. I led some guys that I know up to the front and was able to give it my all that time. There was a headwind in this video.

https://youtu.be/mj-uxS4lfAY?t=31m50s Does it still look as squirrelly? For comparison, does anyone have a video of their group ride with intermittent max efforts should look like? Aside from charity rides and my weekly training rides, this is all I've experienced.

Last edited by alfredoR; 05-18-15 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 04:43 PM
alfredoR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motorthings
or maybe far ahead?
I'm not fast enough.
Old 05-18-15, 04:57 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dig it. There is so much stupid going on there it hurts.

To the OP. Here is your lesson for the day: always leave yourself an out. Trying to pass next to the curb is stupid.

Doesn't seem like the dude who clipped you even knew you were there. Remember, if someone else has your bars, they own your @ss.
Old 05-18-15, 05:25 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Here's a real race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6LBWv_jbI
Old 05-18-15, 05:54 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Wow, just wow. What a bunch of squirrely ****ers. This is a training film for what not to do.
Old 05-18-15, 06:10 PM
fastk9dad

Bikes: Specialized Tricross, Cannondale CAAD10

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with everyone else that it looks like a dangerous group ride. Seems like there are a lot of different abilities out there and less experienced are the cause of all the squirrellyness. It almost look as the guy that hit you was moving over because someone else might have been moving over on him.

People need to be predictable in groups like that or accidents will happen. The only thing predictable from what I saw was that it was mostly unpredictable. Passing on the right like that is a bad idea, if your hole closes... well you know what happens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.