Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

"You're gonna kill somebody on that bike!"

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 12:10 AM
dw231

Bikes: 2004 NEXT Avalon "Mikhaila", 2014 Kent Del Rio "Anastasía"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I was riding the other day on a two-lane highway with no shoulder, over as far to the right as possible without rumbling, and a pickup truck came up behind me and went to pass. But there was an oncoming car, which had to take the ditch to avoid a collision, and the truck passed anyway and blew its horn.

All this was quite dramatic enough, but a mile or so down the road, the driver of the pickup was waiting at the end of his driveway and said to me, "You're gonna kill somebody on that bike! Why don't you ride down [another] road?" I didn't really respond to his complaint and kept riding, as did a state trooper who was passing the house at the same time.

I know I have a legal right to use whatever public road I choose (with a few exceptions), and I was holding up my responsibility to ride as far to the right as practicable. If anyone would have been culpable for killing someone, wouldn't it have been the driver who passed into oncoming traffic? I just figure he was mad for having narrowly escaped a horrific crash, and was looking for a scapegoat.

Opinions? Recommendations? I felt I had to share.
Old 08-14-15, 12:25 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
No, you weren't riding appropriately. Most states note that cyclists need not ride to the right of a lane when the lane is not wide enough for a motor vehicle to safely pass a bike while remaining completely within the lane. When that is the case, as it clearly was in your example, you are supposed to ride far enough out into the lane that any overtaking motorist can see that s/he will have to change lanes to pass you.

There's also the notion that practicable implies safe. As you saw, hugging the edge of a narrow lane is not safe and is therefore not practicable. The motorist was wrong to pass when the oncoming lane wasn't clear, but you did issue him an invitation by riding too far to the right.
Old 08-14-15, 01:24 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The motorist was absolutely in the wrong to attempt a dangerous pass, but on narrow two-lane roads without a shoulder it's advisable to ride more center and take the lane. This forces motorists to wait until they can safely make a proper wide pass, rather than trying to squeeze by when there's oncoming traffic, as happened to you. This is good for everyone's safety, since you won't deal with extremely close passes as often, and more ambitious motorists are less likely to put themselves (and oncoming traffic) in danger.

On a semi-related note, I just ran into the flip-side scenario. Today I was in an extremely wide lane which usually has cars parked on the right side, and I unthinkingly took my usual (center) riding line even though the right side was open*. A truck was trying to turn right into my lane from a side road, and he took my position as an invitation to do so even while I rode by, making a sort of scary close undertake.

Generally it seems advisable to hang right if the lane is wide and there's a safe shoulder/side/whatever, and take the lane if it's too skinny to safely and comfortably share with a motor vehicle.

*It's a short stretch and I can see the whole thing, so there was no danger of having to weave out from parked cars farther up the road.

Last edited by HTupolev; 08-14-15 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-14-15, 01:30 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Laws re: lane placement vary by state, but all states give cyclists the right to the road, and place responsibility for passing safely squarely on the passing vehicle, nor the vehicle being passed, nor on the one coming in the opposite direction.

There was a simple remedy whereby the pickup driver could have passed safely and that was to wait for an opportunity to do so when the oncoming lane was clear for a sufficient distance.

There's a certain irony here because it takes much less distance to pass a bicycle (typically) than a slow moving truck for example.

Of course some drivers flip out if presented with a choice between passing with an oncoming car ahead, and dropping down to a bicycle's speed for a few hundred yards.

In your shoes, I'd just tune it out and continue to enjoy my day.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-14-15, 02:05 AM
dw231

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all this input, especially at this odd hour. I hadn't considered that riding to the right was an implied invitation to blow me off the road. Of course, I always take the shoulder if there is one or where it's required, and 75% of traffic fully take the left lane when passing me anyway. I wasn't aware that I could be entitled to the entire lane if there is no shoulder. I am aware that traffic has to give me three feet, though. I'm going to have to recheck my state's laws.

EDIT: I've checked the laws, and although it does say I should ride as close as practicable to the right curb or edge, one of the exceptions is a condition in which the lane is of "substandard width," meaning too narrow for a vehicle and a bicycle to pass side-by-side within the lane. Considering that a typical car or truck is around six feet wide and my bike is almost two, there is clearly not enough room in a ten-foot lane for a pickup truck to pass me and give me the required three feet. A twelve-foot lane may be a different story.

Last edited by dw231; 08-14-15 at 02:23 AM. Reason: More information
Old 08-14-15, 02:14 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Your lane placement is a different issue, and it can be contentious, but it had little to do with what happened here.

Based on your account, the other driver did move over into the oncoming lane, as evidenced by the oncoming driver having to move over to avoid a collision. Had you been farther to the left, the pickup would have moved over even more possibly to the point where a head-on collision would have been unavoidable.

No matter how you slice it, what made this a dangerous situation was the pickup drivers decision to pass with inadequate distance to clear and return to his lane. IMO, he's lucky you were on a bike, because if he pulled the same stunt passing a semi he'd be dead now.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-14-15, 03:11 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by dw231
So, I was riding the other day on a two-lane highway with no shoulder, over as far to the right as possible without rumbling, and a pickup truck came up behind me and went to pass. But there was an oncoming car, which had to take the ditch to avoid a collision, and the truck passed anyway and blew its horn.

All this was quite dramatic enough, but a mile or so down the road, the driver of the pickup was waiting at the end of his driveway and said to me, "You're gonna kill somebody on that bike! Why don't you ride down [another] road?" I didn't really respond to his complaint and kept riding, as did a state trooper who was passing the house at the same time.

I know I have a legal right to use whatever public road I choose (with a few exceptions), and I was holding up my responsibility to ride as far to the right as practicable. If anyone would have been culpable for killing someone, wouldn't it have been the driver who passed into oncoming traffic? I just figure he was mad for having narrowly escaped a horrific crash, and was looking for a scapegoat.

Why would you even question yourself?
The size of your vehicle (bike in this case) does not put any of the responsibility of an overtaking driver on you. They are completely responsible for their actions.
Old 08-14-15, 03:46 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Did the pickup actually run a car off the road? Was the car wrecked? I could imagine some liability debate there, but only between the car and pickup.

But, as others have mentioned, the pickup did an unsafe pass. But, I also see many people that pass where I would not deem there being enough forward visibility. However, I'm unable to avoid certain roads I ride on as there are no alternatives.

I actually like to ride as far right as possible for several reasons.
  • 99% of the traffic are driving in a place on the road where they would not hit me even if they didn't move over an inch, or didn't see me in time to react.
  • If for some reason they don't see me early enough to react, there is less they have to do to avoid colliding with me.
  • If they do choose to give me the 4' or 5' clearance they are legally required to give, they can get out, and back into the lane quicker.
  • It is polite and perceived to be "sharing the road" rather than "hogging the road"
  • A competent driver should be able to determine when they think it is safe to pass any vehicle, car, truck, tractor, or bicycle regardless of lane striping.

Keep in mind that if a pickup can't see an oncoming car around a blind corner in time to do a safe pass, they may not be able to see a bicycle in the middle of the lane in time to react. And, I don't want to count on milliseconds of reaction time.
Old 08-14-15, 03:48 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
Why would you even question yourself?
The size of your vehicle (bike in this case) does not put any of the responsibility of an overtaking driver on you. They are completely responsible for their actions.
Liability... NO.
But, I would still feel bad if someone was injured because of unsafe passes.
Old 08-14-15, 04:34 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Riding a bicycle on the highway is inherently dangerous. Stuff like this is gonna happen from time to time. Learn to live with it, or find another means of transportation/recreation.
Old 08-14-15, 04:54 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The driver of the pickup truck made me laugh. When he said you would get someone killed. It is the motorist's choice to make a dangerous pass. The cyclist is not responsible for that.
Old 08-14-15, 06:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
PA has a four-foot law. (Yes. Four feet, not three.) The legislation also provides that a motorist may cross a double yellow line to give a cyclist 4' but only if oncoming traffic is far enough away.

When I did my first tour across PA I was worried about Pennsyltucky pickup truck drivers blowing me off the road. Overall, they turned out to be the most courteous. That was also the case during my second tour across PA the following year. In fact, some of them (and other motorists) gave me incredibly wide berths. It's mostly the urban and suburban drivers who need educations.
Old 08-14-15, 06:24 AM
dw231

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For anyone wondering, no, the oncoming vehicle was not damaged and was able to pull back up onto the road and continue, though I'm sure the occupants were thoroughly shaken. I never really questioned the extent of my liability for what did or could have happened; I've only questioned what sort of logic the driver of the pickup was using to blame me. And finally, yes, I accept the nature of riding on a highway. Things happen. All I can do is to make sure I'm as prepared as I can be and that I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

Again, thanks to everyone who has commented. I figured this kind of thing could happen; this is just the first (and likely not last) time it's happened to me.
Old 08-14-15, 09:45 AM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me get this straight.... you were buzzed by an impaired driver, and later when you were lucky enough to identify him and inform 911, you gave this road menace a pass?
Dangerous drivers should be reported to the law.

And like others have said.... Take the lane on narrow roads.
Old 08-14-15, 09:52 AM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
reminds me of the story of a few cyclist who happen to do the right thing and take the lane, but it was a cop who tried to pass on the opposite side of the road. Unfortunately it was a blind turn and when a car was seen coming up the road instead of the cop slowing down he basically mowed over the cyclist he was trying to pass..

You're dammed if you do...
Old 08-14-15, 11:50 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Laws re: lane placement vary by state, but all states give cyclists the right to the road, and place responsibility for passing safely squarely on the passing vehicle, nor the vehicle being passed, nor on the one coming in the opposite direction.

There was a simple remedy whereby the pickup driver could have passed safely and that was to wait for an opportunity to do so when the oncoming lane was clear for a sufficient distance.

There's a certain irony here because it takes much less distance to pass a bicycle (typically) than a slow moving truck for example.

Of course some drivers flip out if presented with a choice between passing with an oncoming car ahead, and dropping down to a bicycle's speed for a few hundred yards.

In your shoes, I'd just tune it out and continue to enjoy my day.
100%!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-15, 12:48 PM
choteau

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll take the lane if needed, but most of the time I'm with Clifford as to where in the lane to ride. Also keep in mind most states have a "slow moving vehicle" law, in which the slow vehicle is required to pull over/off the road at the first SAFE place to allow faster traffic to pass. In Oregon bicycles are vehicles when on the road.
Old 08-14-15, 12:54 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It's not a "cycling issue", its a people issue, I encounter the same issue driving a semi in an urban environment. Some feel that anything impeding their goals or desires is a menace that gives them the right to circumvent it as they choose, and if it doesn't work as planned its the other guys fault.
Its an issue without a solution other than not inviting it by unintended accommodation, or over reacting in a way that creates further conflict that could otherwise be avoided in the first place.
Old 08-14-15, 02:43 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
In TN there is no law requiring a cyclist to use the shoulder of a roadway. You can if you want to, but are never required to. Also the impeding vehicle law applies to motor vehicles only. Of course it's courteous to pull over *when safe* (not necessarily at the first sign of one or more vehicles behind you) if there are a few cars behind you and clearly no opportunity to safely pass within view ahead. I do that at one spot on my commute and use it to take a break at the same time.

My commute is on 2-lane no shoulder roads for about 20 of the 31 miles round trip. This is my default road position, and 99.9% of motorists change lanes to pass. I have MAYBE 1 or 2 close passes in a month, riding 300-400 miles a month.

Also in MS (can't remember for TN) it is explicitly LEGAL for a motorist to pass a cyclist on a double yellow when it's clearly safe to do so. Unfortunately a few still pass when it's not safe, but for the most part people wait until it's safe, sometimes even too long. However, even the idiots that pass in the face of oncoming traffic STILL give me a full lane change to pass.

Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 08-14-15 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-14-15, 04:48 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
It's not a "cycling issue", its a people issue, I encounter the same issue driving a semi in an urban environment. Some feel that anything impeding their goals or desires is a menace that gives them the right to circumvent it as they choose, and if it doesn't work as planned its the other guys fault.
Its an issue without a solution other than not inviting it by unintended accommodation, or over reacting in a way that creates further conflict that could otherwise be avoided in the first place.
Frankly it IS a driving issue... and one that comes up because drivers are not properly trained... our "flow over safety" mentality is the problem. Drivers are being given instructions that make them think the speed limit is the speed to drive, and that giving way to anything in front of them is wrong.
Old 08-14-15, 06:20 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Frankly it IS a driving issue... and one that comes up because drivers are not properly trained... our "flow over safety" mentality is the problem. Drivers are being given instructions that make them think the speed limit is the speed to drive, and that giving way to anything in front of them is wrong.
Sort of, but I've seen many a cyclist and pedestrian act like that too.
Old 08-14-15, 06:48 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
I was nearly shoved off the road the other day, as well. Same basic situation. A car behind attempted a pass with ~10in of my hand, while an oncoming car was approaching (not dozens of yards distant). And this was one a relatively narrow two-lane country road. Never said a word to me, never slowed to apologize for the threat and the risk. Lives near me, but hasn't said a thing.

Got to love reckless drivers who refuse to consider the value of lives, when their schedule needs to be kept.
Old 08-14-15, 07:22 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sounds like you were doing the right thing, and this guy is an idiot.
Old 08-14-15, 07:27 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
This comment reminds me of a story the company safety officer told me 'way back when' I first started to drive commercial trucks. He had responded to the scene of an overturned tomato truck with thirty tons of tomatoes on the road. Three CHP were on the scene with all their lights flashing (at dusk). Out of the blue, there's this loud swishing sound and then one of the troopers dove into the ditch just in time to avoid being hit by a spinning pick-up. The pick-up overturned in the ditch a bit further on and everyone ran to it. The driver, upside down and still holding his beer, yelled at the cops, "You should get off the road before you get someone killed."

The other officers restrained the one who had dove for the ditch in order to save themselves a paperwork nightmare.
Old 08-14-15, 07:36 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
This comment reminds me of a story the company safety officer told me 'way back when' I first started to drive commercial trucks. He had responded to the scene of an overturned tomato truck with thirty tons of tomatoes on the road. Three CHP were on the scene with all their lights flashing (at dusk). Out of the blue, there's this loud swishing sound and then one of the troopers dove into the ditch just in time to avoid being hit by a spinning pick-up. The pick-up overturned in the ditch a bit further on and everyone ran to it. The driver, upside down and still holding his beer, yelled at the cops, "You should get off the road before you get someone killed."

The other officers restrained the one who had dove for the ditch in order to save themselves a paperwork nightmare.
Three words, TTL 'Take The Lane'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.