Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for next epic ride

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Suggestions for next epic ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 11:11 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Totally agree. But it has its own beauty, it is a fairly easy ride (except that darn hill out of Kaslo and the other one right before you get to New Denver ) and plenty (but not too plentiful) places to stay along the way and or grab something to eat.

Did you ride the Galena Trail? That is the best highlight of the trip IMHO.
We did not ride the Loop in the conventional manner. We did not ride the Washington section, and a small portion of the Idaho section. We started in Sandpoint, Idaho and took the Lake Pend Oreille/ Kootenai River Super Loop, and then up to Creston, BC. From Creston we went to Crawford Bay and then to Nelson. From Nelson down and back to Creston, and then down to Sandpoint. We did not ride the entire designated Selkirk Loop.

We did not get as get as far north as Kaslo and New Denver. You must have ridden further north on one of the other "Super Loops". The Galena Trail looked like a great side trip. I don't think we have finished exploring that country yet, and may just make it there.

Last edited by Doug64; 02-20-17 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-20-17, 11:25 PM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Old 02-20-17, 11:56 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanceoldstrong
Sounds like the average randonnee.
Old 02-21-17, 12:24 AM
pamelaw33

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will recommend you Canadain trip. We have here a lot of beautiful cycling routes that you are sure to love. I have ridden in the waterfront trail in Ontario and it is pretty.
Old 02-21-17, 11:42 AM
Coldhands

Bikes: LHT + 650b MTB

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Thinking ahead to the summer, anywhere from June to August, and trying to come up with an "epic ride in an awesome location" list. OK, that's a bit of a joke, but you know what I mean, hopefully. East coast of the US is my starting point, and the farthest I really want to fly is Europe or anywhere in North America.

The main constraint is time, which allows for about 9 days of riding, plus time to get there and back. Also, I don't really want to spend much time in urban areas, and prefer most of the time riding in beautiful surroundings (who doesn't, right?). Also, not into roughing it, dealing with bad weather or critters, or seeing some obscure locations. Easy to get there and back is a must. Cost is not a factor, but I do like camping, so at least an opportunity to stay in campgrounds some of the time would be ideal.

So far, I'm thinking about, in no particular order:

- going back to Switzerland and riding the eastern portion; rode in the western portion last summer
- riding from Munich to Bratislava along the Isar and Danube and taking the train back
- hill towns in Italy
- Loire Valley/Paris
- Erie Canal (a bit less epic, but on my list nonetheless)
- Ireland or UK
- somewhere out West?

I know that's a lot to choose from, and surely there are many other places that fit the criteria. What are your thoughts or suggestions?
I am doing a coast to coast here in Mexico - From Puerto Vallarta to Veracruz. It has been pretty epic!!! If you are interesrted I could send you my gpx files. Touring in Mexico is a great adventure.
Old 02-21-17, 02:36 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
After looking at the map a bit, Calgary to Jasper with a side trip to Nordegg seems pretty epic, and is on my Official Epic Ride list. The Oregon coast would be really nice, and would bring me back to my birthplace. The Seattle, Vancouver and Vancouver Island area looks quite interesting, and the weather should be decent in mid-summer. An area that's a bit closer to home is the Canadian Maritimes, which could be reached from Portland, Maine by ferry. Still thinking about some of the European destinations (Danube, Loire, Amsterdam, Paris). Going to have to mull this over a bit. Probably have enough for at least the next 10 trips, so it's more a matter of prioritizing at this point.
Old 02-21-17, 07:58 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Coldhands
I am doing a coast to coast here in Mexico - From Puerto Vallarta to Veracruz. It has been pretty epic!!! If you are interesrted I could send you my gpx files. Touring in Mexico is a great adventure.
Agree with you that cycling Mexico is a great adventure. I just finished riding 2.5 months from San Diego to the Guatemala Border. However, given that the OP is planning a trip for 9 days and also during the summer, I think some selection is necessary to stay higher in elevations (cooler). Perhaps highlands west of Mexico City or in south near San Cristobal?
Old 02-21-17, 08:21 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
We did not ride the Loop in the conventional manner. We did not ride the Washington section, and a small portion of the Idaho section. We started in Sandpoint, Idaho and took the Lake Pend Oreille/ Kootenai River Super Loop, and then up to Creston, BC. From Creston we went to Crawford Bay and then to Nelson. From Nelson down and back to Creston, and then down to Sandpoint. We did not ride the entire designated Selkirk Loop.

We did not get as get as far north as Kaslo and New Denver. You must have ridden further north on one of the other "Super Loops". The Galena Trail looked like a great side trip. I don't think we have finished exploring that country yet, and may just make it there.

Speaking of riding in this area: Has anyone done a northern Cascades loop from:

Sedro Woolley to Omak on Hwy 20,
then north on Hwy 97 to Osoyoos,
then west on Hwy's 3 and 7 back to Sumas
and down Hwy 9 to Sedro Woolley.

It's about 800km's more or less.

That is another loop I'm considering because it goes right past my town of Abbotsford so no destination transport issues.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 02-21-17 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 05:22 PM
Coldhands

Bikes: LHT + 650b MTB

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
Agree with you that cycling Mexico is a great adventure. I just finished riding 2.5 months from San Diego to the Guatemala Border. However, given that the OP is planning a trip for 9 days and also during the summer, I think some selection is necessary to stay higher in elevations (cooler). Perhaps highlands west of Mexico City or in south near San Cristobal?

Ah sorry failed to note the short duration! And yes Mexico will be pretty hot during in this time plus frequent showers might be an issue in many parts of the country. Personally I think Mexico one of those counrties where you need a lot of time and maybe often patience to adjust to the weirdness and develop a gowiththeflow attitude.
Old 02-22-17, 08:33 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
@Lanceoldstrong Sweet, I guess mundane Netherlands qualifies! Granted, I had to propose to get #5 and the four checks....
Old 02-26-17, 08:10 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
After looking at the map a bit, Calgary to Jasper with a side trip to Nordegg seems pretty epic, and is on my Official Epic Ride list. The Oregon coast would be really nice, and would bring me back to my birthplace. The Seattle, Vancouver and Vancouver Island area looks quite interesting, and the weather should be decent in mid-summer. An area that's a bit closer to home is the Canadian Maritimes, which could be reached from Portland, Maine by ferry. Still thinking about some of the European destinations (Danube, Loire, Amsterdam, Paris). Going to have to mull this over a bit. Probably have enough for at least the next 10 trips, so it's more a matter of prioritizing at this point.

You've bike toured in Europe before, NW/BC seems to fit the bill of a rural but not adventure tour, eh? 9 days perhaps allows a couple of warmup days before the more strenuous climbs. Europe has a lot of history & stuff but seems like major tourist sites are swamped in summer. Dollar is supposedly strong vs Euro but I'd guess Europe is still going to be a bit expensive in the summer.
Old 02-26-17, 09:32 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
You've bike toured in Europe before, NW/BC seems to fit the bill of a rural but not adventure tour, eh? 9 days perhaps allows a couple of warmup days before the more strenuous climbs. Europe has a lot of history & stuff but seems like major tourist sites are swamped in summer. Dollar is supposedly strong vs Euro but I'd guess Europe is still going to be a bit expensive in the summer.
Good point on the exchange rate. My last two trips to Europe were shocking. I spent the equivalent of $16 at McDonalds in Switzerland last summer. Just had a craving. Before that, on a non-biking trip, I spent $25 on freakin' M&Ms at the M&M place in London. Anyway, I've heard the exchange rate is pretty favorable now, so that could help tip the balance.
Old 03-30-17, 09:44 PM
alan s 

Currently, top ride under consideration is flying into Portland, riding to Astoria, then down the Oregon coast to Florence. Then riding inland to Eugene, where I was born, renting a car and driving back to Portland, with a side trip to Lake Oswego, where I lived from age 1 to 5. An. interesting idea is to do a couple days of mountain biking at Mt. Hood. I can bring a suspension fork and knobbies to convert the World Troller to a hardtail.

Couple questions. There is a great resource for the coastal route. https://theoregoncoast.info/BikeRoute/Map.pdf, which shows all of the facilities and side trips. What is less clear is a place to overnight, camping or inexpensive hotel, between Portland and Astoria. The total distance is around 95 miles, so something in the middle would work great. Any suggestions? Anything along that route worth looking at?

Second, has anyone ridden at Mt. Hood? Looks like lots of trails and summer use of ski lifts to get up the mountain and ride down. Mountain Bike Mount Hood | Portland Mountain Bike | Mt Hood Adventure | Skibowl Adventure Park

Old 03-30-17, 10:13 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Currently, top ride under consideration is flying into Portland, riding to Astoria, then down the Oregon coast to Florence. Then riding inland to Eugene, where I was born, renting a car and driving back to Portland, with a side trip to Lake Oswego, where I lived from age 1 to 5. An. interesting idea is to do a couple days of mountain biking at Mt. Hood. I can bring a suspension fork and knobbies to convert the World Troller to a hardtail.

Couple questions. There is a great resource for the coastal route. https://theoregoncoast.info/BikeRoute/Map.pdf, which shows all of the facilities and side trips. What is less clear is a place to overnight, camping or inexpensive hotel, between Portland and Astoria. The total distance is around 95 miles, so something in the middle would work great. Any suggestions? Anything along that route worth looking at?

Second, has anyone ridden at Mt. Hood? Looks like lots of trails and summer use of ski lifts to get up the mountain and ride down.
I've never biked it, but I've skied it several times. It may depend on when you are going to be there, if you will be able to bike it or not. We are at 125% of our normal snowpack this year. The ride from Portland to Hood River along the Old Columbia River Highway is really nice. It might be a good alternative.

Look at the little town of Rainier on Highway 30 (assuming that is the route you will be riding). I believe that there is a motel there. I rode it from Astoria to Portland, and it was not a bad ride.

Another option is to ride down to the Amtrak station from PDX, and take the Amtrak bus to Astoria.

Last edited by Doug64; 03-30-17 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-31-17, 08:53 AM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
How about the North Coast 500 in Scotland? It's a loop that starts and ends in Inverness.

We rode some of it last summer. Epic is definitely an apt word to describe the scenery.

Old 03-31-17, 09:35 AM
alan s 

Originally Posted by niknak
How about the North Coast 500 in Scotland? It's a loop that starts and ends in Inverness.

We rode some of it last summer. Epic is definitely an apt word to describe the scenery.

Looks nice. Scary sheep!
Old 03-31-17, 11:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
[QUOTE]
Scapoose to Vernonia gets you off the Busy Hwy 30, then Or 47 at Mist connects to 202
which gets you to the Young's Bay side of Astoria, meeting US 101..

NB: You can take a train between EUG & PDX.. Also, northbound ... there is a Bus.
Old 03-31-17, 11:39 AM
alan s 

[QUOTE=fietsbob;19480500]
Scapoose to Vernonia gets you off the Busy Hwy 30, then Or 47 at Mist connects to 202
which gets you to the Young's Bay side of Astoria, meeting US 101..

NB: You can take a train between EUG & PDX.. Also, northbound ... there is a Bus.
That looks like an interesting route. Do you think Vernonia is the best place to overnight?
Old 03-31-17, 11:03 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Portland is the capital of North America bike culture, eh? Custom builders on every block almost...
Old 04-18-17, 09:31 AM
alan s 

So I'm pretty much decided on an epic Oregon adventure in late June to early July. Starting in Portland, then to Astoria, down the coast to Florence, inland to Eugene. Then by rental car to Crater Lake for a ride around the lake, which is 33 miles. Back to Portland and a day trip to Mt. Hood for some mountain biking. Bringing a suspension fork along for that, which I hope to leave at the hotel where I'll stay at the start and finish.

Spoke with a park ranger at Fort Stevens SP, who said there is almost never an issue with hiker-biker sites filling up at any of the state parks along the coast, and they don't take reservations anyway. If so, that is ideal, as I like to keep my plans flexible. I'll have five days to cover the roughly 200 miles north to south along the coast, with plenty of options for camping along the way. At $6 a night, it's a bargain.

Has anyone stayed at Crater Lake or ridden the route that can give any advice? Read somewhere that around then, the road is open to bikes, but not cars. There's a large campground, and a smaller one at Crater Lake. Is either better?
Old 04-18-17, 09:52 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I biked around Crater Lake. It's a beautiful but exhausting ride because you climb then quickly descend. Then more climbing and another quick descent. Rinse and repeat.

Oregon is lovely, but I wouldn't call touring there "epic".
Old 04-18-17, 10:12 AM
alan s 

Originally Posted by axolotl
I biked around Crater Lake. It's a beautiful but exhausting ride because you climb then quickly descend. Then more climbing and another quick descent. Rinse and repeat.

Oregon is lovely, but I wouldn't call touring there "epic".
What??? Not epic? I was told it is epic.
Old 04-18-17, 11:47 AM
axolotl

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
What??? Not epic? I was told it is epic.
Yeah, well people lie all the time.

The internet slang definition of epic:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=epic

The more traditional definition of epic:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/epic
Old 04-18-17, 01:45 PM
alan s 

Just checked the Crater Lake weather forecast site. They received a mere 44 feet of snow since October. Hope it all melts.

https://www.nps.gov/crla/planyourvis...-1-web-419.pdf
Old 04-18-17, 02:35 PM
str

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Thinking ahead to the summer, anywhere from June to August, and trying to come up with an "epic ride in an awesome location" list. OK, that's a bit of a joke, but you know what I mean, hopefully. East coast of the US is my starting point, and the farthest I really want to fly is Europe or anywhere in North America.

The main constraint is time, which allows for about 9 days of riding, plus time to get there and back. Also, I don't really want to spend much time in urban areas, and prefer most of the time riding in beautiful surroundings (who doesn't, right?). Also, not into roughing it, dealing with bad weather or critters, or seeing some obscure locations. Easy to get there and back is a must. Cost is not a factor, but I do like camping, so at least an opportunity to stay in campgrounds some of the time would be ideal.

So far, I'm thinking about, in no particular order:

- going back to Switzerland and riding the eastern portion; rode in the western portion last summer
- riding from Munich to Bratislava along the Isar and Danube and taking the train back
- hill towns in Italy
- Loire Valley/Paris
- Erie Canal (a bit less epic, but on my list nonetheless)
- Ireland or UK
- somewhere out West?

I know that's a lot to choose from, and surely there are many other places that fit the criteria. What are your thoughts or suggestions?
these destinies do not sound very epic ...

Georgia Caucasus, Romania, Serbia, Kosovo, Albania, Armenia ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.