Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Weight and component life span

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Weight and component life span

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-20, 09:25 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I suspect my weight limits chain and tire life to about 2,000 miles each (99% road riding). Everything else I chalk up to normal wear and tear, or abuse (like when I didn't swap a chain for 4,000 miles and had to replace the cassette and all the chainrings).

I did have an aluminum seatpost break and fold over under me a few years ago. It probably had 50,000 miles on it. Was that rider weight or fatigue and longevity?
I read this a while back and have been thinking about your seatpost failure. Years ago we used to bend the old American cheap bike standard seatposts because they were only 13/16" diameter for Schwinn and 7/8" diameter most other American manufacturers. I'm assuming the failed seatpost was over an inch in diameter and of modern design. I believe at 50,000 miles your seatpost probably died a natural death by a million vibrations and hits. I believe you may see steel frames start to fail at that kind of mileage. Of course off roading would accelerate that gradual deterioration of the component. Nowaday's they stick seatposts way out of the frames and this really stresses the seatposts and the frames since you have lengthened the lever holding your seat. The longer seatpost pry's on the frame much harder than if the frame was taller and triangulated by seat stays and the seatpost was fairly short. I'm riding a 1970's Schwinn Varsity whose wheelset and other components were completely worn out when I got it. The wheelset was a non Schwinn replacement so the first wheelset had already worn out. I replaced all the components on this frame and fork and have soldiered on for another 20 years. I have no idea how many miles are on this bike but it is a lot and it is holding my great bulk up every day and riding both off and on road. So now I'm keeping on eye on that old original Schwinn steel seatpost.
Old 07-20-20, 10:26 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I agree with other posters above about canal dust. I too ride the C&O canal, at least 3 times a week from 10 to 40 miles each time. I too am a clyde, uncomfortably close again to 300lbs......

This is what my drivetrain looks like after a few of the shorter rides. I probably should be cleaning it after each ride, but have been lazy and cleaning it once a week instead. I generally get about 1000 to 1300 miles on a SRAM chain. But my bike currently still has the original KMC chain. My past experiences has been original KMC chains last me only 800 mile range. Not seeing this will be any different.

Edit - After looking at these pictures...I'm tearing this bike down and giving it a full bath tonight...what a mess....

Last edited by travbikeman; 07-20-20 at 10:32 AM.