Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Disassembly Questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Disassembly Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-20, 02:53 PM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Disassembly Questions

2012 Cannondale CADD 8, left side of crank has pin holes for turning, and the inside a hex nut. I'm guessing the circular pin ring comes off the release the crank.

Pin ring and hex
The other side is a hole, again I'm guessing with the hex on the other side to hold, the crank unscrews? Im doing a major clean and rebuild.

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 07-06-20, 03:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Maybe a two piece crankset. Take off the arm on the other side which probably has a self extracting nut or bolt on it. Then see if the drive side pulls out axle and all.

P.S. Not sure about the two holes you ask about. Maybe just something that help them install that plug for the axle hole. Maybe it's threaded and a pin type spanner will remove it, but I don't think it's material to uninstalling or installing the crankset.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-06-20 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-06-20, 03:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I found a few better pic's on line of some FSA two piece cranks. Don't do anything with the nut on the left side with small holes along the face. Just stick a allen hex key down inside and unscrew it. The cover with the holes is what will allow the nut or screw you are turning with the allen wrench to push the crank arm off the shaft. Don't remember it they are left or right threaded, but generally will be opposite what ever the threading is for that cover with the little holes in it.
Old 07-06-20, 04:57 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 07-06-20, 11:06 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't do anything with the nut on the left side with small holes along the face. Just stick a allen hex key down inside and unscrew it. The cover with the holes is what will allow the nut or screw you are turning with the allen wrench to push the crank arm off the shaft.
I can confirm that, my crank is hollow like that, even if different make. It will be normal right handed screw and when you start unscrewing anti-clockwise, after overcoming the initial tight setting, it will go easy for a turn or two and then it will get harder again - that's when the small nut inside will start pushing on that big nut in the crank arm and extract it from the spindle while you keep unscrewing. The big nut never needs to be removed.

I've seen crank of this type like mine being sold on eBay and you could see in the picture the crank arm had the big nut missing, apparently was removed by somebody who didn't know what he was doing... I can only wish luck to the buyer who won the bid that the crank will arrive with the big nut included. It was the Allen key type nut but most normal folks won't even have key of that size at home (16 mm). BTW the inside nut is 8mm.

BTW was asking the same not that long ago, glad I can give back some of that help.

Last edited by vane171; 07-06-20 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-07-20, 11:54 AM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Mine came out just like the video, thanks for the help all!

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net