Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New and need help ,please.

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 07-26-20, 08:08 PM
Crazyknight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greetings to everyone ,

I'll get right to the point , I weight 340 at the moment give or take and and I am trying my hardest to find ways to exercise and loose weight so I can get healthy and live longer ( I am 34 years old) I am trying to walk but with my job , studies and sleep apnea its really hard on my ankles and knees sometimes but I really want and need to do something about it and one of the things I always loved besides walking was biking, I remember I just loved the peaceful or relax part of it and how it made me feel when done , the good ''body burn'' , I used to walk and bike everywhere and my cardio was just perfect but now I get tired getting up the stairs and I don't want to be like that anymore. I need help finding a place online that sells bikes for someone like me and what I need to be looking for. Every time I go to a store like Walmart or Cotsco or whatever and see a bike I just feel like they won't hold me. Either they are small ( I am 6'00 feet tall) or I feel like the tires will explode if I ride them.Maybe its just my fears , I don't know. Can someone here please help me find something for a 34 year old , 6'00 feet tall, 340 pounds overweight guy? My wife wants to get one and I really would like to be able to go with her.

Do I need to get one of those that have very thick tires that look like a motorcycle ? or , I don't know , what do you guys recommend?
Old 07-27-20, 07:54 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazyknight
Greetings to everyone ,

I'll get right to the point , I weight 340 at the moment give or take and and I am trying my hardest to find ways to exercise and loose weight so I can get healthy and live longer ( I am 34 years old) I am trying to walk but with my job , studies and sleep apnea its really hard on my ankles and knees sometimes but I really want and need to do something about it and one of the things I always loved besides walking was biking, I remember I just loved the peaceful or relax part of it and how it made me feel when done , the good ''body burn'' , I used to walk and bike everywhere and my cardio was just perfect but now I get tired getting up the stairs and I don't want to be like that anymore. I need help finding a place online that sells bikes for someone like me and what I need to be looking for. Every time I go to a store like Walmart or Cotsco or whatever and see a bike I just feel like they won't hold me. Either they are small ( I am 6'00 feet tall) or I feel like the tires will explode if I ride them.Maybe its just my fears , I don't know. Can someone here please help me find something for a 34 year old , 6'00 feet tall, 340 pounds overweight guy? My wife wants to get one and I really would like to be able to go with her.

Do I need to get one of those that have very thick tires that look like a motorcycle ? or , I don't know , what do you guys recommend?
Plenty of people ride regular bikes at your weight, the weak point for larger riders is the wheels. I am not much help, since I haven't been your weight but I think that if you can find a bike that has at least 36 spokes per wheel and can accommodate 32 mm or wider tires would be a good start.

The two bikes that I own that I feel confident that would accommodate your weight are 1) a old mountain bike without suspension and 2) a touring bike.
Old 07-27-20, 04:58 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Hard tail mountain bike, reputable brand, most will roll with you. Like someone else said get good wheels...
Old 07-28-20, 06:39 AM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Good morning, Crazyknight what have you looked at? Agreed on the 36 spoke wheels from the other poster.

I was about 300 pounds when I started (255 now and massively good cardio), I started with a Trek Hybrid, which was ok. The bike I really ended up liking more was the Surly Long Haul Trucker, which is steel and made to tour over long distances and comes with 36 spoke wheels. I put several 1000 miles on it before going to a more regular road bike. I still have to get the wheels rebuilt for my weight and the weight of the cargo on the more road-oriented bicycles (32 spoke wheels). I would try and find a used Surly Long Haul Trucker with 26" wheels, and I suspect you would be looking for a 58 or 60 cm size frame (we are the same height).
Old 07-28-20, 11:51 AM
The Old Peddler

Bikes: Currently 4 Electra's : 3 Cruisers and a Townie. also 1 mutt bike

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
I am also 6 feet tall and about 235 lbs. I recommend you look at Electra bikes. I have several and I am confident that any of them would carry you without a problem. Also their "flat foot" technology makes it easier to reach the ground with your feet while riding. Personally I like the looks of "Fat" tires (24 or 26 X 3.0) but you don't have to get those to support you. I suggest either an Electra Cruiser bike or a Townie. Cruisers are simpler and cheaper (I have multiple of these). But my favorite bike is my Townie with 26 X 2.35 tires. The 2.35 tires are called "Balloon" and are definitely bigger than the old standard 26" tires, but not so big as to look "Fat" IMHO.

The Old Peddler
Likes For The Old Peddler:
Old 07-28-20, 02:11 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazyknight
Greetings to everyone ,

So..what's your budget on a bike? Everyone can give recommendations, but we have no idea if you are able to budget the bike itself. If you are looking at Wal Mart bikes, I'm assuming it's possibly not a high budget.

36 spoke wheels are nice, but I had found when I was your weight, that 32 spoke wheels were fine if the tires were more hybrid sized tires (29x38's or larger). Now that is taking it easy, if you are going to bike rough, then yes you want a bigger tire or more spokes.

FYI, Wal Mart does have a nice bike if your interested in a more mountain style bike. Schwinn Axum...if they are in stock...could very well handle your weight and is in a size large for how tall you are. But, it's $400, is that in your budget?
Old 07-31-20, 09:45 AM
chadkams

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I am far from an expert but I am a new 400+ lb rider that just joined the forums this past month. I purchased a Trek Marlin 5 on 7/15 and although I haven't gone great lengths on it just yet- it feels very sturdy even at my weight. It is reasonably priced as well at $549.99.
Old 07-31-20, 10:06 AM
Robalero

Bikes: Electra Townee 7D, TREK Domane 4, Checkpoint ALR 5, Marin Gestalt

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 185 Posts
I lost a hundred pounds on my Electra Townee 7D. I was close to your weight and same height as well. Good Luck!

Oh, however I am in my sixties; I ride a TREK Domane 4 Now.
Likes For Robalero:
Old 07-31-20, 06:43 PM
oldlady62

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I weigh about the same as you. I am currently riding an Electra townie 7d (ladies model). It doesn't have any problem with my weight, and from looking at "fitness/hybrids/commuter" bikes online, they are rated for our weight, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I had to turn to bicycling, first, because I always loved cycling, but also now I have bursitis in one leg near the knee and I can't walk very far at all. Not even an entire grocery store trip. I can't wait to switch to my hybrid bike (30 years old) because the fastest average speed on my Townie is about 8 mph, which is ok for puttering around the neighborhood to lose weight, but I'm used to going faster, so it seems pokey to me.

i'm going to add to the Townie photos on this topic.
Likes For oldlady62:
Old 07-31-20, 06:45 PM
oldlady62

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Robalero
I lost a hundred pounds on my Electra Townee 7D. I was close to your weight and same height as well. Good Luck!

Oh, however I am in my sixties; I ride a TREK Domane 4 Now.
That's a nice looking Townie. I was seduced by the pretty colors, though.
Likes For oldlady62:
Old 07-31-20, 07:22 PM
Robalero

Bikes: Electra Townee 7D, TREK Domane 4, Checkpoint ALR 5, Marin Gestalt

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by oldlady62
That's a nice looking Townie. I was seduced by the pretty colors, though.
I actually average around 12 mph on my Townee. Love their colors as well, have a blue one, its gorgeous as well.
Likes For Robalero:
Old 08-19-20, 02:43 AM
DanHurley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chadkams
I am far from an expert but I am a new 400+ lb rider that just joined the forums this past month. I purchased a Trek Marlin 5 on 7/15 and although I haven't gone great lengths on it just yet- it feels very sturdy even at my weight. It is reasonably priced as well at $549.99.
Hi there. I am a new member and when I contacted Trek they told me that none of their bikes would hold me (350lbs). So I was just wanting to ask how the Marlin 5 is holding up for a 400lb rider? Thanks.
p.s. its alot harder to find a bike that will hold 350 in the UK :/
Old 08-19-20, 06:50 AM
chadkams

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DanHurley
Hi there. I am a new member and when I contacted Trek they told me that none of their bikes would hold me (350lbs). So I was just wanting to ask how the Marlin 5 is holding up for a 400lb rider? Thanks.
p.s. its alot harder to find a bike that will hold 350 in the UK :/
I have had no issues on the bike thus far. I haven't pushed the limits yet though. The longest I have rode the bike has been 15-20 minutes at a time and I probably only have 100 miles or so on it so it still feels relatively new every time I ride. Being in the "athletic posture" that the bike keeps me in it does start to give me a little bit of lower back tightness after too long if I am not properly stretched. I started my journey at 423 lbs and I am currently down to 394 lbs since 7/6. I am hoping to get closer to 350 lbs before I begin riding more frequently for longer periods of time. I hope this helps!
Old 08-19-20, 10:30 AM
DanHurley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chadkams
I have had no issues on the bike thus far. I haven't pushed the limits yet though. The longest I have rode the bike has been 15-20 minutes at a time and I probably only have 100 miles or so on it so it still feels relatively new every time I ride. Being in the "athletic posture" that the bike keeps me in it does start to give me a little bit of lower back tightness after too long if I am not properly stretched. I started my journey at 423 lbs and I am currently down to 394 lbs since 7/6. I am hoping to get closer to 350 lbs before I begin riding more frequently for longer periods of time. I hope this helps!
Okay thats kinda reassuring, as im after a bike for weight loss and obviously the more I ride the more weight I lose and ultimately the less 'strain' on the bike. So if I'm starting out at 350 hopefully the bike will hold up whilst I slowly drop below the 300lb 'limit'.
What's your opinion? Do you honestly think it will hold up?