Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Not going to be riding for a while...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-10, 06:24 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts

I'm not going to be riding for a while, folks: not only is the weather here in Philadelphia WAY below freezing with 40mph winds, but on Tuesday I'll be going for weight loss (stomach band) surgery. I should be out of the hospital the same day, but the surgeon has told me he wants me to spend the next month doing nothing more than walking for exercise.

So I won't be posting about rides or logging any miles until after Groundhog Day, when I get to come out from hibernation. Of course, I'll still be READING.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-03-10, 06:43 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by jeneralist
I'm not going to be riding for a while, folks: not only is the weather here in Philadelphia WAY below freezing with 40mph winds, but on Tuesday I'll be going for weight loss (stomach band) surgery. I should be out of the hospital the same day, but the surgeon has told me he wants me to spend the next month doing nothing more than walking for exercise.

So I won't be posting about rides or logging any miles until after Groundhog Day, when I get to come out from hibernation. Of course, I'll still be READING.

Happy New Year!
Let me know when you are on two wheels again.

Old 01-03-10, 08:10 PM
Kamala
Clyde - Grinder

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite - 2007 Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck on your surgery! Had lapband last March and it's been a brave new world for me ever since.
Old 01-04-10, 08:33 AM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
goodluck and quick recovery!
Old 01-04-10, 09:29 AM
jgjulio

Bikes: 2020 Veego 750, 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 08 Trek 7200, Very Old Schwinn Cruiser

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Good luck!
Old 01-05-10, 08:44 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
good luck
Old 01-10-10, 11:43 AM
Missbumble 
I'm a Cyclist!

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Good luck!
Old 01-10-10, 12:10 PM
turtlewoman

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Miss Bumble,
I'm going for my initial lap band seminar on the 23rd. Good luck to you and let us know how everything goes.
Old 01-10-10, 02:41 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
So, I had the surgery on Tuesday, 1/5. Spent 3 days afterwards on "clear liquids" -- water, diet jello, decaf tea, strained broth. Now I'm up to "full liquids" -- skim milk, yogurt, cream-of-whatever soup run through a strainer. Over time, as my stomach heals, I'll move back to normal food, just less of it.

I needed to be at the hospital on Tuesday at 5:45; got taken to the OR around 9:00. I remember waking up around 11:30. There were things squeezing my legs and one of my arms. Eyes still closed, I recognized them as sequential compression dressings (squeeze the legs to make sure I don't get blood clots) and a blood pressure cuff. The surgeon's assistant told me later that she had an extensive conversation with me, sometime before I remember waking up. I don't remember any of it, and she didn't think I would -- but at the time, I was awake, and I was spoken to. OK.

Spent some time in the recovery room getting medicine for nausea and pain -- in that order, thank you very much. Most strong pain medicines make a lot of people nauseated, and I knew that throwing up would be a Bad Thing at that time. Then off to Xray, where I drank some liquid that shows up well, and demonstrated that my poor picked-on stomach was not leaking.

Then to a real hospital room, in the section of the hospital reserved for people having weight-loss surgery. They may have been trying to be extra nice: I wound up in a single room. From the look of the door (the only one I saw that was 1 1/2 doors, making an extra-wide opening) it may have been normally intended for very large people.

Friendly nurses came by and asked me to see if I could handle drinking, but to try to drink only sips: she poured out 3 one-ounce glasses of water and told me those should last me an hour.

The surgeon and his assistant came by later to make sure I was doing OK. The surgeon told me that even though I undoubtedly could handle giving myself a daily injection of blood thinner, he still wanted a visiting nurse to come to the house: he wanted someone more objective to take my temperature, check my blood pressure, and make sure my incisions aren't getting infected.

My hubby and I started walking back and forth in the hallways, slowly, to prove to the surgeon (and ourselves) that I was ready to go home.

Got out of the hospital around 7:30, and stopped at the pharmacy on the way home to pick up pain medication and blood thinner.

I've got 5 tiny cuts on my belly, all north of the belly-button.

Thanks to all of you for your well-wishes.