Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

My girlfriend's dad intentionally 'tapped' a cyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 08:29 PM
gji555

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow. So we've been dating for a year and a half (I'm 26) and I just found out that my girlfriend's dad intentionally 'tapped' a cyclist. She didn't tell me sooner because she knows I ride a bike and would get upset. As expected, I went ape-sht.

"He didn't get hurt. He didn't even fall over. He's only done it once." -her

"There is no such thing as 'tap' when it comes to car vs. bike. Its not just that the other person was on a bike, its that intentionally hitting ANY HUMAN BEING whether cycling, pogo-sticking, or riding a horse drawn carriage downtown, is absolutely wrong and border line insane. This is above and beyond the me-mentality of many car drivers because he actually acted on his own frustrations/ignorance. My sister's boss got killed on his morning commute by a drugged up alcoholic. I've been grazed. I've met several people who have been hit." -me

That was last night. Today, I couldn't help but stewing on it all day. So I canceled on a planned beach trip this weekend. (A 4-day trip I considered bringing the bike on.) I'm afraid that no matter how hard I try not to, I would have to confront her dad. I can't imagine not saying anything. This would not be the time or the place for a traffic rules and moral discussion. I don't want to create a confrontation but can't fight the need to stand up for the person he hit and other people outside of cars. GF can't understand how this is a big deal for me and is quite upset. She also didn't mention he had any remorse and implied that it was funny.

Am I over reacting? What would you do? Happy Easter??
Old 03-30-10, 08:34 PM
JesseDuncan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give him a tap with a different deadly weapon, say, a shotgun or an axe, and see how he reacts. Bust that scene out at dinner time, and see if people gloss it over for you later like your girlfriend did for him.
Old 03-30-10, 08:40 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tell him you found out and that it disgusts you and that you respect him a lot less.

What more do you have to say... you either say that or shutup and prepare to hear more of his grand stories of bullying and abuse at the Easter table.
Old 03-30-10, 08:41 PM
skye

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually, it all depends on only two things: (1) Is she hot, and (2) does she, you know, *cough*, yeah. That.

If it's yes to both, wait 6 months, enjoy the time together, then whack pops in the weenie and move on to the next.

If no to either, tell the old man what he's worth and move on to the next.
Old 03-30-10, 09:08 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Define "tapped" first. Both stopped at a light and rolled into his wheel? moving down the road and tapped him from behind? Reached out the window and tapped with his hand?
Old 03-30-10, 09:12 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cancel thoughts of a future with her. She's not worth it. It's obvious the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.
Old 03-30-10, 09:23 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by skye
Actually, it all depends on only two things: (1) Is she hot, and (2) does she, you know, *cough*, yeah. That.

If it's yes to both, wait 6 months, enjoy the time together, then whack pops in the weenie and move on to the next.

If no to either, tell the old man what he's worth and move on to the next.
Puhlease, there's a million hot chicks that want it, you should drop this one like a hot potato, but not before telling her dad what's what
Old 03-30-10, 09:33 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
Puhlease, there's a million hot chicks that want it, you should drop this one like a hot potato
But before he drops her, he should "make a video".
And send it to dear ol' Dad.

Title it:
I only Tapped Her
Old 03-30-10, 09:33 PM
TFS Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See post 10.
Old 03-30-10, 09:36 PM
TFS Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67

Title it:
OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OMGOMGOMG

I can guarantee that this will be the most EPIC thing on this site.

Possible sub titile could read : "She didn't get hurt. She didn't even fall over. She's only done it once" -me

Last edited by TFS Jake; 03-30-10 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 09:43 PM
gji555

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Define "tapped" first. Both stopped at a light and rolled into his wheel? moving down the road and tapped him from behind? Reached out the window and tapped with his hand?
It was definitely his car hitting a person on a bike and not a hand out the window. She did not know, or choose to offer, much else for details. (Perhaps overwhelmed by my reaction.) So I don't know what direction he came from. I did not think to ask about the speed as my initial reaction would be that any speed would be dangerous. However, I suppose that 'rolling onto his wheel' while dangerous and illegal, (and likely resulting in a cleated bumper), would be different than trading paint on a high speed turn.
Old 03-30-10, 09:45 PM
gji555

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Title it:
lol!
Old 03-30-10, 09:57 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sucks. I don't think I could confront him again after that if I were in that situation. Being a NC native, i'm not surprised that they think it's funny, judging from a lot people's attitudes there regarding anything different from them or their beliefs. I'd probably avoid him as long as possible, maybe eventually trying to enlighten him about how what he did was wrong and hopefully teach him to value human life a little more.

I'm all for the video btw..
Old 03-30-10, 11:26 PM
xray1978
Degenerate Grouch

Bikes: Kona Hahanna, Schwinn Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would make up a story at the Easter table and say "Yeah I was on my bike today and some prick tapped me on my bike, if I would have had a gun I would have shot him for using a deadly weapon against me." Then just wait and see where it goes. Be sure to have fun with it.
Old 03-30-10, 11:29 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Title it:
I only Tapped Her
+1
Old 03-31-10, 12:55 AM
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xray1978
I would make up a story at the Easter table and say "Yeah I was on my bike today and some prick tapped me on my bike, if I would have had a gun I would have shot him for using a deadly weapon against me." Then just wait and see where it goes. Be sure to have fun with it.
Actually, I like this idea if you tone it down a bit. Like "Oh yeah, I got some jerk a fine and jailtime the other day for tapping me with his car...". Or somesuch.
Old 03-31-10, 01:16 AM
nal13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to know what the biker did to get "tapped."
Old 03-31-10, 01:32 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I like post 14 and 16.

But you cant blame your gf for her dad's actions. Show her a few stories of cyclists being injured/killed on the road, I think she'll come round to understanding what the 'big deal' is.
Old 03-31-10, 01:51 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Find an inflammatory anti-bike bumper-sticker and put it on his car. Make sure you get it on there really well.
Replace as necessary.
Old 03-31-10, 02:27 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get his license plate number, a description of the car and the date that it happened. Call the cops. Let them take it from there. Nothing may come of it, but on the other hand they might be looking for him. If the GF protests tell her, "It didn't hurt him."
Old 03-31-10, 04:09 AM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nal13
I want to know what the biker did to get "tapped."
Could have been nothing more than having the audacity to ride in the street. It enrages some people.

Regardless, hitting someone with your car is not acceptable.
Old 03-31-10, 04:15 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Set up hidden camera(s), get chummy with him, maybe some alcohol, and get him talking... make out like 'tapping' a cyclist is hilarious and encourage him to tell all. Get him on video bragging in minute detail about how he tapped a cyclist and how he and his whole family think it's so funny.

Post the video along with every personal detail about him including full name, address, employer's details, work address, phone numbers, email addresses, to every cycling website and blog everywhere, even on youtube. Make him famous.

Let the radical/fringe element of the cycling subculture take care of the rest, they'll have a juicy target and he'll get to know what it's really like to get 'tapped' - a win win..... and lose the daughter, she's no different to him. The thought of hooking up with a chick with that attitude makes me want to puke, I couldn't care less if she's the hottest thing on legs and puts out like a jackrabbit, I'd still kick it to the curb.

Last edited by Cyclaholic; 03-31-10 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-31-10, 05:17 AM
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang1
I like post 14 and 16.

But you cant blame your gf for her dad's actions. Show her a few stories of cyclists being injured/killed on the road, I think she'll come round to understanding what the 'big deal' is.
I agree to a point. She didn't do it, so it's not fair to blame her. But if she can't see why it's such a big deal... man, it would sure make me at least give a second thought to the person I'm with.

But I also don't know exactly what her reaction was or how serious a relationship it is. But hey, we all make mistakes and are stupid sometimes. If she's able to understand why it's such a big deal, I wouldn't lose all hope. Depending on circumstances it could still be worth the good ol' college try. It's about how we recognize and deal with our mistakes, not how we make them.
Old 03-31-10, 05:48 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Title it:
+1

Really, I'd find out what the story was from the horse's (or donkey) mouth. Just do it in such a situation where you're prepared to leave if the answer is unacceptable.
Old 03-31-10, 06:03 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gji555
Am I over reacting? What would you do? Happy Easter??
Make a point of telling her father that you are tapping his daughter...repeatedly.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.