Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Like drivers need more egging on...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-11, 05:23 PM
dmcdam

Bikes: Opus Vivace F1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Not exactly in my back yard but just an hour or so down the road.

https://www.wellandtribune.ca/Article...aspx?e=3143343

Unbelievable...
Old 05-29-11, 06:03 PM
Makel

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Specialized Transition, Specialized Fate, Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
oh dear

that station manager has no clue
Old 05-29-11, 06:29 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Very tasteless and offensive. That station is opening it's self up to lawsuits. If I was riding and got hit by someone in a car or got hot coffee thrown in my face and found out that they had listened to that show, I'd go after the station. The station manager sounds like a real genius as well. Funny can be tasteless, but when you advocate vigilante violence against anyone in a public forum that crosses the line into dangerous. Radio DJs are pretty much idiots anyway. Those two fat-asses look like they couldn't even get their fat leg over the saddle.
Old 05-29-11, 06:56 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
sarcasm/

***NEWS FLASH***

Hot on the heels of the successful "Eff Cyclists Campaign" one enterprising radio station is following up with some more light hearted topics.

Next week we will be able to join "Hurry-up Gramps Day" where you will be encouraged to dream up was to push little old ladies off the sidewalk when they get in your way for being slow. Later this month there will be a "Lynch a Ni66er Week" that will give you an opportunity to tell us how you really feel about affirmative action and equal opportunity laws. Finally, before the holidays there will be "Kiddie Fiddling Fridays" for those of you who know that 'fresh is best'....

/sarcasm

I wonder if the radio station manager would find any of those topics potentially dangerous. It's only a joke right? No one would actually go out and do that stuff - or would they?
Old 05-29-11, 07:00 PM
Bioluminescence
Still a newb.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That station manager is a complete idiot.
Old 05-29-11, 07:10 PM
rmr1923

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so does this mean we're allowed to come up with creative ways to teach drivers to share the road? game on...

Old 05-29-11, 07:16 PM
Bioluminescence
Still a newb.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmr1923
so does this mean we're allowed to come up with creative ways to teach drivers to share the road? game on...

Well they already hit our driver's ed classes.
Old 05-29-11, 09:57 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by rmr1923

Sorry to disagree with you, but that's one game where cyclists are bound to lose 9 out of 10 times... and we've got more to lose.
Old 05-29-11, 10:00 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Contact the stations sponsors, only real way to get your message across.
Old 05-29-11, 10:05 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If Glenn Beck can lose his Faux News show because of threatened boycotts of advertisers, maybe these clowns can find their way to the unemployment line through the use of the same tool. What companies advertise with this station?
Old 05-29-11, 10:25 PM
vision646

Bikes: Campania Challenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the station's website: https://www.htzfm.com/index.aspx

And here are the only sponsors I found (hit refresh a couple of times)
https://calendar.stcatharines.ca/Modu...04%2013:00:00Z

https://www.dutyfree.ca/Home.aspx

Let them know how you feel!
Old 05-30-11, 12:25 AM
dissident

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
really distasteful, but cyclists who ride 'side by side' kind of like people who do the same thing down hallways and take up the entire hallway, do have it coming. It's like they think they are the center of the world. And they give other cyclists a bad name too.
Old 05-30-11, 02:47 AM
chasem
x

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoa now, in no way do they "have it coming." Sure they need to be educated, but to imply that they deserve any repercussion like getting hit by a car or even buzzed is ridiculous.
Old 05-30-11, 05:20 AM
Sylv
Philly Fanatic

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These champions of evolution have twitter accounts too:

https://twitter.com/#!/TheChrisBiggs

"So we've upset some cyclists. So, I guess I'll take this time to apologize to...wait a minute, they're cyclists...so...weather's nuts eh?"

"Love people who didn't even hear us on air loosing it over a biased article. Will discuss all Monday morning on 97.7 HTZ FM. Pfft cyclists."

https://twitter.com/#!/Jbarr

"Good bike ride this morning. Now workout. Mmm. Sweaty."
Old 05-30-11, 06:05 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just listened to the show,and guess what the topic was?Sounds like they did get alot of blow back from there comments. They are going to talk to a cyclist at 840 so you can tune in via internet.What they are saying is they never said to do some of the things in the article,one thing they said to do was put bees in a bag in the back of a truck and release them when passing bikers,i thought that was funny.What this seems to be all about was the one guy was driving and there were 3 cyclist riding 3 abreast, he waited till he could pass them safely.He said they made no attempt to close in,which he was expecting them to do.They sound like they are not avocating the stuff in the article,and are bike friendly.We will see what the cyclist says at 840.
Old 05-30-11, 10:27 AM
sdean911

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Ridley Boreas, Felt AR4, and Haro mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Practically the first thing I did this morning was read this and it upset me. I almost lost a friend who was taken out by a big side mirror of an irresponsible driver. He survived but never rode again. The people that call in and rant like neanderthals deserve no vioce but get it sometimes. Then the media takes a side, newspaper included. Now it is time to raise the bull@#$t filters.

I ended up emailing the General Manager of the station to get his attantion on this. According to him he is a cyclist himself and tryed to promote a good and safe dialog this morininig on his station. The simple fact that he took the time to write me back and explain his side tells me a lot about him. It is likely that this thing did get a little carried away on air, but then so did the reaction to the whole episode.

Just my 2 cents.

Be careful out there.

Greg
Old 05-30-11, 10:29 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by dissident
really distasteful, but cyclists who ride 'side by side' kind of like people who do the same thing down hallways and take up the entire hallway, do have it coming. It's like they think they are the center of the world. And they give other cyclists a bad name too.
Really? Wow...what an ass! You must be one of those who justify domestic violence because they "do have it coming".
Old 05-30-11, 10:54 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
So riding two abreast on a road is punishable by death?

Old 05-30-11, 10:56 AM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sdean911
Practically the first thing I did this morning was read this and it upset me. I almost lost a friend who was taken out by a big side mirror of an irresponsible driver. He survived but never rode again. The people that call in and rant like neanderthals deserve no vioce but get it sometimes. Then the media takes a side, newspaper included. Now it is time to raise the bull@#$t filters.

I ended up emailing the General Manager of the station to get his attantion on this. According to him he is a cyclist himself and tryed to promote a good and safe dialog this morininig on his station. The simple fact that he took the time to write me back and explain his side tells me a lot about him. It is likely that this thing did get a little carried away on air, but then so did the reaction to the whole episode.

Just my 2 cents.

Be careful out there.

Greg
Well, what are you waiting for, post his reply.
Old 05-30-11, 02:27 PM
TriEngineer
Fitter of road/ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have written to several individuals about this and will plan on sending emails to the head of the parent company. This violates the criminal code of Canada and may have significant repercussions for the show's staff.
Old 05-30-11, 04:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
this is legal in almost every state. I don't see how a person partaking in a legal activity is inviting illegal activity, whatever "have it coming" means to you.
Old 05-30-11, 04:18 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
this is legal in almost every state. I don't see how a person partaking in a legal activity is inviting illegal activity, whatever "have it coming" means to you.
Pretty simple really, your riding down the road, come up to 3 cyclists riding abreast going 20 mph, and you wait, and wait and wait with no effort of the cyclists to tighten up into a single file. Legal or not it is inconsiderate of others on the road and will likely provoke rude, retaliatory actions. I'm a cyclist and I get it. When this happens to me it pisses me off.
Old 05-30-11, 04:25 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Contact the stations sponsors, only real way to get your message across.
+1

Typical "shock jock" trying to stir some rage in his listeners. His ignorance and message of hate against cyclists is concerning. If people really want to do something about it, go to the sponsors of his show and tell them they just lost a dedicated listener if he doesn't stop his message of hate.
Old 05-30-11, 06:56 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Pretty simple really, your riding down the road, come up to 3 cyclists riding abreast going 20 mph, and you wait, and wait and wait with no effort of the cyclists to tighten up into a single file. Legal or not it is inconsiderate of others on the road and will likely provoke rude, retaliatory actions. I'm a cyclist and I get it. When this happens to me it pisses me off.
There's inconsiderate people everywhere...What are we to do?? Shoot them all??

There's nothing wrong with getting pissed and grumbling, but when you start threatening physical harm you have crossed the line...Simple as that!