Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 05-15-19, 09:30 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
mostly easy week this week,

commuting today
Fiesta tomorrow - road bike warmup then TT bike shakedown
F/S/Su: MTB camping weekend with friends at Mount Laguna. This is our 5th year, first trip this year. It will be cold up there, but dry. Should get 4-6 hrs in on Saturday between two rides, with a big climb on one of them. They will shuttle.
Road and TT bikes same day on Fiesta...copy cat.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-15-19, 10:47 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Last night: 5 x 5' @ 105-110% with 1' rest. (We used to call those ZeCanon Intervals in honor of a former member, now esteemed cycling journalist)

Hit all my targets without much difficulty and now think I need to retest, which I'm dreading.

Easy 1:20 of no structure commuting this morning.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-15-19, 10:55 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Two hours at endurance pace this morning. The VO2 max intervals are affecting me more than expected; this morning's ride felt a good bit harder than it should have. I guess that means I needed this. One more set left in this build.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 05-15-19, 11:59 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I gambled on having the form to do my 3x8 at lunch today after some TSS yesterday, but decided to eat during a meeting before workout instead of after. Gamble paid off.

Finally hit the 3x8 @290. The first time weeks back was a dumb idea and only made it like a few minutes into set #3 . Second try I made it into set #3 but had to soft pedal like 15sec then finish. Got it this time.

Now I'll have the core workout for inching into longer sets, then under/overs, and hitting the new 3min VO2 rep #'s. As right now I can only rep them out at 2min.

This is so far the longest/hardest gains in power I've worked on. I'm out of newbie gains now and into the real world. But the real world dividends have been fun. Even if I still lose.

Thanks for the encouragement revchuck! Every bit helps.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-15-19, 01:58 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
8 minute intervals for me as well, @burnthesheep. They're hard, definitely one of my least favorite durations. I've been trying to start them fairly conseratively and seeing how I feel for the last two.

Yesterday's first two were stronger than last week, but last two were weaker. But, I took yesterday off, and the legs always feel a little heavier when I do that. Also I re-zero'ed the PM after the first effort because my PE did not match my watts, so maybe it was reading a little low and I went a little too hard.

I'm just glad to be able to finish them. My best earlier in the season was 322w on the last effort of a set, but that was after I think 5 weeks straight of doing vo2 work. I just started doing these again last week, so I'm currently targeting around 305-315w. I estimate my FTP somewhere between 280-290. I haven't really tested in a while, but I did a 55 minute climb earlier this season at around 285, and I think I'm still in that ballpark after coming back from some setbacks. I have been doing the efforts on the trainer, though. I wonder if I could squeeze out a bit more outdoors.

Long distance endurance is feeling really good after BWR though. I felt really fresh at the end of my 4 hour z2 on Saturday. Sunday's Palomar climb @ 50-60 RPM and targeting 240w was a little tougher, especially the hilly ride back to the car.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 05-15-19, 06:06 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Whew boy am I tired. Just 30 minutes to spin the legs today.
Old 05-16-19, 08:38 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by revchuck
Two hours at endurance pace this morning. The VO2 max intervals are affecting me more than expected; this morning's ride felt a good bit harder than it should have. I guess that means I needed this. One more set left in this build.
I'm not sure what I'm doing with it yet, but I'm tracking CTL/ATL in Excel........by zone.

I wanted to see if I could correlate something in the data to how I felt or what I could do.

I'm not there yet, but, your feeling above I can sympathize with. I have to have a rest or easy day before VO2 and nothing super taxing after.

I'm on way less volume than these other folks in here, but, I definitely notice less overall TSS in weeks with more work in the harder zones than weeks spent on tempo "all you can eat SS".

I had an easy 5k run Sun/Mon and did a really good warmup before the Tue A-group ride. That I'd assume built some "form" and I crushed the VO2 efforts on the ride.

So, there is something to it. I'm just trying to quantify it for myself so I can predict when to try the tougher workouts OR call it and take a day to prep instead.

Ninja edit:
I looked in TP at my peaks from my road race that was about 10min longer than this week's group ride.

That comparison gave me an idea of the cost of riding stupid.

The group ride in which I felt great after.......I actually had MORE time in zone 5 and 6 total on less overall ride time than the road race. And more nominal power also.

Meaning, in the race I spent about 5 minutes too much time doing dumb stuff instead of getting back in line and resting for the next hit. Ultimately costing me a better result.

Last edited by burnthesheep; 05-16-19 at 08:50 AM.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-16-19, 09:09 AM
revchuck 
OMC

I did my last scheduled set of VO2 max intervals this morning, 5x3'. They went well, all of them 118-120%, and rather than limping home, I was back up to my normal endurance pace in a couple of minutes.

I had my weekly phone call with my coach afterward. She decided I was on a roll and added one more set for Saturday, 6-9x2'. No good deed goes unpunished. I'll have a few days for recovery and then it'll be back to volume and probably a gazillion threshold intervals.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 05-16-19, 10:48 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by wktmeow
8 minute intervals for me as well, @burnthesheep. They're hard, definitely one of my least favorite durations. I've been trying to start them fairly conseratively and seeing how I feel for the last two.

Yesterday's first two were stronger than last week, but last two were weaker. But, I took yesterday off, and the legs always feel a little heavier when I do that. Also I re-zero'ed the PM after the first effort because my PE did not match my watts, so maybe it was reading a little low and I went a little too hard.

I'm just glad to be able to finish them. My best earlier in the season was 322w on the last effort of a set, but that was after I think 5 weeks straight of doing vo2 work. I just started doing these again last week, so I'm currently targeting around 305-315w. I estimate my FTP somewhere between 280-290. I haven't really tested in a while, but I did a 55 minute climb earlier this season at around 285, and I think I'm still in that ballpark after coming back from some setbacks. I have been doing the efforts on the trainer, though. I wonder if I could squeeze out a bit more outdoors.

Long distance endurance is feeling really good after BWR though. I felt really fresh at the end of my 4 hour z2 on Saturday. Sunday's Palomar climb @ 50-60 RPM and targeting 240w was a little tougher, especially the hilly ride back to the car.
What percentage of FTP are you doing the 8' intervals at? 105-ish?
Old 05-16-19, 11:08 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
What percentage of FTP are you doing the 8' intervals at? 105-ish?
105%-110% is what I aim for, but with a full 8-10 min recovery in between, not the 2 minute rest protocol. Then if I'm feeling good, I'll blow out the last interval. My best this year was ~113%
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 05-16-19, 03:04 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
rain is coming here at not a bad time. de-loading a little.
Old 05-16-19, 06:22 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

We've got 10 days of rain in our forecast. Saturdays race is gonna be pretty miserable. It's about 1500 feet higher than here so we are looking at just barely cracking 45 degrees by noon.

Still trying to bring fatigue back down from earlier this week. 45 minutes easy today, openers and carb loading tomorrow.
Old 05-17-19, 05:45 PM
caloso

I have got to stop eating granola in the morning before an interval set. Causes burps like you wouldn't believe.
Old 05-17-19, 08:18 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Been in French Polynesia this past week on a bike cruise; today was Bora Bora which was beautiful, but not quite as beautiful as seen on TV. Still it was a 9 out 10 and that's only because Taha'a and Moorea were 10's. Did one loop with the wife, another I more or less TT'ed, but was slowed by traffic.

I almost went down in Taha'a, a descent in the valley had a ton of fruit and leaves on the road; with cars driving over it created a grease and I slipped a few inches but pulled it off.

I've linked my Stravas which has pics; I'm too lazy busy right now to post them.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2368625765
https://www.strava.com/activities/2371083311
https://www.strava.com/activities/2373602573
https://www.strava.com/activities/2375754693

I've been eating like crazy, but riding and swimming like crazy. What number I hit on the scale is a big mystery.
Old 05-17-19, 09:43 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
@furiousferret, Moorea was my favorite island in French Polynesia.

Drove out to the Piru TT course today and did a single 18 min interval at 107%. Paced it really well.

Beautiful day, to the left are orange trees covered in netting, to the right a hillside of mustard. And I saw a baby coyote, maybe 4 months old. I don’t have much use for coyotes but the pup was pretty cute.

Volunteering tomorrow at the race start for Tour of California. I pulled the bike valet gig.

Likes For Heathpack:
Old 05-18-19, 03:43 PM
revchuck 
OMC

@Heathpack, that's a long-ass VO2 max interval!

Rest day off the bike yesterday. Today was the for-real last VO2 max workout of the build. Did 9x2' at 118-122%, 2' RBI. I'm getting more comfortable at that effort level, I had a few more in me at the end.

Yard work intervals in the afternoon, heat index in the 90s. I almost wish cold beer didn't taste so good afterward...emphasis on almost.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-19-19, 10:37 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

My 3x8’s right now are at about 105%. It’s indoors and I have limited lunch hour time. So 4-5min rest.

Indoors with the fan the gym has I can drag over means I heat up by end of 2nd set. So it sucks.

My next trick is to take my fabric ruler in and set that bad boy up for TT setup work.

Today rode early for 2 hour. Three about 11min intervals. They had rollers so kinda a way under way over deal. But fun going fast. 30 min total at or over 270 in 2 hrs.

19mph for 2 hrs at 80ft per mile. A bus slowed my cross town flatter part. Grrrrrr. I still like a speedy result.

It was a morning ride so back home the scale was telling lies. 149 lb before taking fluids back on.

Also, I don’t like once in a blue moon seeing the Garmin throttle the HR to some impossible value. I felt fine and was at a nothing pace so thought it an anomaly. I wiggled it and stopped pedaling and it stopped. I was already sweating so should have had a connection.

I will still do my free physical soon though.
Old 05-20-19, 05:59 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I noticed this weekend that I've been tightening my trainer so much on my rear wheel that I've bent the trainer.
Old 05-20-19, 07:18 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Easy ride yesterday, even easier ride this morning. I might take tomorrow off or do another recovery ride. Nose returns to grindstone on Wednesday. CTL is 87, ATL is 71.

I'm usually okay with recovery periods, but this time I'm getting antsy.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-20-19, 10:30 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Do any of you know of an antihistamine that doesn't have bizarre low key side effects? This time of year there are times I have to take Allegra (non pseudo) because I get awful hay fever rash and also wind up having to use my inhaler in situations I otherwise would not need to. It makes me feel a bit off though, and also I wind up overheating like 10 degrees cooler than I otherwise would.
Old 05-20-19, 12:44 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

2x20 steady state with 5min rest in the TT position at lunch. Need to plan a simulation ride for this week sometime also. Maybe 3.5 laps of the 7mi loop west of town.

Next month will focus on getting that power up.

It's amazing what you can do well paced instead of with little excursions over the limit.

I'm verifying with the wife tonight I can go to the regional or state "championship" TT event. I've heard it called both. I'll get whipped, but that's ok. $30 for an official time slip and a neat time is worth every penny. I'll prep the best I can myself and equipment, plan really well, and do my thing. And learn a lot in the process.
Old 05-20-19, 01:40 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Weights and riding all weekend.

Friday was leg day, did sthe usual - squats, romanian deadlifts, barbell hack squats, nordic curls.

Saturday was chest and shoulders at the gym (couldn't hit reps, probably due to the cut) followed by 13' and 3x9' a bit over threshold with 2'+ RBI. The rest was a tad long due to descending in the rain, and I went the extra minute purely to burn more calories since I'm currently cutting.

Sunday was back day at the gym, working on one arm pull up drills, landmine rows, rear delt flys and EZ bar curls. Followed that up with a 5 hour bike ride without power. My computer finally bit the dust so I downloaded an app for that, but it disconnected from my sensors at a bathroom/food stop. It was nice to climb a mountain without wanting to die for once lol. Probably was around 85% on the climbs.
Old 05-20-19, 04:53 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Do any of you know of an antihistamine that doesn't have bizarre low key side effects? This time of year there are times I have to take Allegra (non pseudo) because I get awful hay fever rash and also wind up having to use my inhaler in situations I otherwise would not need to. It makes me feel a bit off though, and also I wind up overheating like 10 degrees cooler than I otherwise would.
That's already a 2nd gen antihistamine. You could try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetirizine
Old 05-20-19, 05:12 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I take loratidine (Claritin). Seems to work for me. When in big trouble nothing works for me but Pseudo.. which I know is prohibited in competition.
Old 05-20-19, 05:15 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I take loratidine (Claritin). Seems to work for me. When in big trouble nothing works for me but Pseudo.. which I know is prohibited in competition.
Not anymore, so long as you don't exceed the recommended dosage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.