Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Bianchi from the 70s 80s or 90s ? Help !

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 05-29-19, 12:34 AM
JerryBerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HI all those out there, I need help with identifying this frame and fork ? Do you know what frame it is ? Made of steel but which kind and from which year ? What would this frame be worth ? Its in really good condition.

@Bianchigirll
do you maybe have a clue ?

Pics here..

Last edited by JerryBerry; 05-29-19 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 04:23 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
I see nothing to indicate that this actually is a Bianchi. The dropout still has its derailleur hanger and chain stay cable stop, so I assume the absence of top tube cable tunnels and shift lever bosses is OEM condition and not a case of drewing. These features, in conjunction with OEM bottle bosses would suggest circa 1975-1977. The frame appears to be high grade but even during this period the upper end Bianchi had embossed stay caps and I can't recall seeing any Bianchi with that style of lug cutout. Do you own the bicycle or is it just under your consideration for purchase?
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-29-19, 11:32 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
I would agree probably not a Bianchi also the fork is likely not original to the frame. As presented no id repainted mislabeled I would say $75 for the frame set. With the not so great kinda ugly SS/FG build only $175 for the whole bike. If considering buying this bike IMHO the OP should pass.
Old 05-29-19, 04:09 PM
JerryBerry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes im considering purchasing this only if its Bianchi. But then again im not sure the frame is one. Its going for 390 USD
Old 05-29-19, 04:43 PM
JerryBerry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I see nothing to indicate that this actually is a Bianchi. The dropout still has its derailleur hanger and chain stay cable stop, so I assume the absence of top tube cable tunnels and shift lever bosses is OEM condition and not a case of drewing. These features, in conjunction with OEM bottle bosses would suggest circa 1975-1977. The frame appears to be high grade but even during this period the upper end Bianchi had embossed stay caps and I can't recall seeing any Bianchi with that style of lug cutout. Do you own the bicycle or is it just under your consideration for purchase?
Maybe this is a better view ? I can make out a Brev Campangnolo imprint ? Does this confirm its a bianchi frame ? It seems Italian for sure doesn't it ?
Old 05-29-19, 06:43 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Hard to tell with the heavy powder coat but the dropouts look to be Campy 1010 which were used by nearly every Italian builder along with a lot of British makers and many US builders during the 70's. So about all you can tell from these is it's a nicer mid level frame.
Old 05-30-19, 03:27 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,456 Posts
I agree I don't think it is a Bianchi. I would expect to see at least a B on the head/downtube lug if it was oldeer than '88 and may be still Bianchi on the dropouts. Did Bianchi ever ues a window lug on mid grade frames? But it could be from a European market, just where are you and the bike?

The use of the front wheel retainers to adjust the rear wheel is interesting.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 05-30-19, 05:17 AM
JerryBerry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I agree I don't think it is a Bianchi. I would expect to see at least a B on the head/downtube lug if it was oldeer than '88 and may be still Bianchi on the dropouts. Did Bianchi ever ues a window lug on mid grade frames? But it could be from a European market, just where are you and the bike?

The use of the front wheel retainers to adjust the rear wheel is interesting.
I am based in Europe in Copenhagen Denmark and the seller is from Italy selling on ebay.

He says its a bianchi and but im not so sure. I mean He is Italian so maybe its true ?

Here is the link if anyone is interested in helping me decide if i should pull the gun on this or not ? If its authentic Bianchi i will get it. As its a flip flop so i can have a choice as a fixie or freewheel single speed for urban riding. zukahn1 T-Mar Bianchigirll
What do you say ? Is the price right ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bianchi-B...0603%7Ciid%3A1

Jeremiah

Last edited by JerryBerry; 05-30-19 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-30-19, 06:40 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Regardless of what it is...and I would listen to the above about it not being a Bianchi, it is not worth that asking price. The paint looks awful and it's a mystery frame frankenbike.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 05-30-19, 06:49 AM
T-Mar

As I stated earlier, it does appear to be a high grade frame but I see no evidence to suggest that it is a Bianchi. The Campagnolo 1010 dropouts were widely used on high end models from the early 1970s through to the introduction of the Portacatena dropout for the 1978 model year. I've seen embossed stay caps on high end Bianchi with confirmed serial numbers as early a 1973, so the lack these embossings on the subject frame makes the stated Bianchi lineage suspect. Also, none of the Bianchi that I've seen from the subject period have used the chainstay to dropout transition with the distinct lip. Speaking of this lip, the drive side seats stay end shows a distinct offset in the lip with a crack leading up to a void, as if there was a failure at this point that was repaired.

As to value, I have no appreciation of European market conditions, so I'll defer to other members.
Old 05-30-19, 08:39 AM
JerryBerry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alternative

Thanks all for your great Input. You have made me see what i couldn't . I'LL pass on it then. BUT what do you say to the following ? Its going for like 400 Eur a shade under 500 USD. Nothing comes cheap in Copenhagen !!

This seems to be legit B Rekord 642 from the 80s I presume ? Do you guys agree this is the real deal then ? And if so is it worth for a single speed conversion of a vintage frame ?

Old 05-30-19, 09:00 AM
zukahn1 

Yes this one is a real Bianchi being a lesser mid level model with a yuck cheap coaster brake build the price is way high in the US this would only be a $150-200 bike in most markets. In the $400-500 price range you should be able to do a lot better if your looking for SS/FG Bianchi you can likely find a Echo Pista that is a real SS/FG and not a cheap conversion.
Old 05-30-19, 09:17 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
From England...

This is the one I would invest in...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CIOCC-CLA...AAAOSw64Ncmlkn

Bianchis
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bianchi-V...MAAOSwXC1c2niQ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bianchi-b...sAAOSwC5Rcxc8J

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-B...kAAOSwYsxc6rnr
Old 05-30-19, 09:57 AM
T-Mar

The 2nd offering is a legitimate Bianchi, specifically a 1982 model. It is Italian, as opposed to being one of the early Japanese manufactured frames. As noted, this is a mass produced mid-range model with tretubi Columbus Sl,at best. It may be even lower grade tubing, as tretubi SL models,would typically have down tube shift lever bosses during this era., though European Bianchi models do not always directly correlate with American models. Also, it is another repaint. Again, I have no appreciation for European market conditions but in America there is no way that I would pay even close to the asking price.
Old 05-30-19, 10:13 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
^^ would be my pick. Unfortunately, getting it shipped might not be possible.

But I wouldn't butcher it into a fixie either. If you want to do that, get something that's really disposable; alternatively as has already been recommended, get a bike that was designed as a fixie.
Old 06-01-19, 11:38 AM
JerryBerry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about this ?

Guys what bout this ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bianchi-L...e/143270529942

Old 06-01-19, 09:56 PM
zukahn1 

Well this one is 3x better than the other 2 for a Eureo style cruiser but still overpriced. Nice bike but worth only 250 plus shipping/
Old 06-02-19, 05:32 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
@JerryBerry you gotta remember - when considering "what's good value" - the EU market is incredibly different to the mostly US advice you may get here... and then again, the EU market is also different from one geography to another. Generally, I see the US market is much more competitive and there are much better deals to be had on bikes in the US... or maybe I'm just used to paying Dublin prices, and everything else is inexpensive by comparison (similar to Copenhagen, perhaps?)

I will say, the technical advice from this forum is second to none.

Back to the money thing: I recommend patience, and to track (for some amount of time) what's available and what's selling in your region, to get a feel for the market. As you said, "nothing comes cheap in Copenhagen!". If you know what you're looking at, and know your market, then maybe what's ridiculously overpriced for Florida (or Iowa, or New Jersey, or Boulder...) is quite fair for you.

I'm not sure about exactly what you're after - must it be a Bianchi? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Bianchi fan, I've got three of them... but you've got loads of bikes at your disposal, really nice ones.
Old 06-04-19, 05:49 AM
JerryBerry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Modern Alternative

I appreciate all the input i get here which really helps me decide. What is clear is that prices in Europe are certainly a little higher but as you all mentioned its about being patient and scouring the market.

This has led me to this , the 2013,14 Bianchi Pista Sei Giorn here in a FLIP FLOP variation and the TREK Urban District single speed with belt drive. I know these new ones are made in Taiwan and that is making me a little reluctant.

but the price i was being quoted here in Denmark for the Pista was 600 Eurs /680USD and Trek for 400Eur/450USD.

I will try them both and see how i feel on them.

The pista comes with some good parts i think

Wheels: Miche Pistard Hubs Miche Primato Pista/Strada FlipFlop Hub Crank arm: Miche Primato Handlebar: Cinelli Pedals: Shimano spd pd-M530