Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hydration Practices and Techniques

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hydration Practices and Techniques

Old 08-15-19, 06:35 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,934 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Another problem with estimates of maximal water absorption rate is that hydration status has a big influence on it. A number from a study in well hydrated individuals is irrelevant.

Let me also say that caffeine is a weak diuretic, which loses its effect in the face of even mild dehydration. I once had to sit through a few hours of caffeine talk from people at the Army’s Soldier Systems Center in Natick, MA. They field trialed the hell out of it in elite operators doing terrible things for days on end and it increased performance with no effect on hydration.
Yep, I usually go through 4 mugs of coffee on a weekend morning then top off with a 12 oz glass of water before my long rides. Not dehydrated at all.
Old 08-15-19, 07:24 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Around here, we don’t get peak hot weather without terrible air quality. I don’t mess with it.
Old 08-15-19, 01:49 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
There's a Finnish sauna study, IIRC centered around CVD, which found that one had to sauna 5 days a week to get the benefit. Those who only sauna 1-2 times/week didn't get the benefit. Might be the same for us. Benefit was lower CVD risk but I don't remember the mechanism.
Old 08-15-19, 01:53 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
This is anecdotal at best kind of 'data'.

But after a handful of days being more mindful of hydration and actually practicing some reasonable hydration actions on my medium length rides (call it 2'ish hours), I get a sense of something that had not occurred to me before.

First it is clear that starting your hydration with slow sipping very early in a ride, yields (for me) a real limitation in water processing. Anything more than a single water bottle (24 oz in my case) gets relatively uncomfortable. But it seems that once your body has decided that 'dehydration is on the way', things kind of open up and I can start processing a whole lot more water per hour than that single bottle.

At least that is my sense of things at this point. If that is true then that pretty much resolves my concern.

dave
Old 08-15-19, 02:10 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Your hydration needs to be starting 1 or 2 days before. If you have a big ride planned this weekend, you should be ramping up the water intake starting today. I have a 14 mile run on Saturday morning. I will increase my water intake starting this evening through Saturday morning.
Old 08-15-19, 02:14 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
This is anecdotal at best kind of 'data'.

But after a handful of days being more mindful of hydration and actually practicing some reasonable hydration actions on my medium length rides (call it 2'ish hours), I get a sense of something that had not occurred to me before.

First it is clear that starting your hydration with slow sipping very early in a ride, yields (for me) a real limitation in water processing. Anything more than a single water bottle (24 oz in my case) gets relatively uncomfortable. But it seems that once your body has decided that 'dehydration is on the way', things kind of open up and I can start processing a whole lot more water per hour than that single bottle.

At least that is my sense of things at this point. If that is true then that pretty much resolves my concern.

dave
This is exactly why I start drinking well in advance of a long ride.

I should be hydrating and peeing a clear stream as the beginning of the ride approaches.

All those people on line for the porta-potty before a century are onto something

-Tim-
Old 08-15-19, 02:16 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
In the summer, I will use a Camelbak with 70 ounces of chilled water plus two 25 oz thermos bottles one with Cytomax and one with whey protein mix. This was sufficient for a 55 mile 6K climb ride over 5 hours in 80 to 95 degree temps yesterday.

Some roadies c/o a Camelbak being uncomfortable but I think constantly sipping water trumps that assertion. After all, I am riding for recreation not racing.
Old 08-15-19, 02:55 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Your hydration needs to be starting 1 or 2 days before. If you have a big ride planned this weekend, you should be ramping up the water intake starting today. I have a 14 mile run on Saturday morning. I will increase my water intake starting this evening through Saturday morning.
One 'problem' that I have is that my prostate is the same age that I am. There are some things that simply are not happening

Dave

Ps. I would need some serious convincing b4 accepting that what I drink on Thursday has much of an effect on hydration on Saturday.
Old 08-15-19, 03:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If I drink too much water on Thursday (by getting dehydrated in the morning and then overcompensating in response to endless thirst) I'll still be peeing too much on Saturday.
Old 08-15-19, 03:17 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
When it comes to riding in the "heat" all I can say is personally as I aged past 60 from there on my tolerance to heat while exercising began to significantly decrease. I'm 73 now and I have to really lower my efforts on longer climbs as the temperature rises.
Old 08-15-19, 03:33 PM
MoAlpha
• —

One 'problem' that I have is that my prostate is the same age that I am. There are some things that simply are not happening

Dave

Ps. I would need some serious convincing b4 accepting that what I drink on Thursday has much of an effect on hydration on Saturday.
The advantage of early hydration is that transfer of water from the vascular space into cells and the interstitial space takes time and the “charging curve” is a logarithmic function, which begins to asymptote as the osmotic gradient driving water redistribution decreases.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If I drink too much water on Thursday (by getting dehydrated in the morning and then overcompensating in response to endless thirst) I'll still be peeing too much on Saturday.
I have often wondered about this phenomenon, which I get too, especially sailing, where you can be very busy for hours and forget to drink and then go off watch and go crazy on the water or, worse yet, finish the race and hit the bar. I think this also has to do with lagging repletion and signaling, but I need to refresh my rusty physiology and think about it.
Old 08-15-19, 03:55 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Easy trick, just be dehydrated all the time! I usually ride 6 days a week, and note that my one firm off-day (Mondays) I urinate more quantity, more often-- relatively speaking, anyway.

I did a warm-ish 50 miles this morning, and despite having taken in 200+ ounces so far today, I've used the restroom just twice since I got back from the ride.

I think I'm perpetually dehydrated.
Old 08-15-19, 04:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I have often wondered about this phenomenon, which I get too, especially sailing, where you can be very busy for hours and forget to drink and then go off watch and go crazy on the water or, worse yet, finish the race and hit the bar. I think this also has to do with lagging repletion and signaling, but I need to refresh my rusty physiology and think about it.
I used to date a lady whose sense of thirst just didn't work at all. I don't know how that's possible, evening would roll around and she's realize the only thing she drank all day was a cup of coffee. Must have been pretty bad for her. This phenomenon where your body takes a while to turn the thirst down after you start replenishing ... I'll take it. 🙂
Old 08-17-19, 07:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

I ran out of water today, about 20 miles from the car. Expected to be able to get more along the way, I went through a little town with no store. Go figure.

I drank a gallon of iced electrolyte water on the drive home. And a 24 ounce iced latte.

I'd prefer not to do that again.
Old 08-19-19, 12:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've been using creatine starting the day before a long summer ride, based on the theory that it helps retain water. Might have helped Saturday. I carried two 24 oz bottles for a 50 mile group ride (60 by the time I got home) and ran out at 40, which was the first convenience store we came across. Other folks were also running out of water about the same time. I chugged a 16 oz can of iced coffee, refilled both bottles with whatever cold sports drinks they had in the store.

My legs were pretty dead by the time I got home but was otherwise okay. I'd ridden 70 miles in the heat a couple of days earlier, which was the main reason my legs nearly quit about 3 miles from home. After breaking off from the group I just slowed down to 10 mph and coasted every opportunity.

But it seemed like pushing my luck. I wasn't familiar with this group's training route and didn't realize it would be 40 miles to the first convenience store. Next ride I'll go back to my usual summer practice of taking a third bottle -- usually a collapsible Mylar pouch with frozen electrolyte mix. Fits my middle jersey pocket, and is thawed by the time the two frame mounted bottles are empty. I can see why one of the group wore a Camelbak backpack. He may have been the only one who wasn't out of water by that point.
Old 08-19-19, 08:24 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Since this is the hydration/dehydration thread, should we talk about something that happens to us/goes along with hydration/dehydration in the steamy/more humid regions of the country? I'm talking about prickly heat. Should we talk about that here or start another thread?
Old 08-19-19, 10:18 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I'm a water hog. I can drain a 3 liter camelbak on a 3 hour ride in NorCal. I carry one 20 oz water bottle with just water for pouring over if I need it.

I also suggest a low or no sugar electrolyte.
Old 08-19-19, 12:09 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Consider juicing cucumber first thing in the AM. (16 ounces of juice) It hydrates well and provides energy to the liver

Another thing that I find is that when I drink water that HHO gas (Brown's Gas) has bubbled through it, the water does not leave my body for quite awhile even after having a litre of it. It seems to go right to the cells. Lots of good science on the beneficial effects of the hydrogen on the physiology in a variety of issues. It basically is food to the mitochondria, so it can make ATP, the energy of the cells. Breathing the HHO gas while it bubbles through the water and then drinking the infused water is our preferred method.

This is the unit we use: https://eagle-research.com/product/ac50/

Studies references : https://hydrotonix.com/hydrogen-blog...chanisms-of-mo
Molecular hydrogen studies | CHESS
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5731988/

Podcasts ; https://oneradionetwork.com/all-shows/george-wiseman-hydrogen-the-breath-of-god-august-15-2019/
https://oneradionetwork.com/all-shows/george-wiseman-hydrogen-for-health-in-your-water-and-breathing-the-gas-june-18-2019/
https://oneradionetwork.com/all-show...-june-18-2019/ (Podcast has a promo code for 10% discount.)

So far this method has completely cleared up a very dark spot headed for melanoma status. (3 to 4 weeks)
Old 08-19-19, 12:29 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by alanf

So far this method has completely cleared up a very dark spot headed for melanoma status. (3 to 4 weeks)
My money's on that monthly shower.
Old 08-19-19, 12:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I'm talking about prickly heat.
*shudder* Totally forgot about that. I used to get that when I was young. Super annoying.
Old 08-19-19, 12:34 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by SCTinkering
I'm a water hog. I can drain a 3 liter camelbak on a 3 hour ride in NorCal. I carry one 20 oz water bottle with just water for pouring over if I need it.

I also suggest a low or no sugar electrolyte.
Define low. Sugar is in that stuff because some important K and NA conservation mechanisms are insulin-dependent.
Old 08-19-19, 02:51 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I put 5 nuun in a 3 liter camelbak 2 vitamin 3 non-caffinated sport. so 12 grams of carb for 3 liters while cranking 30-40 miles. those 12 grams likely get burned pretty fast.

I mix up a camelbak full the night before and let it fully fizz out. Extra belching.

12 grams of sugar over 3 hours isn't enough to trigger an obvious insulin response in me, but I'm also not fooling myself that I'm running on fat either.
Old 08-19-19, 02:54 PM
shakey start

Bikes: Parlee Chebacco for now

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
When it comes to riding in the "heat" all I can say is personally as I aged past 60 from there on my tolerance to heat while exercising began to significantly decrease. I'm 73 now and I have to really lower my efforts on longer climbs as the temperature rises.
Same age and same modality. Clearly more susceptible to humidity and higher heat indices, so I guess it's an aging phenomenon. I stay in Colorado for the summers now to escape.
Old 08-19-19, 03:07 PM
Mesher

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See a doctor. It seems you have a serious medical issue.
Old 08-19-19, 09:30 PM
balesmachine

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Enduring the Heat

How to bicycle better in the heat.

Here is what I’ve learned from my 48+ years of riding in the heat. I live in Fort Worth, Texas. I’ve haven’t lived here my whole life . . . . yet!

Texas summers can be pretty hot, for sure. I’ve always done well in the heat, and I’ve been asked what’s my secret. I think the recipe for doing well in the heat is, ready for this, ride in the heat. Seriously though, I think my secret is riding 1 to 1.5 hours during the hottest part of the day. Do it two or three times a week. Don’t go longer than that during this “training” session. Pretty soon, your body will know exactly what to do when it’s hot. Most folks can endure this length of ride. It's short enough that dehydration shouldn’t be a factor. I’ve always commuted to work. I try to do it two or three days a week during the warm parts of the year. I am the worst cold weather wimp, I admit.

I recently had a good friend that bonked on a very hot weekend ride. I met him a few weeks later and he said he went to the doctor, and found out his pituitary gland wasn’t working right, and got a little pill to take and everything was better. This spurred my interest, and I started searching out just what your body does, when you exercise in the heat, especially riding a bike. Here is what I learned.

I admit that I may have some of the details slightly off, but the general facts stand true (I think).

Your hypothalamus resides in your brain. One of its jobs is to regulate your core temperature. It controls your heart rate, your breathing, your perspiration, directs blood flow, and blood quantity, among other things. When you’re riding in the heat, it chimes in and starts doing its magic. It maintains your core temperature plus of minus one degree. That alone is amazing, considering the outdoor temperature can range from below freezing to over 100 degrees. It keeps your core temperature at 97.6 to 99.6 degrees. WOW.

When you ride you bike, you generate heat. More heat than when your sitting on the couch watching the Tour De France. When you start getting hot, your hypothalamus tells your heart to speed up. It then changes where your blood goes in your body. Normally about 20 percent of your blood volume resides right under your skin, and 80 percent goes to your muscles, and everywhere else. When your riding in the heat, 80 percent is under you skin, and 20 percent is left to work your muscles and everything else. This is why it's impossible to perform as well in the heat – you simply don’t have enough blood to feed those bulging quads, and everything else.

Another thing that happens without our knowledge is, when it gets hot, the hypothalamus directs your body to manufacture more blood to help fill in the void left by all that blood that’s now under you skin.

It also directs the fluids in the cells of your body to go to the sweat cells and make your skin wet. Wet skin plus a little wind, equals cooling. In fact, as long as it's not too humid and you have ample fluid supply, your body’s air conditioner works pretty well. All that hot blood right under that cool skin will release the heat of your body. The blood gets cooled off a bit and returns to the core, and voila, your core gets cooler.

Everything works great, most of the time. But sometimes certain conditions can make things run amuck. Here are some.

Humidity! Humidity is your enemy. When the air is humid, and it's hot outside, the water on your skin won’t evaporate. Without evaporation, you have little or no cooling. You overheat!

Dehydration. Of course, you have to be hydrated to have enough water supply in your cells to sweat. Being dehydrated removes the water from this wonderful evaporation air conditioner, and, you guessed it. You overheat!

Here’s a little about hydration and dehydration. During a strenuous ride in the heat, you can only absorb about half the volume of fluid that you perspire out. It doesn't matter how much you drink. So you will be somewhat dehydrated after the event. The last time you performed well on a long ride in the heat, it probably had as much to do with how well you hydrated the day before the event, as it did the day of the event. So start the day before saturating all your cells in your body with fluid. A few years ago, I went to the Tour of California, and we stayed in the hotel where a bunch of the pro riders were staying. It was a small town, so after the days race, the Pro riders were walking around town. We noticed that every single one of them had a water bottle or two, and were drinking constantly. They were re-hydrating for the next days race.

Your body is amazing. It does all this stuff without us having to think about it. If we had a set of instruments and knobs, that we had to keep set right, we would all die – just because we forgot to lower the landing gear, or something.

Lastly, what happens if you push through the pain of heat exhaustion? I can assure you - YOUR HYPOTHALAMUS WILL STOP YOU! It has enormous power. You will slow down and stop, no matter how much will power you have. Trouble is if you go too far, you may carry it with you forever. Once you've had full blown heat exhaustion or heat stroke, you will always be more susceptible to the heat.

hope this helps

Steve

I am a high sweating kind of guy, even though I am of average size (5'10" and 155 pounds). I have mostly dealt with this by avoiding heat of the day long rides. But there are lots of folks who do stuff like the Hotter N' Hell ride soon coming up. My question is 'how do people like me take something like that on'. FWIW, I have no intention of riding this event, but trying to do longer rides here in south-central NC is a similar issue.

For me I routinely sweat 4-5 pounds an hour in hot weather. I have run more carefully controlled experiments in the past, but today's (miserable) ride is a good example. It was only 90 minutes and no water as my brand new bike's water cages do not get here until tomorrow (just didn't bother taking the old cages off - only 90 minutes so). It was hard at the end but nothing surprising or anything that presented symptoms other than being more tired than the pace says I should have been.

When I got up this morning I weighed 156.5 pounds (immediately after a quick stop at the toilet). I drank a couple cups of coffee while doing some home admin work and then off on the ride. Nothing else went in or out, as I recall (OK - I did not hold my breath the whole time). When I got back I stripped and got back on the scales. I weighed 148.6 pounds. I seemed to have lost 8 pounds of water in 90 minutes. And the temp during the ride was between 86 and 90 degrees. This is consistent with 'better' experiments that I have done in the past.

From what I have read of water absorption rates, 1.5 pounds an hour is probably the best that you can do. So if I were to take on Hotter N' Hell at an easy 5.5 hour pace, I lose around 27 pounds of water. During this time I could absorb maybe 8-9 pounds of water, probably leaving me comatose if I actually did this.

How do folks like me deal with such rides?

Thanks.

dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.