Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crazy New Bike Day

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Crazy New Bike Day

Old 08-11-19, 07:19 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
The pics say everything...but some of us are waiting with baited breath to hear about what was up with the rear triangle.

-Kurt
Well, at one point it had been spread from 126 to 130, but it seemed the spread was off to the left, resulting in the rear wheel being off to the left by about 1/8". Mark tweaked the spacing (I actually put my hands in there, too, but don't know if my added forced did much of anything) and tweaked the dish/true of the rear wheel as well. When he put it back in, voila, it all lined up. Seems it was a little of both (wheel and frame).

Sure rides great! I'll add specifics when I do my data-dump later this evening.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-11-19, 07:26 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Well, at one point it had been spread from 126 to 130, but it seemed the spread was off to the left, resulting in the rear wheel being off to the left by about 1/8". Mark tweaked the spacing (I actually put my hands in there, too, but don't know if my added forced did much of anything) and tweaked the dish/true of the rear wheel as well. When he put it back in, voila, it all lined up. Seems it was a little of both (wheel and frame).

DD
As always, nothing a proper laying on of the hands couldn't fix.

You just have to find the right hands.
Old 08-11-19, 07:27 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts

Sounds like someone did a very unmeasured one-side-yank.

It's shocking how much the chainstays and rear brake bridge appear off by a gazillion millimeters if a frame is pulled over ever so slightly towards the wrong side.

Really happy - and relieved. I don't mind admitting that some of those "nervous expectant father" feelings spilled over here too.

-Kurt

Old 08-11-19, 07:30 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by merziac
As always, nothing a proper laying on of the hands couldn't fix.

You just have to find the right hands.
Exactly - and nice that the dood that has them offered to take care of this for me. Free dinner was his reward

DD
Old 08-11-19, 07:33 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Sounds like someone did a very unmeasured one-side-yank.

It's shocking how much the chainstays and rear brake bridge appear off by a gazillion millimeters if a frame is pulled over ever so slightly towards the wrong side.

Really happy - and relieved. I don't mind admitting that some of those "nervous expectant father" feelings spilled over here too.

-Kurt
I know, right? And yeah, I have to admit to being relieved, too. I'd have been crestfallen if I'd found it couldn't be rectified, but then again, I had high hopes since the frame looked so good it was hard to imagine it could've been badly off from a crash - there was just no evidence for it.

I had to laugh a bit that you, too, felt some of those feelings vicariously! But I get that; I have found myself invested in other's projects over the course of time here. Not a few of them were yours

I see you have a whole new fleet of interesting two-wheeled goodness. I'm watching that thread with interest, see what you do with them!

DD
Old 08-11-19, 07:46 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
I know, right? And yeah, I have to admit to being relieved, too. I'd have been crestfallen if I'd found it couldn't be rectified, but then again, I had high hopes since the frame looked so good it was hard to imagine it could've been badly off from a crash - there was just no evidence for it.

I had to laugh a bit that you, too, felt some of those feelings vicariously! But I get that; I have found myself invested in other's projects over the course of time here. Not a few of them were yours

I see you have a whole new fleet of interesting two-wheeled goodness. I'm watching that thread with interest, see what you do with them!
Indications of a crash would have actually been a bit more relaxing - crash damage means it was right once and thus can be righted. Conversely, something that looks that minty but off that much makes me worry about framebuilders having "off" days.

I always try to make the builds entertaining. Even those tiny Andante track bikes from Recyclable Bicycle Exchange are going to serve well for an article series.

A lot of the fleet from before my departure is still here (the '51 Raleighs, the '79 Rudge, '70 Twenty, '61 Paramount, '82 Superior, and '78 Pro Mk.V) but I do seem to be adding Professionals and things painted like them (the '64 Bottecchia) in short order. Not to mention any and every Raleigh Twenty that crosses my path. I also have that Carlton Kermesse that I got in a trade here that turned out to be too tall - I'm going to have the seat lug repaired, paint it up, and do something with it. Don't know just what yet.

Either way, I had to do something about opening the shed and having nothing but a Raleigh/Carlton or Schwinn to show for it Part of me really wants that Roberts so I can flex my "British gets Bluemels" directive.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 08-11-19, 09:27 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Okay, first I will post pics of the final product (until I finally cave in and wrap the blue Benotto under black Newbaum's) in all her finery. I'm finishing up my notes, so will probably do the ride report and final write-up tomorrow. Better than the reverse.

Here she is in downtown Redmond during today's ride:

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-11-19, 09:34 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

A few more:

Words tomorrow

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-12-19, 01:01 PM
shnibop 

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Wow! Another DD masterpiece. Absolutely love it! Understated but somehow still has a certain je ne sais quoi. Can’t quite place my finger on it. A fairly “standard” build up but something just makes it look extra special. Maybe it’s just me.
Likes For shnibop:
Old 08-12-19, 05:24 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Okay, time to wrap this up.

First off, let me say that while the early stages of acquisition were a bit trying (not to mention the difficulties with the seller while trying to determine whether it was worthy of acquisition), this has come together into a splendid bike and will serve as the perfect bookend to the oldest bike in my collection (and only other to sport chrome head lugs), the gold Colnago Mexico. The post-removal, clean-up and frame tweaking produced a very clean, used but not abused basis for this build.

While it's not as-found, I didn't change much. Most of what is unoriginal was substituted out of necessity.

Original equipment still in place:

Frame/fork
Headset - Campy NR
BB - Phil Wood
Crankset - Campy SR 1982 Datecode
FD - Campy SR
RD - Campy SR 1982 Datecode
Campy seatpost binder bolt

Original equipment saved for periodic use/refinish:

Phil Wood hubs laced to Ambrosio Durex Synthesis tubular rims
Gommitalia tubular tires
Regina CX FW
Regina CX chain
Campy SR seatpost

Original equipment sold/for sale:

Brooks Professional Select saddle
Modolo Professional brakeset
Cinelli 1R stem
Cinelli Campione del Mondo bar
Vittoria Superlight pedals

I had to replace the bar/stem combo with something longer for my fit; the 3ttt combo had been sitting around forever and I was fortunate that it fit this particular build to a T. For now, I plan on running this bike on clinchers, so the tubular wheelset has been set aside - I may make cleaning up the rims and taping up new tires a winter project in between homework. When the wheelset goes back on the bike, I'll substitute the chain and FW (keeping the original with the original, and hopefully getting consistent wear on those components), too. These components have been replaced by the wheelset from the Somec (Campy Record hubs on Rigida rims with an NOS Suntour Ultra 6). There's actually room for either a Portacatena or a 7th cog back there with the Ultra spacing. Pretty cool! The bailout is a 23t out back with standard 42 low in front, however, the big ring is only a 52 compared with 53 on all my other bikes. I used another one of my stash of Sedisport chains picked up via Boulder Bicycle in a package deal (bulk chain cut down and in funky packaging,). I absolutely love these chains, they are so accurate in shifting and are still the quietest chains I've ever come across. The tires, as noted previously, came from @Andy Antipas.

The post, alas, didn't look too hot after I released it from captivity, but I will be able to clean it up enough to be somewhat presentable.

I took the post from the Somec and pressed the 3ttt saddle into service. Pulled the brake calipers from the Casati (in turn, the Casati got the brake calipers from the Somec) and used one of my last pairs of spare brake levers (as noted earlier, I had to put on hoods which was a not-so-fun experience). I even found some used gray Campy brake housing in the Magic Box that ended up being just long enough to work on this project. The Brooks saddle and Modolo Pros went to a local pal of mine who has a couple builds in the pipeline that needed parts. I will sell the stem (too short) and bar (don't need another spare bar) and pedals (waaaaay too light for me) on Ebay and get a little more of my outlay back.

One significant change was the pedals. Earlier this year I was able to snag not one but two different pairs of old-school Barelli pedals and I've been riding them a lot. I like them, but not for any long distance. I have wide feet, and my little toes go to sleep if they don't have support for too long. The Barellis have no quills, so my little toes hang over the ends a bit; after about 20 miles I have to get off and walk around to get the circulation going again. I had a nice pair of Campy SLs with steel clips and blue Binda straps; they came off the gold Colnago when I mounted the second set of Barellis on it. They went on here and made a world of difference.

In keeping with the look of period water bottle cages, I found a tubular titanium Blackburn cage. I have these on almost all my bikes, but this is the only titanium one. Kind of a special part - but not the most special part

Each bike I own has something on it that either distinguishes it from the others in my own collection or is simply rare or uncommon, period. In one case, it's a piece of drillium both myself and the late Jon Williams worked together; in another, it's a pair of Campy track hub QR levers from 1968. This tradition began with my Colnago Mexico, which sports a Campy Hi-Low hub; you get the idea. This build is fairly straightforward when it comes to components, but the embossed and curved Campagnolo Record gear levers are this bike's cat's meow. First off, there's a little history to this pair. It was originally gifted to me by @shnibop some years back; we used to pass stuff back and forth back then - I got the Italian tricolore tires from him, too. A number of years later, I'd still not decided on which build to use them for and he asked if he might get them back for his 3 Rensho build. Of course, I was happy to send them back. Now, I can't remember if I did the work or not, but when I got them back this time (trade bait for the Somec's curved levers), the casting lines down the sides were all filed neatly off. I added the blue infill paint to them in addition to the seatpost and crankarm flutes, brake levers and hub QR levers (I did those last night). Finally, years after the first time I had these levers in hand, they've ended up on a bike in my stable - and I still find them the coolest gear levers ever! Thanks, Alex

Also noted earlier, the rear triangle (and the wheel, too) were both about 1/8" out of whack to the non-drive side. I know this is small beer to a guy like @gugie, but it was not something I could fix myself, nor did I know of anyone I trusted locally. So, I drove down to the Atelier Friday to get it sorted. I drove down Thursday, too, but that's another story

It was a relief to get an all-clear from Mark and I felt good cabling up the derailleurs and brakes in my Troutdale hotel room that evening. Once I had the last cable-cap in place, I took it out to the hotel parking lot for a slow lap around to make sure it steered, shifted and braked correctly. It did. The next day would be the real test, and as it worked out, I got a chance to see how it performed over a variety of surfaces and elevation changes.

Because it does sound like it would be fun to ride Glacier National Park, but I don't trust my car to make the trip, I decided to do the next best thing and ride with @Andy_K along the Columbia Gorge Historic Scenic Highway and Trail. I always feel a bit wary before a ride I've never done before - particularly if there's climbing. We started off with overcast skies, but only got a tiny bit of drizzle here/there the whole time out on the bikes. Andy set a sensible pace down the hills and I followed along, feeling out the bike. This particular wheelset is old-school and has the typical high/low points along the brake track at the eyelets when braking from speed, so the braking is not as linear and smooth - or quiet! - as my other wheels with Mavic machined-sidewall rims. But the bike was stable and tracked perfectly. I felt I was sitting a little high, but I think I got that impression from the stem - it's much thinner in section than the Cinelli 1R. The real revelation, however, was the climbing ability I felt all day, no matter the grade (and we got sidetracked on a 10% for a bit). I stayed seated most of the time and only went to 23t once. I could feel the power transfer and it seemed to me it was much more direct than any of my other bikes. The feel overall of the frame is that it's new. The stability and tendency for it to keep a straight line while climbing was impressive and I put it down to that "new" feel (not flexing at the BB) and the width of the bars - I don't know the exact width, but they're wider than anything else I run.

Even with the Michelin 25s (which look more like 22s), the road irregularities were soaked up smoothly. We hit some crappy pavement, too. I wouldn't mind running this all day long on chip-sealed roads. If I went up to a true 25 I'm sure the ride would be all the more supple. I have a good position from the go, and at the end of the ride, while I did get a workout, I didn't feel overly tired or aching. In a true sense, the bike did a lot of the work for me, particularly on the uphill bits. I took it out yesterday on my local trail for a fast 25 miles to Redmond and back and I'm still evaluating that one. The handling seems somewhat slow (but in a good way if that makes sense) which again makes it feel like an all-day bike, and it spins up/maintains momentum well on the flat. It didn't beat me up on the couple rough bits I came across, and it felt like silk over the newly-paved sections of the trail. Overall it feels nimble but steady and is sure to be my top pick for a day with rough surfaces and climbing.

Thank you to @shnibop and @Andy Antipas for the gear levers and tires, @gugie for the fixin' and @Andy_K for the guided tour of the best, most scenic shakedown ride ever.

Also thanks to all who assisted in this and the other thread with identification. I think that should do it

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 08-14-19 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 05:27 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Indications of a crash would have actually been a bit more relaxing - crash damage means it was right once and thus can be righted. Conversely, something that looks that minty but off that much makes me worry about framebuilders having "off" days.

-Kurt
I see what you mean now - better to have something obvious like crash damage than the possibility the problem was "built in" on a Friday after too much grappa at lunch! Yeah, that would suck; this thing's been out of warranty for quite some time now

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-12-19, 05:32 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by shnibop
Wow! Another DD masterpiece. Absolutely love it! Understated but somehow still has a certain je ne sais quoi. Can’t quite place my finger on it. A fairly “standard” build up but something just makes it look extra special. Maybe it’s just me.
Thanks, Alex! The more I look at it, the more standard it seems to me, too. The dark blue highlights don't really take it too much further forward, there's not an iota of drillium - I mean, it's all stock with some personal, low-key flair. That's why the curved gear levers work; it takes an extra bit of looking to see them and then realize wow, that's cool!

At least, that's the way I see it; the Special Part that ties it all together

DD
Old 08-12-19, 05:37 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Excellent ride report!

Glad to hear the tires worked out.

Oh, and I dig those blue jockey wheels.
Old 08-12-19, 11:28 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by BFisher
Excellent ride report!

Glad to hear the tires worked out.

Oh, and I dig those blue jockey wheels.
Thanks for that - when I re-read my ride report, I thought it sounded a little vague. But it is hard to pin down exactly what the feeling of riding this bike was all about, other than to say it felt new, like it was almost unused. That's the impression. And, yeah, I agree with you about the blue Bullseye pulleys. I think they add to the contrasting blue theme nicely and help tie it all together. Plus, they won't crack like the original Campy jockey wheels

DD
Old 08-13-19, 06:46 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
She turned out very nicely Senior Chief, and thanks for the ride report, as well as reporting on Gugie's work to get things sorted out. Glad it has turned out so well being its your grail bike. Well done Sir, very well done..

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-13-19, 10:41 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
She turned out very nicely Senior Chief, and thanks for the ride report, as well as reporting on Gugie's work to get things sorted out. Glad it has turned out so well being its your grail bike. Well done Sir, very well done..

Bill
Thank you, Bill - I feel very fortunate to have been able to add this bike to my stable

DD
Old 08-20-19, 03:30 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

So, after a week straight riding anywhere from 20 to 50+ miles over a variety of terrain and road surfaces, the new bike has become the favorite bike. The bike's climbing stability stands out - I'm assuming this stability comes from the wider bar (42cm). When seated it just tracks in a nice, straight line up whatever I'm climbing, and is it smooth? Damn straight! Rolls over everything with no complaint. I so much want to take this on the Iron Horse Trial and test it out on gravel, but I don't want to cut up these wonderful tires. I may swap over the Paselas currently on the Casati and give it a go. Probably will - next week, after the Anacortes show.

I ended up going with basic black cotton bar tape. I actually liked the look of the medium blue Benotto tape, but the change came as a matter of necessity. I've already had two close-calls where my hand slipped on the bar (both times on the left side of the bar) and I almost went down; this was with gloves, too. Hit a small bump, my hand was resting on the palm on top of the bar when it slipped forward as a result of the bump. The second time I was changing my hand position and my hand slipped right off the end of the upper curve when I was reaching out for the brake hood. Two warnings were enough for this guy

Anyway, it's all matchy-matchy now:

It's funny, I've entertained thoughts of bringing my collection down to like 4 bikes or less as a result of riding around on this. Between it, the Casati (for thrashing 'round on any and all surfaces), the Colnago Mexico (serious fun and lots of sentimental value) and the Medici (perfect fit and geometry for all-day riding), my riding needs are pretty much taken care of.

For now, I'll keep 'em (save the Somec). However, this bike is telling me every single ride that less is more. Best $1000 I ever spent!

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 08-21-19 at 01:26 AM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-20-19, 04:53 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

I like the black cloth tape personally, just my own preference though. I wondered about slippage on the blue tape, that is why I stopped using plastic tape back in the mid-70s. Even with cork contemporary tape with my sweating heavily I can slip once the tape gets worn in a good bit. Glad the Bianchi has turned out so well for you Jeff, sounds like your stable is set for a while. Or..........?

Bill

Old 08-20-19, 06:15 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
Beautiful build Drillum Dude , love the blue accents . What about a pair of these ?

Also , was this factory or a custom bend ?

Old 08-20-19, 09:16 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by markwesti
Beautiful build Drillum Dude , love the blue accents . What about a pair of these ?

Also , was this factory or a custom bend ?

Thank you!

Lucky me I never got bit by the Cobalto bug - those replacements are costly. I had one kicking around years ago I passed to a buddy because he lost one, so I guess I've never had them in mind.

It's my understanding the gear levers are factory. I know that some people curved their flat steel QR levers, but I don't know how one would go about bending an alloy lever - especially without squashing the raised lettering. Plus, their curves match exactly.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 08-21-19 at 01:25 AM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-21-19, 12:37 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I like the black cloth tape personally, just my own preference though. I wondered about slippage on the blue tape, that is why I stopped using plastic tape back in the mid-70s. Even with cork contemporary tape with my sweating heavily I can slip once the tape gets worn in a good bit. Glad the Bianchi has turned out so well for you Jeff, sounds like your stable is set for a while. Or..........?

Bill
I agree - cloth tape for the win. I held out with cork tape on the gold Mexico (only because I didn't want to bother about it!) until just a few years ago, but the rest have been cloth for a long, long time now. And I'm set for all time, for sure. There is nothing else out there on my wish list now I've found my grail. Now I just want to break it in and ride it like it was meant to be ridden. Gonna have a lot of fun with this one

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-21-19, 12:17 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Thank you!

Lucky me I never got bit by the Cobalto bug - those replacements are costly. I had one kicking around years ago I passed to a buddy because he lost one, so I guess I've never had them in mind.

It's my understanding the gear levers are factory. I know that some people curved their flat steel QR levers, but I don't know how one would go about bending an alloy lever - especially without squashing the raised lettering. Plus, their curves match exactly.

DD
Seems like some wood forms in graduating curves could be employed with a vise without hurting the raised part.
Old 08-21-19, 12:49 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by merziac
Seems like some wood forms in graduating curves could be employed with a vise without hurting the raised part.
I don't know; I only know I wouldn't try it for fear of breaking them. Whether the curves originated in the factory or elsewhere matters little to me; I'm just happy they're a bit different

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-21-19, 02:40 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

@markwesti, aren't those Gran Sport calipers with Cobalto center nuts and gems? Nice looking items, great polishing job on them, and the lettering coloring is well done.

Bill

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 08-21-19, 05:19 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
@qcpsame I believe they are Grand Sport , and they do look nice , I think . They aren't mine though , it's a ebay ad . https://www.ebay.com/itm/Velobitz-Ca...53.m1438.l2649
Likes For markwesti:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.