Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to remove mudflap rivets on Planet Bike fenders?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-19, 03:48 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

The mudflap on front fender broke off after thousands of miles and getting kicked by my toe a few times (toe overlap).

I bought replacement mudflap from Planet Bike, and it comes with snap-on plastic "rivets." But to install the replacement, I first have to remove the steel rivets holding the husk of the original mudflap to the fender.

Is there any way to pop the original rivets apart (e.g., with a flathead screwdriver), or do I just need to use power tools (dremel or drill) to remove?
Pictures show rivets from both sides: on the inside of the fender where most of the mudflap broke off, and on the outside in an older photo.
Old 08-22-19, 03:54 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
You could grind off the mushroomed "flanges" of the rivets from inside the fender and push the remaining stubs out. It could also be drilled out from inside but might be difficult to keep the rivet from spinning with the drill bit. I think trying to pry the rivets apart would do more harm than the power tool approach.
Old 08-22-19, 04:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I second the power tool approach. I use a drill larger than the rivet and drill to the washer. Yes, the rivet spinning can ve an issue but it has never stopped me. I go #8 or #10 screws for the replacement. Now, I drill the rivets out on the fenders when new because every Planet Bike fender I've purchased has had a toy flap; nowhere near as deep as it should be. Install my homemade flaps with the screws so future replacement is easy.

Ben
Old 08-22-19, 04:10 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I'd grind off the flared section, as advised.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-22-19, 06:26 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll use a dremel or drill next time I'm in Seattle. Or maybe my fiance will do it before then.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I drill the rivets out on the fenders when new because every Planet Bike fender I've purchased has had a toy flap; nowhere near as deep as it should be. Install my homemade flaps with the screws so future replacement is easy.
Yeah Ben, the base-level Planet Bike "Hardcore" fenders have short mudflaps that don't accomplish much. I ordered a pair of mudflaps for the higher-model Cascadia fenders (pictured, with much longer mudflaps), and will install on the front of my bike (where mudflap broke off) and on front of my fiance's commuter (which has new fenders but could really use a longer mudflap for Seattle commuting. Rear less important since neither of these bikes get used in pacelines.