Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lezyne Mega XI - anyone using it?

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Lezyne Mega XI - anyone using it?

Old 07-30-19, 01:11 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
@Lezyne, for brevets that are longer than one day, the ride organizer usually posts a separate route to RWGPS for every day of the ride, so on a 1,00k it's common to have a ~400k route for the first day ~300k for the second day and ~300k for the third day. Sounds to me like you are confirming that it's not possible to load all three of those routes into the device and start the ride each morning without a phone or a computer, right?
Old 07-30-19, 04:46 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, 1990 Miyata 1000, 1987 Cannondale SR400 AKA Prairie Chicken, 2017 Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
@Lezyne Id love to know this too. Anything that could get around the transfer-route-from-phone-to-GPS problems would be a game changer.

I was unaware that I could even start navigating from the GPS. I could be mistaken but I dont think that was in the instructions.
Old 07-31-19, 12:42 PM
Lezyne
Official

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
@Lezyne, for brevets that are longer than one day, the ride organizer usually posts a separate route to RWGPS for every day of the ride, so on a 1,00k it's common to have a ~400k route for the first day ~300k for the second day and ~300k for the third day. Sounds to me like you are confirming that it's not possible to load all three of those routes into the device and start the ride each morning without a phone or a computer, right?
That's correct. You can only start the last "Saved Route" without any phone connection.

That said, as long as the routes are refreshed on your phone, you only need to select the route and press go (This can happen with or without a data connection). Once navigation has started, you can turn off your phone and store it, the GPS will continue navigation.

Originally Posted by samkl View Post
@Lezyne Id love to know this too. Anything that could get around the transfer-route-from-phone-to-GPS problems would be a game changer.

I was unaware that I could even start navigating from the GPS. I could be mistaken but I dont think that was in the instructions.
If you're still having issues, I would highly recommend contacting our customer service department. There are just so many variables when it comes to troubleshooting GPS devices/Phones that the best thing to do is to talk with somebody directly. Most of the issues we see are solved with firmware updates, but it's impossible to say exactly what's going on without knowing the full story.

As for the instructions, we're actually constantly working on new features and updates, so depending on when you got your device (or when the retailer received the device) it might not have been in there. For any other use questions, I usually refer people to the support site. We've spent a LONG time overhauling our customer service platform and are constantly adding new support articles, FAQ's etc. Obviously you won't get much in the way of user experience/reviews, but GPS devices are extremely complicated and there is A LOT of information there. Also, it's worth noting that our team really does enjoy answering questions beyond the generic response of "Our team will be happy to help." They're all cyclists too and it's always a win when they're able to clear up confusion or find a solution.
Old 07-31-19, 02:22 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, 1990 Miyata 1000, 1987 Cannondale SR400 AKA Prairie Chicken, 2017 Xootr Swift

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lezyne View Post
That's correct. You can only start the last "Saved Route" without any phone connection.

That said, as long as the routes are refreshed on your phone, you only need to select the route and press go (This can happen with or without a data connection). Once navigation has started, you can turn off your phone and store it, the GPS will continue navigation.

If you're still having issues, I would highly recommend contacting our customer service department. There are just so many variables when it comes to troubleshooting GPS devices/Phones that the best thing to do is to talk with somebody directly. Most of the issues we see are solved with firmware updates, but it's impossible to say exactly what's going on without knowing the full story.

As for the instructions, we're actually constantly working on new features and updates, so depending on when you got your device (or when the retailer received the device) it might not have been in there. For any other use questions, I usually refer people to the support site. We've spent a LONG time overhauling our customer service platform and are constantly adding new support articles, FAQ's etc. Obviously you won't get much in the way of user experience/reviews, but GPS devices are extremely complicated and there is A LOT of information there. Also, it's worth noting that our team really does enjoy answering questions beyond the generic response of "Our team will be happy to help." They're all cyclists too and it's always a win when they're able to clear up confusion or find a solution.
Thanks. I look forward to testing this all out this weekend.
Old 08-15-19, 10:56 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 10 Posts
I currently have a mini and a super. They have learning curves but most people just want to put it on and go without learning the whole process. I was guilty of that myself. Spent some time learning the process and now.....I have a mega to be delivered tomorrow. It's a solid product, we just have to make sure we do our part to make it work, if we don't understand the process it's honestly not fair to blame the product. I have the speed and cadence sensor as well as the heat rate monitor. All connect and work flawlessly.

I REALLY need to thin my herd by at least one...lol.

Last edited by mynewnchome; 08-15-19 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-15-19, 11:47 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 10 Posts
Good video about set up, no narration though and they go through some things fast.

Old 08-24-19, 01:39 AM
sumgy

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Problems with all Lezyne computers is that their mounts are flimsy and that the tabs on the back of the computer snap off.
The lack of options to mount a light under the mount has also previously annoyed me (not sure if they have fixed this yet, but for a company that makes great lights and a great computer to not have this option is just silly).

I went back to Garmin after having 2 Lezyne's snap off the tabs (yep, I know that Garmin snaps tabs too).
Old 08-25-19, 12:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3183 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by sumgy View Post
Problems with all Lezyne computers is that their mounts are flimsy and that the tabs on the back of the computer snap off.
The lack of options to mount a light under the mount has also previously annoyed me (not sure if they have fixed this yet, but for a company that makes great lights and a great computer to not have this option is just silly).

I went back to Garmin after having 2 Lezyne's snap off the tabs (yep, I know that Garmin snaps tabs too).
Good point on the light mount. When I got my superGPS, I thought the same thing.

As for the tabs...haven't noticed that. The tabs seem quite robust. And if it happens on Garmin too, it's really not an issue specific to one brand.