Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Free Water Source Along Routes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Free Water Source Along Routes

Old 08-24-19, 07:20 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
More importantly what are the sources for free beer along a route?
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-24-19, 09:01 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Ahkhira
I'm actually looking for a good Camelbak to use in the forest trails. Any recommendations?
I use them extensively. There are lots of good choices of hydration packs from both Camelbak and other companies. What you want depends on several factors. Do you do mostly short rides and only want to carry water? A Camelbak Rogue (85 oz) is a good choice. Do you do longer rides and need to carry stuff? A Camelbak M.U.L.E. is a good choice.

Osprey also makes a number of different packs. The Raptor 14 is similar in capacity to the Camelbak MULE. The Raptor 14 also has a clever bottom pocket for tools. Osprey packs have slightly better bladders in that they are top filling with a slide closure rather than a twist closure.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-24-19, 09:12 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Doesn't the added lead slow you down on climbs?
Nah, prevents knocking.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 08-24-19, 06:58 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Living on an island (Oahu) I pretty much have a handle on where I can get water wherever I go. Mostly parks and schools. With all the crap going on in schools I've cut back on those, but no one has stopped me yet (I don't go while school is in session, except at the local Uni). The uni actually has a fountain designed to refill water bottles (intended to discourage one-time use plastic bottled water).

scott s.
Old 08-25-19, 06:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
From yesterday's ride in Lehigh Gorge State Park. I will drink the water but not use the restroom unless absolutely desperate. It smells terrible. When it's hot you can smell the place as you ride by.

Old 08-25-19, 08:40 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
After reading a post about the homeless population using drinking fountains as showers, then seeing it happen in person, I pretty much cannot use a drinking fountain anywhere. Even those indoors. I developed a phobia overnight.

Gas stations with mini-marts work, though in 9 out of 10 cases I buy something rather than just ask for water. Grab a snack, ask if I can fill my bottles with ice water, I've never once been refused.

In moments of desperation, you can ask a dude out watering or mowing his grass. For the most part, people are decent. I've been out riding when it's far too hot to be riding, and random people have offered me bottles of water.

If you have frequent routes, start to build a mental database of friendly gas stations, convenience stores, and any other place you can grab some water or take shelter if need be.

One of the local credit unions has a coffee maker and filtered water right by the front door. I've gotten water there countless times. My LBS has a 5-gallon water dispenser in the back.

I have friends and family scattered all around the IE, and have stopped and gotten water out of the hose bib at numerous houses.
Be careful taking water from hoses as #1 many of them are connected to fertilizer dispensers and #2 the hose itself may have nasty chemicals leaching from it as most hoses are not designed or intended to be sources of drinking water.

Cheers
Old 08-25-19, 10:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by render ranger
This is simply not true.
I agree. My Camelbaks have water in them pretty much continuously throughout the year...i.e. they always have water in them... and they never have a problem. Water out of the tap is relatively sterile. We add chemicals to it to keep it that way and there not much in water for small beasties to live on.

Signed,

My first hydropack was the original Camelbak sleeve with those really thin straps that dug into your pits.
Yep. Remember those but not all that fondly. They are so much better now.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-25-19, 11:16 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Be careful taking water from hoses as #1 many of them are connected to fertilizer dispensers and #2 the hose itself may have nasty chemicals leaching from it as most hoses are not designed or intended to be sources of drinking water.

Cheers
That’s why I said hose bib and not hose— pretty much every hose you see at a home improvement store has a tag stating something along the lines of “don’t drink out of this.” Unscrew hose, full bottles, screw hose back on.
Old 08-26-19, 12:42 PM
phillman5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Free water

Originally Posted by Koyote
Free water is not a "right" in America.
Actually it kind of is. I think there is some sort of law that small cups of water are required to be free. But if you want a big cup, they can charge you the same as a soda. The 'cups' are one way they keep track of sales.
Old 08-26-19, 12:52 PM
phillman5

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mountain spring water

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Those who drink unfiltered water from natural springs are taking a huge risk.

Some won't believe me, others rely not having had a problem in the past
Count me in on this. I do think getting a drink down stream is more risky. I've never had a problem and the cool fresh spring water is very refreashing! I'll take some chances in life, this is one of them. My sons were appalled.
Old 08-26-19, 01:01 PM
phillman5

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some convenience stores around here will have a sign up by the soda machine that ice is 25 cents.

I ALWAYS ask first before taking water/ice.

On one of our routes my friend insists on getting water from the public fountain by the ranger station, its pretty horrible. I much prefer the Subway just around the corner.

On one of the mountain tops there is a small grocery store that puts out a pitcher of water for the cyclists, though they are one of the ones that charged 25 cents for ice. Their ice machine broke and they are making do with bags of ice in the old ice machine. On top of a much higher mountain there is a small deli, they won't give out tap water, I don't know why. Their refrigerator is broken so the bottled water is room temp, but they will give free ice.
Old 08-26-19, 01:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by phillman5
Actually it kind of is. I think there is some sort of law that small cups of water are required to be free. But if you want a big cup, they can charge you the same as a soda. The 'cups' are one way they keep track of sales.
I’ll happily read any evidence you provide, and acknowledge if I have made an error. But without providing a citation to the alleged law, this post is pretty meaningless.

Last edited by Koyote; 08-26-19 at 07:00 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-26-19, 01:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Nah, prevents knocking.
Now this was truly funny. Thank you.

-Tim-
Old 08-26-19, 01:19 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Count me in on this. I do think getting a drink down stream is more risky. I've never had a problem and the cool fresh spring water is very refreashing! I'll take some chances in life, this is one of them. My sons were appalled.
Everyone is free to do what they want but please read post 51.

You may also want to borrow or pick up a used copy of "How to **** in the Woods." It is a very simple, easy read but an eye opener re the state of our waterways and why we should filter.

-Tim-
Old 08-26-19, 02:09 PM
indyfabz

You may also want to borrow or pick up a used copy of "How to **** in the Woods." It is a very simple, easy read but an eye opener re the state of our waterways and why we should filter.
Have you read about the tons of poop that could be released from Mt. McKinley?:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ali-180971852/
Old 08-26-19, 03:02 PM
phillman5

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I’ll happily read any evidence you provide, and acknowledge if I have made an error. But without providing a citation to the alleged law, this post is pretty meaningless.
Google it. It does very country to country, and state to state.

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...uest-tap-water

has a good run down for several countries. Those that are required seem to be for paying customers and those that serve alcohol.

https://www.******.com/r/toronto/com..._to_serve_you/ but this is for Toronto, so this could be legislated city-by-city.
Old 08-26-19, 03:09 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Now this was truly funny. Thank you.

-Tim-
Yes, well, I just wonder how many of these here millennial whippersnappers ever even heard of engine knock.* Why, back in my day...

Errrrr. Never Mind.

*I will post a gloat that may not go over well in a bike forum, but my first two cars were a 59' T-bird, and a 67' GTO. The latter really did better with Ethyl. Which is a chemical they put in gas, Millennials!
Old 08-26-19, 04:09 PM
Koyote

Google it. It does very country to country, and state to state.

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...uest-tap-water

has a good run down for several countries. Those that are required seem to be for paying customers and those that serve alcohol.

https://www.******.com/r/toronto/com..._to_serve_you/ but this is for Toronto, so this could be legislated city-by-city.
It's on you to "google it" and provide support for your own assertions...And you have provided none. Nothing in those links indicate that anyone has to provide free water -- to cyclists or to anyone else.

It may be that the current occupant of the White House has exhausted my tolerance for this sort of thing...But I really don't understand how people make assertions without checking (or seemingly caring to check) on their veracity. The "information revolution," which puts so much info at our fingertips, seems to have been for naught.

Last edited by Koyote; 08-26-19 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 04:59 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I read somewhere a while ago that in the UK if you're a restaurant / a bar ... if someone comes in and asks for a glass of water you legally have to give them one for free (and I think to their horse as well) ... I believe it goes back to old law that someone could of been travelling by horse on a long journey and need water just to survive.

I've never put it to the test though ... as others have said I've gone in and bought something like an energy bar / sweets and asked if there's any chance of some tap water as well.
Old 08-26-19, 05:31 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
I read somewhere a while ago that in the UK if you're a restaurant / a bar ... if someone comes in and asks for a glass of water you legally have to give them one for free (and I think to their horse as well) ... I believe it goes back to old law that someone could of been travelling by horse on a long journey and need water just to survive..
In the same vein, I remember in the early 1970s in Detroit there was a minor controversy one year when the rules around water and restaurants were changed. I remember that suddenly restaurants were allowed to charge for a glass of water. I remember once being dinged for a nickel for one glass. Beyond that, my memory is honestly fuzzy on the details.
Old 08-26-19, 06:52 PM
phillman5

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
.But I really don't understand how people make assertions without checking (or seemingly caring) to check on their veracity.
Read my original post, I said "I *think* there is some sort of law that small cups of water are required to be free." I wasn't asserting that was true, I was leaving it up to the reader to confirm.

You must be a lawyer.
Old 08-26-19, 06:59 PM
Koyote

Read my original post, I said "I *think* there is some sort of law that small cups of water are required to be free." I wasn't asserting that was true, I was leaving it up to the reader to confirm.

You must be a lawyer.
If you really think it works that way, then I heard that Elvis, Bigfoot, and JFK are all alive and living together on an island in the South Pacific. Please confirm.
Old 08-27-19, 07:24 AM
indyfabz

Bigfoot lives in Yaak, MT.

Old 08-27-19, 08:39 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Ahkhira
I'm actually looking for a good Camelbak to use in the forest trails. Any recommendations?
Get a Geigerrig as they are easier to fill, clean, and are pressurized by a hand bulb. I have the 1600 model, but they make bigger ones.

now to the original question of free water - I will fill up with ice and water at a mini-mart soda fountain, but often I will fill the bottle with ice at the fountain and then buy the water and a snack from that mini-mart so that they welcome me back the next time I stop there for ice.
Old 08-27-19, 03:31 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
In the same vein, I remember in the early 1970s in Detroit there was a minor controversy one year when the rules around water and restaurants were changed. I remember that suddenly restaurants were allowed to charge for a glass of water. I remember once being dinged for a nickel for one glass. Beyond that, my memory is honestly fuzzy on the details.
The Subway in the next town over now charges 40 cents for a cup of water. Makes it almost worth it to buy a drink instead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.