Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

10 items or less enforcement

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

10 items or less enforcement

Old 08-24-19, 01:36 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
They are also sold by the commodity's price, not just value. If all apples were the same then the value would only be based on weight.

Some cost more as a variety than others. Fujis and honeycrisps are more expensive than Red Delicious and Granny Smith.

There fore if you lump them together in a self-checkout you are basically committing a fraud. Shoplifting.

This is one reason self-service checkouts are going away, other than customer confusion. Having worked at a grocery store I would prefer having it done by a checker. My late dad ran service stations in Oregon when self-service was still illegal. I preferred not to smell like gasoline when I was driving.
First, self-checkout is monitored. And second, I'm pretty sure I just said all that. ^^
Old 08-24-19, 04:26 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6682 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 86 Posts
Blood oranges, mandarin oranges, navel oranges, and valencia oranges... all the same too, right?
Old 08-24-19, 07:06 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
First, self-checkout is monitored. And second, I'm pretty sure I just said all that. ^^
Somebody has to make wages, I haven't worked at a grocery store since 1991 and I worked in the bottle return room sorting refund cans and bottles. They use machines for that now, it wasn't a very good job to start with but 30 years ago it was manual labor.

If self-checkout is monitored (and we had such a place) then how is that accomplishing anything? Yes, somebody was watching who could help. Let them do the entire job.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Old 08-24-19, 07:19 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Somebody has to make wages, I haven't worked at a grocery store since 1991 and I worked in the bottle return room sorting refund cans and bottles. They use machines for that now, it wasn't a very good job to start with but 30 years ago it was manual labor.

If self-checkout is monitored (and we had such a place) then how is that accomplishing anything? Yes, somebody was watching who could help. Let them do the entire job.
At my local store, one person monitors 6 self-checkout stations.
I'm pretty sure 1 < 6.
Old 08-24-19, 07:25 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

The last place I saw a self-checkout stand was Home Depot. Since I have no idea about half the stuff I would need to do there I get most of my hardware from the True Value or Ace.

Old 08-24-19, 12:23 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
At my local store, one person monitors 6 self-checkout stations.
I'm pretty sure 1 < 6.
This^^

But its actually 8 at my Ralphs. I've seen others, go up to 10.
Old 08-24-19, 02:51 PM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I had 10 cases of 30 pack Keystone Light in the 10 items line and the cashier said that is 300 items you are in the wrong line. I was ok about it no big deal. The manager came over and said in Hondo Texas that ainít enough beer for that bar b q you should be ashamed. So I got and eleventh 30 pack and went to the regular line and I was no longer embarrassed and ashamed
I would be embarrassed to buy a six pack of that!
Old 08-24-19, 03:13 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 178 Posts
Buying 30 at a time minimizes the shame potential. You have 1/5th the chance of running into someone you know who you would prefer not see you buying rotgut beer, while you're standing in line to buy said Keystone, than if you bought it one six pack at a time. And if they ask, give them the old "throwing a party next weekend, LOL" excuse.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 08-24-19 at 03:20 PM.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 08-24-19, 08:23 PM
Hondo Gravel
The water is on fire

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
yup it is horrible beer we call it water beer but when the temps are 100+ it is what you drink. But here it is the official beer of Medina County Texas itís cheap and plentiful and always on sale.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 08-24-19, 08:31 PM
Hondo Gravel
The water is on fire

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
Buying 30 at a time minimizes the shame potential. You have 1/5th the chance of running into someone you know who you would prefer not see you buying rotgut beer, while you're standing in line to buy said Keystone, than if you bought it one six pack at a time. And if they ask, give them the old "throwing a party next weekend, LOL" excuse.
The old Germans drank this stuff for years down here but the San Antonio brewery closed in 2001 but I see it still exists now talk about rot gut.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/p...oz-cans/166274
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 08-25-19, 09:25 AM
no motor?

yup it is horrible beer we call it water beer but when the temps are 100+ it is what you drink. But here it is the official beer of Medina County Texas itís cheap and plentiful and always on sale.
Up here in yankeeland it's the beer the hard core alcoholics drink in the trailer park.
Old 08-25-19, 09:56 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

The old Germans drank this stuff for years down here but the San Antonio brewery closed in 2001 but I see it still exists now talk about rot gut.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/p...oz-cans/166274
I think David Allan Coe's mean drunk dad drank Pearl from a can while he worked on old junk cars in the yard. I like how they actually use "clean water", who'd have ever that THAT would make a difference?

That HEB has some pretty decent shopping, loved that store when I lived in Texas, they're an institution there, it was like a low rent Whole Foods.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 08-25-19, 12:51 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Up here in yankeeland it's the beer the hard core alcoholics drink in the trailer park.
I dated one for too long and unfortunately it's Olde English '800' or Hamms Big Bear, both 40 oz.

Old 08-25-19, 02:40 PM
FiftySix
where's the gas tank?

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn Willy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 136 Posts
Like Honda Gravel alludes to, when it's really hot outside all the time it's easier to drink what I call "alcoholic gatorade" than drink heavy malted heavy hopped beer.

Yesterday I was involved in a heavy equipment move all day at a customer's shop. I was hot, dirty, and tired. So I picked up some Colorado Gatorade on the way home, aka Coors Light.

"Thick" beer is for cool weather (or AC drinkin') and it ain't cool weather here yet.
Old 08-25-19, 02:43 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
Yesterday I was involved in a heavy equipment move all day at a customer's shop. I was hot, dirty, and tired. So I picked up some Colorado Gatorade on the way home, aka Coors Light.
Old 08-25-19, 03:21 PM
KraneXL

Why are you people touting beer as quenching your thirst? Beer is dehydrating. Also, what happened to 10 items or fewer?
Old 08-25-19, 03:25 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

One package equals one item...

Old 08-25-19, 04:40 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Why are you people touting beer as quenching your thirst? Beer is dehydrating. Also, what happened to 10 items or fewer?
Wait, it can do both. It quenches your thirst, and then it dehydrates you.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 08-25-19, 05:22 PM
FiftySix
where's the gas tank?

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn Willy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 136 Posts
Hey now, I drank warm water all day long so it was time for some cold, buzz inducing dehydration!

By the way, it's 10 items or fooer.
Old 08-25-19, 06:17 PM
no motor?

Like Honda Gravel alludes to, when it's really hot outside all the time it's easier to drink what I call "alcoholic gatorade" than drink heavy malted heavy hopped beer.

"Thick" beer is for cool weather (or AC drinkin') and it ain't cool weather here yet.
i like Mike's Hard Lemonade then. It's one of the better parts of summer.
Likes For no motor?:
Old 08-25-19, 07:50 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Hondo wins this battle. Excellent job.

Old 08-26-19, 02:02 PM
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 7004 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Shame sometimes works. If the person in front of me has more than X items, I'll look at their basket or the groceries on the belt, look at them until they notice me glaring at them, look up at the express sign, look back at their groceries, and then start staring at them again. The excuses I've heard... The cashiers love it, because of course they really can't do anything about it.
Old 08-26-19, 03:48 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 1990s MTBs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah, first world problems. So what? It can be fun to gripe on internet forums about semi-serious stuff.

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
I don't know why these damned stores don't just hire more checkers. But every large store I go into, be it department store or grocery store, always has 10 employees wandering around the store doing absolutely nothing, for each checkout clerk they have on duty.
Especially Home Depot on the weekends!

I get it; that's a hard job and they're on their feet all day dealing with customers and loading stuff and stocking shelves and on and on and on.

But so often I try to buy something and there's ONE (1) cash register line open that's manned by an actual human being but seven employees smokin' and jokin' back in the lumber department or outside in the garden department.

Forget the self-checkout at HD. They work okay at the grocery story but HD's scanners seem to always require employee intervention before you can pay and get outta there, and that employee is always helping the others customers whose items won't scan either.
Old 08-27-19, 03:56 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 73 Posts
Hey now, if you put different varieties of apples in the apple bag, and different varieties of oranges in the orange bag, and you glue organic bananas into the bunch of regular bananas, well . . . that's just trickeration.
reminds me of the story of a kid who went to a super walmart or something, grabbed a playstation box, put it in a produce bag, and put a twistie on it with bulk item ID number on it, tried to get away with buying a video console for $2.99/lb or whatever.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 08-27-19, 04:00 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 73 Posts
Here's my deal; when I go to Costco, as I shop I arrange everything in my cart so barcodes are on top, and all visible (none covered by other items). At checkout I put 1 item on the belt just so I have a reason to use a divider, the checker uses the gun to scan the cart bip bip bip bip in like 5 seconds, and I am out of there lickety split. No wasted time taking things out of the cart, putting things back in the cart.

The checker usually comments on how that's so convenient, so fast, such a good idea. I tell them Costco should make a no-belt, all-barcodes-visible express lane, but I don't think it'll ever happen. Realistically they'd (still) need two employees -- one to work the gun, one to police the line and kick people out if their cart is not up to snuff. But they'd get people through MORE than twice as quick.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.