Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

High Speed Rail: what do other know that we don't?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

High Speed Rail: what do other know that we don't?

Old 05-12-19, 09:50 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
You have to share roads and highways with other cars when you drive.

You have to share planes with other passengers when you fly.

The difference with trains and buses is that you can stand up and use the bathroom without pulling off the road. Flying would be fine if it didn't burn so much fuel and make so much noise and fill up the skies with traffic.

Trains would ultimately be better, but there's just no way to stop them from becoming cancelled projects that ultimately served no other purpose than to put money in people's pockets to spend on driving.

Somehow buses have to evolve as a bridge between flying and trains, but it's a huge cultural challenge for people who just can't understand the limitations of air-travel and driving because that's what they see as normal and thus accept uncritically.
I think I wrote it elsewhere, but I spent a lot of time in buses in my young adulthood for about two years straight. City buses and intercity buses. Gawd dang they take a long time to get anywhere.

I'd walk to the city bus stop to take the city bus to get me near the intercity bus station. Ride that intercity bus until my stop, which may be in some downtown or on the side of a highway. Sometimes I could share a taxi to get me close to my destination, but that was rare when the intercity bus would drop you off in the middle of nowhere after 12am.

Plus, you get to hang out with some real weird people on buses. At least on planes, most weird people keep their mouths shut. In bus stations or on buses, OMG the things people will do and say.

My oldest kid (28) and my wife have lots of experience on intercity buses, too. In all cases we took those buses because we couldn't afford anything better at those times.

Not counting charter buses or park and ride buses, city buses and intercity buses are for people that don't want to spend much money on transportation. I don't see buses in the USA becoming express buses unless they have their own roadway. Might as well have high speed trains with their own railway.

Last edited by FiftySix; 05-12-19 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 02:42 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Not true...people are compensated. But the process is much easier than US. Becuase in US, a small hand full of people can derail an effort. This is what is known as tyranny of the minority. Society does not live up to its potential because a small hand full of people refusing to accept progress.
Absolutely. And that is evident in no greater area than the medical/pharmaceutical industry. Look how many years it took before cannabis became legal because a small group stymied the system. It was even illegal for scientist and doctors to test it for any medical application. How can you declare its all bad if nobody every tested it?

There are many other remedies and possible cure that are being artificially held back because there's too much money to be made selling people alternative drugs that merely mask the symptoms. The entire medical industry works under that paradigm, with very little incentive to advance forward.

There are many others, but its petroleum that is number one on this list. Since it is unlikely a HSR system would be powered by fossil fuel (most certainly not directly), that's the industry that stands to lose the most if the system were ever implemented. Look there if you want to find where the true resistance originates.
Old 05-14-19, 02:42 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Not true...people are compensated. But the process is much easier than US. Becuase in US, a small hand full of people can derail an effort. This is what is known as tyranny of the minority. Society does not live up to its potential because a small hand full of people refusing to accept progress.
Ah, but to some people society's fullest potential is for everyone to drive and pay car-payments, insurance, etc.; so for those people, investing in rail projects that fail or only provide very limited and/or expensive service is a great way to stimulate more people to buy/drive cars and then provide more jobs to pay for those cars.
Old 05-15-19, 08:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Some people seem to be overwhelmed by their own fantasies and conspiracy theories.

Nobody will be listening if and when an actual good idea does emerge from an endless static of murky, quirky and irrational "critical thoughts".
Old 05-15-19, 09:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
USA prefers military spending not civilian infrastructure.. as the budget demonstrates...
Old 05-15-19, 07:40 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by fietsbob
USA prefers military spending not civilian infrastructure.. as the budget demonstrates...
And yet you keep electing the same people? When will you learn?
Old 05-16-19, 07:18 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
And yet you keep electing the same people? When will you learn?
Are you saying you don't vote?

I tell you I think voting in America these days is just to make us think we are making a difference. It's pobably been that way a long time, though.

I've been voting since the mid 1980s and no matter if the person I voted for gained office or not, government proceeded with its own will, not mine.

I have the appearance of a citizen, but in reality I'm just a subject.
Old 05-16-19, 09:13 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Are you saying you don't vote?

I tell you I think voting in America these days is just to make us think we are making a difference. It's pobably been that way a long time, though.

I've been voting since the mid 1980s and no matter if the person I voted for gained office or not, government proceeded with its own will, not mine.

I have the appearance of a citizen, but in reality I'm just a subject.
First access your database internet humor. And second, democrat vs republican? Sound familiar? Have you considered maybe its time for a new paradigm? Even if you don't know what that is, you should at least know by now which sides aren't giving you what you want.
Old 05-16-19, 09:42 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
1. USA should definitely develop HSR. Long past due. Time was (a long time ago), rail opened up The West. It's still a key shipping modality.

2. However, there are forces working against. Established investments in auto/roads. Extremists on both ends -- you'll get squawking from both lefty environmentalists and righty individualists. Including cyclists -- imagine the uproar when everyone's favorite rail-trail is up for closure for conversion back to rail use. The fact that most rail rights of ways have been reverted. Ford recently said they are not a car company, but a transportation company. That's a move in the right direction -- if rail is ever going to pick up steam, it's going to need financial incentive to do so.

3. Texas is way too big, east-west. One of the first HSR routes I'd run if I were King would be Jacksonville FL to San Diego CA, along I-10. For those without a sense of scale, map the distance from Jacksonville to Houston, and then from Houston to San Diego...

4. The problem isn't roads and traffic, it's drivers. Over in P&R, there's a thread about an Exxon study from 1982 which tracks the increase in atmospheric CO2 fairly accurately. I checked, and world population went from 4.6billion in 1982 to 7.7billion today. The problem is people. If we don't rein in population and scale it back to sustainable levels, it will be done for/to us...
Old 05-16-19, 12:08 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
1. USA should definitely develop HSR. Long past due. Time was (a long time ago), rail opened up The West. It's still a key shipping modality.

2. However, there are forces working against. Established investments in auto/roads. Extremists on both ends -- you'll get squawking from both lefty environmentalists and righty individualists. Including cyclists -- imagine the uproar when everyone's favorite rail-trail is up for closure for conversion back to rail use. The fact that most rail rights of ways have been reverted. Ford recently said they are not a car company, but a transportation company. That's a move in the right direction -- if rail is ever going to pick up steam, it's going to need financial incentive to do so.

3. Texas is way too big, east-west. One of the first HSR routes I'd run if I were King would be Jacksonville FL to San Diego CA, along I-10. For those without a sense of scale, map the distance from Jacksonville to Houston, and then from Houston to San Diego...

4. The problem isn't roads and traffic, it's drivers. Over in P&R, there's a thread about an Exxon study from 1982 which tracks the increase in atmospheric CO2 fairly accurately. I checked, and world population went from 4.6billion in 1982 to 7.7billion today. The problem is people. If we don't rein in population and scale it back to sustainable levels, it will be done for/to us...
Mostly I tend to agree. Not sure HSR can compete with air travel from Houston to San Diego but I do know the drive can be a long one. I drove from Palm Springs to Fort Hood when my son was stationed there and it took days not hours. But my son warned me that when I got to El Paso I was only halfway there. But at least you could draft a Semi truck at over 80 mph at night for miles and miles.

For those of of us on the West coast there is no bang for the buck in a HSR from Merced to Bakersfield. Not at more than 77 billion in unfunded grants. At least it doesn’t impress me having been to both cities.

If it can be funded privately I wouldn’t care because people should be able to spend their money however they want. I don’t see building something the tax payers will not support.

The last part is spot on however. We simply lack the ability to support run away population. That makes HSR just a regional issue and not a solution for world wide sustainability. In my point of view. Much like the article I posted in market watch. We are attacking the symptoms not the cause.
Old 05-16-19, 12:09 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
First access your database internet humor. And second, democrat vs republican? Sound familiar? Have you considered maybe its time for a new paradigm? Even if you don't know what that is, you should at least know by now which sides aren't giving you what you want.
Didn't turn on my internet humor due to lack of emoticons or fake html tags declaring [/sarcasm], etc.
Old 05-16-19, 05:39 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
You might have a better point than you imagine. A space station or Biosphere is something they can and do have. And what is the catch to how sustainable those two examples are? The number of people in them. Increase the number by 25 percent and is a biosphere still sustainable? Notice it isn’t a transportation issue that endangers sustainability? It is the number that live there. Why? Because it is a closed system. The earth is a closed system. Google maximum sustainable human population. See if building an HSR changes that?

Making a point for HSR against planes is one thing. Trying to add sustainability to the argument is not going to prove we need HSR. Once again my opinion based on population studies.
You're missing my point about the space station. If humans can live sustainably on a space station, then there is no limit to population growth on Earth. A space station is a self-contained system that doesn't affect anything outside of it.

What you don't like about population growth is density. You have a preference for less people to share more space, but it's not a natural limit to population growth and sustainability; just a subjective preference to have less people in an area instead of more.

You want to have less people because you want the freedom to drive.

So basically you're whole population limits argument comes down to you not wanting to give up driving.

That explains why you come on a car-free forum to argue with people who are for reducing driving, pavement, and sprawl and the unsustainability that comes with them.
Old 05-16-19, 06:44 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
You're missing my point about the space station. If humans can live sustainably on a space station, then there is no limit to population growth on Earth. A space station is a self-contained system that doesn't affect anything outside of it.

What you don't like about population growth is density. You have a preference for less people to share more space, but it's not a natural limit to population growth and sustainability; just a subjective preference to have less people in an area instead of more.

So basically you're whole population limits argument comes down to you not wanting to give up driving.

That explains why you come on a car-free forum to argue with people who are for reducing driving, pavement, and sprawl and the unsustainability that comes with them.
No I came here to learn how people deal with being car free only to find most are car free like people that give up smoking only to bum cigarettes from others.

I say again, what happens when you add 25 percent more people to a space station already supporting 100 people? They are no longer sustainable. You have to increase supply to feed and water that many people. Maybe if you would have experienced being on a long cruise on a ship with enough water and food for the journey a
only to pick up extra people in the doldrums. I know you don’t know but take a guess.
Old 05-16-19, 11:22 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I've waited for many a train in this town, it's normal when Heinz Ore-Ida Foods is nearby.
Old 05-16-19, 11:34 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Rollfast
I've waited for many a train in this town, it's normal when Heinz Ore-Ida Foods is nearby.
Good news. With HSR you barely have to wait at all.
Old 05-17-19, 12:28 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Union Pacific is picking up your tater tots and onions, the wait is worth it.
Old 05-18-19, 07:22 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
No I came here to learn how people deal with being car free only to find most are car free like people that give up smoking only to bum cigarettes from others.
This is your main tactic for discouraging LCF, i.e. convince people that 'car-free' is a status and that they can only achieve it if they remain completely pure. It's like a guy who tries to talk a woman out of staying faithful to her husband by convincing her that everybody cheats, at least in their thoughts.

I say again, what happens when you add 25 percent more people to a space station already supporting 100 people? They are no longer sustainable. You have to increase supply to feed and water that many people. Maybe if you would have experienced being on a long cruise on a ship with enough water and food for the journey a
only to pick up extra people in the doldrums. I know you don’t know but take a guess.
Yes, and what happens when you take a functioning planet covered in whatever living organisms grow naturally and start systematically clearing away forested land and other natural ecology to pave sprawling networks of corridors and buildings that dry up the air and land, decimate animal populations, and convert all the sedimented carbon into atmospheric CO2?

You don't think that impairs the ability of the system to sustain life permanently? You don't think it reduces the number of humans and other organisms that can live sustainably?

Think of it in terms of two space-stations. In one station, tons of machines and robots are employed and take up much of the space and use much of the energy and other resources. In the other, there are less machines and robots because humans use their own manual labor more diligently to manage their resources and avoid wasting space. Which space station is more human-friendly?
Old 05-18-19, 07:43 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts

Mods, I request this discussion be moved to the "Car-Free Life Aboard Yet-To-Be-Built Space Stations" subfora.
Old 05-18-19, 08:06 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Mods, I request this discussion be moved to the "Car-Free Life Aboard Yet-To-Be-Built Space Stations" subfora.
To the extent people LCF within sprawling autocentric (sub)urban cities, they basically already live aboard space stations, only the space stations have been built on Earth because it's easier than moving all the pavement, steel, and other materials up into orbit.
Old 05-18-19, 09:39 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
If humans can live sustainably on a space station, then there is no limit to population growth on Earth. A space station is a self-contained system that doesn't affect anything outside of it.
We're many decades (maybe centuries) from living sustainably on a space station.
Old 05-18-19, 10:59 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by tyrion
We're many decades (maybe centuries) from living sustainably on a space station.
It's funny how it's possible to speak to a tangent in a way that further diverts a discussion from the relevant sequence of thoughts that led up to the tangent.

Maybe you should start a thread on sustainable space stations and whether they would be more or less sustainable with everyone driving or getting around by other means.
Old 05-18-19, 11:03 AM
tyrion

It's funny how it's possible to speak to a tangent in a way that further diverts a discussion from the relevant sequence of thoughts that led up to the tangent.

Maybe you should start a thread on sustainable space stations and whether they would be more or less sustainable with everyone driving or getting around by other means.
You posed a hypothetical and I pointed out how far from reality it was. If that triggers you, you're on the wrong internet.
Old 05-18-19, 11:04 AM
pedex
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts

temporarily self contained but not sustainable on its own.......it requires frequent and constant resupply and maintenance provided by the industrial economy that put it into orbit to begin with
Old 05-18-19, 12:03 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by tyrion
You posed a hypothetical and I pointed out how far from reality it was. If that triggers you, you're on the wrong internet.
It didn't trigger me. I just found it funny that I used the space station example to make a point about how M155 thinks, and you took it as a launch point for a tangent about space stations. The really funny thing is that I would not mind discussing space stations and sustainability, but if I engaged in that conversation with you here, it would not only take the thread in a tangential direction, but the mods would end up moving it to P&R or foo and we wouldn't be able to discuss HSR except by starting a new thread.

Idk if you are just wanting to cause the thread to get flushed away for some reason, or if you are just innocently wanting to discuss space stations.

Originally Posted by pedex
temporarily self contained but not sustainable on its own.......it requires frequent and constant resupply and maintenance provided by the industrial economy that put it into orbit to begin with
I would start a new thread about space stations and post a link here, but I don't think the mods would accept it as an appropriate topic for LCF. I could be wrong, of course.
Old 05-18-19, 12:13 PM
tyrion

Idk if you are just wanting to cause the thread to get flushed away for some reason, or if you are just innocently wanting to discuss space stations.
Neither. I'm pointing out the problems with this statement:

If humans can live sustainably on a space station, then there is no limit to population growth on Earth.
Humans can't live sustainably on a space station, and there is a practical limit to population growth on Earth.
Likes For tyrion:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.