Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Terry Symmetry or Trey?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Terry Symmetry or Trey?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-19, 12:09 PM
suttonjp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Terry Symmetry or Trey?

I'm going to look at a bike this evening that is listed as a "Terry 21 speed bicycle" for $25. It looks to be in good shape and if it's really a Terry Symmetry, it's a steal at $25. However, the decal doesn't say TERRY it says TREY. Has anyone seen this before? Is there some other marking on a Terry that I can look at to tell me if this bike is legit? Thanks.

Old 08-15-19, 12:28 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Well it does have a 24" (?) front wheel, which suggests it's the "real deal" with a bad counterfeit panel.

Georgena has a blog on her web site, and she appears to be engaged and interested in what has become of the bikes that bear her name, both handmade and factory. Might be worth shooting her this pic to get her take on it.
Old 08-15-19, 12:36 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Trey was Terry's brother. They didn't get along so they made separate bike lines.

I made that up.
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 08-15-19, 12:53 PM
suttonjp

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Well it does have a 24" (?) front wheel, which suggests it's the "real deal" with a bad counterfeit panel.

Georgena has a blog on her web site, and she appears to be engaged and interested in what has become of the bikes that bear her name, both handmade and factory. Might be worth shooting her this pic to get her take on it.
Great idea, Thanks! I sent an email and will follow-up with what I find out.
Old 08-15-19, 01:24 PM
suttonjp

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I got a reply back from Georgena Terry and she confirmed it's a Terry. So, I contacted the seller to arrange to look at the bike and he said, "You may have noticed it says Trey on the bike. That's my son's name." LOL. They personalized the bike for their son. I think that's cool, but hope the decal comes off without much trouble. I'll be picking it up in an hour for an easy $25.
Old 08-15-19, 01:38 PM
madpogue 

Not the way I would personalize such a bike, but then again, that's why it's called "personalized"....

Predicting Georgena would/will facepalm if/when she gets wind of the price. And dang, I thought the one down in Beloit for $50 was a good deal....
Old 08-15-19, 03:38 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
Looking forward to pix!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-15-19, 06:27 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Wow, that is a steal. I don't think the low asking price is an indicator of the real value of this bike. I am guessing that the seller is motivated to get it sold. A bike with one 24" wheel and one "normal" wheel may be viewed by many that don't know better as an odd ball bike. Little do they know.
Old 08-15-19, 07:04 PM
suttonjp

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I picked up the Georgena Terry Symmetry this afternoon. The bike was definitely well used, but also seems to have been well cared for. It’s in really good condition and will clean up nicely. Definitely worth what I gave for it, and more. I’m not sure what year it is and no idea what is original to the bike.

It has an odd mixture of Shimano components; Exage 500 LX rear derailleur, Mountain LT front derailleur and cranks, Exage hubs, 105 brake calipers, Biopace chain ring, Exage sport light action shifters (the rear is index, front is friction), Edge pedals, and Araya rims (24” on front and 700c on the rear). The bike is an XXS frame size.

My daughter took it for a spin before I removed the custom label and cleaned it up. She thinks it’s a keeper.

Georgena Terry Symmetry

It’s a keeper!
Old 08-15-19, 08:58 PM
madpogue 

Odd mix indeed, esp. the turkey levers WITH hooded levers. Index rear only was not uncommon BITD, because most road fronts were doubles. This one looks like a half-step with a granny. I guess that also explains the long-ish cage RD.

Second pic shows the very definition of a happy kid. Appears to be an excellent fit. Can I ask - how tall is she? And can you measure the seat tube C-to-C? I have an old Lotus of similar dimension, and trying to get a ball park on what size person it'll fit.

Good to hear the custom panel came off and left the original unscathed.

I'd send Georgena an update; she could probably nail the year for you.
Old 08-15-19, 09:52 PM
suttonjp

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Second pic shows the very definition of a happy kid. Appears to be an excellent fit. Can I ask - how tall is she? And can you measure the seat tube C-to-C? I have an old Lotus of similar dimension, and trying to get a ball park on what size person it'll fit.

I'd send Georgena an update; she could probably nail the year for you.
Sure, I thought she was 4’11”, but turns out she exactly 5 ft. tall. The seat tube is 42 cm. (16.5”)
Old 08-15-19, 10:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by suttonjp
I got a reply back from Georgena Terry and she confirmed it's a Terry. So, I contacted the seller to arrange to look at the bike and he said, "You may have noticed it says Trey on the bike. That's my son's name." LOL. They personalized the bike for their son. I think that's cool, but hope the decal comes off without much trouble. I'll be picking it up in an hour for an easy $25.
Now that's cool. If it were to be my bike, it wold stay "Trey". There are a lot more Terrys out there than Treys!

Ben
Old 08-15-19, 10:34 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Well that is an awesome deal. Terry were way ahead of their time in actually sizing bikes to fit people. Worth at least 20x what you paid IMO.

Do run the numbers on the gearing. I distinctly remember they used to screw up half step gearing so that all of the gears in the two big chainrings were duplicates. Worst case, you buy one new chainring.