Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Would like help identifying model, year and value of a vintage Tommaso road bike

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Would like help identifying model, year and value of a vintage Tommaso road bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-19, 05:28 PM
trayfer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I would like help identifying model / year and value of a vintage Tommaso road bike. I don't know much about these and have a neighbor that's bugging the daylights out of me to buy it. I wouldn't mind selling it but don't know enough about it to put a fair value on it in its present state. Any road bike enthusiasts that has seen it has told me that its a sweet bike. It had a matching yellow campy pump which I have misplaced but is hiding somewhere : )

Any and all help is appreciated.

Photo can be seen at [ you will need to add HTTPS to the link ]

://photos.app.goo.gl/6EcUDL2wdmxqA19u5

Last edited by trayfer; 08-23-19 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-24-19, 06:24 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Tommasso was the house on Florida based bicycle importer/distributor Ten Speed Drive. The brand was introduced circa 1984. Tommaso is Italian for Thomas and is derived from the owner's name, Tom Eason. The frames were sourced in Italy, primarily from Billato. The frames were imported unfinished and were painted and prepped in the USA. They were sold as both bare frames and complete bicycles. They didn't have traditional model names but were named after the tubeset and component group. In your case, it would simply be a Tommaso TSX, given that it is a frankenbike with a mixed component group. The presence of Columbus TSX indicates it is no older than 1988 and given the fade paint, I doubt it dates very far into the 1990s.
Old 08-24-19, 06:32 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Pic assist

Old 08-24-19, 05:38 PM
trayfer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your response and I also thank the administrator for the pic assist.

Does this frankenbike have any monetary value as is and if so what might that be?
Old 08-24-19, 06:02 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Well even with the mixed components it is still more than rideable. If that was near me I'd go $250-300. If it was cleaned and properly tuned some one might give you more.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-24-19, 08:06 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Good condition Italian bikes sell for a premium. Usually in increments of $100. Start at $1000 and add or subtract multiples of $100 for riding condition and appearance. I'd start around $500 for the bike pictured above.
Old 08-24-19, 08:10 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Nah, that's high. BG is closer ro reality.

Dirty, unkempt, mismatched rims, saddle is a disaster. Can't even tell what components are on it. Anyone who takes a for sale pic against an old bed frame is a little sketchy in my book anyway. Even in Florida.

Clearly not well maintained, which means the buyer is taking a chance on component condition. Billato built bikes can be nice, but there are better ones out there.

Last edited by rccardr; 08-24-19 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 05:09 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Good condition Italian bikes sell for a premium. Usually in increments of $100. Start at $1000 and add or subtract multiples of $100 for riding condition and appearance. I'd start around $500 for the bike pictured above.
Originally Posted by rccardr

Dirty, unkempt, mismatched rims, saddle is a disaster. Can't even tell what components are on it. Anyone who takes a for sale pic against an old bed frame is a little sketchy in my book anyway. Even in Florida.

Clearly not well maintained, which means the buyer is taking a chance on component condition. Billato built bikes can be nice, but there are better ones out there.
I forgot to attach the link I struggled so hard to figure out. It is wicked dirty and needs a good overhaul, cables, saddle and maybe tires but how does that phrase go "it's got good bones"?

TSX wif 1st Gen Chorus cranks, Chorus(?) HS, 105 shifters and brake lever, Dura Ace calipers and 600 RD. All good stuff just needs tonnes of elbow grease

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...xHbnVqZ0RVN2Rn

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-25-19, 03:33 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Yeah. You're right. Have to knock at least a hundred off it for the mis-matched wheels.
Old 08-25-19, 04:44 PM
trayfer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr

Thank you responding. The photos I took of the bike were from a few years ago just for the purpose of having them for quick reference. Sorry about the bedframe but it was a better background at that moment than the wall behind it. I am not in Florida, me and the bike are in San Diego, CA.

I really appreciate all the input I have received from all of you and will clean it up a bit and take better photos. I didn't want to mess with it to much as I am not knowledgeable in that area and don't want to possibly mess anything up. The bike was received from a neighbor that moved away who owed me some $ and at the time it was the simplest way to settle the debt. He owed me about $500 and I just figured I'd work it out later.

Additionally, it will definitely need tlc and elbow grease from someone who knows what to do. Saddle is shot, tires are dead...mismatched components...you got it all right but it's what I've got : )

Thanks again.