Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Question about search excluding long words.

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 11-11-09, 03:28 PM
helicomatic
nice idea, poor execution

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I figured I would search to see if there were any threads about Helicomatic hubs, and to see if any references to my username showed up as well. When searching for "Helicomatic" you get this result:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : Helicomatic
Now I know the hubs are on a whole bunch of old Peugeots, Treks, and others, but how common can it really be as a topic? I guess it's just too long. Searching for "hakkapeliitta" tires gives you a similar result. Why are long search terms blocked?
Old 06-02-19, 12:57 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,729 Times in 1,180 Posts
Time to get the jumper cables and jolt this thread back to life. I was astonished to find that the search fails on words as short as 11 letters. This is an English language site, with content of a mostly technical nature, in the 21st Century. Eleven letters? Seriously?

Total coincidence - it was a failed search on "helicomatic" that pointed me to this thread. I went to this section of the forum and searched on "search long", and this came up.
Old 06-02-19, 02:19 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
While it is less than optimal, my current recommendation is to open a shiny new Google tab, and in the address bar paste this:

helicomatic hubs site:www.bikeforums.net

It works.
Old 06-02-19, 06:53 PM
madpogue 

If by "it works", you mean "it spies on you, yes, it "works". But I digress; any generic search engine does NOT work for the purpose. Such a search provides EVERY reference to the search terms, EVER stored on the specified site, in order of what IT "thinks" is important. No option to search specific sections, let alone search specific threads, or search by user, or order by date. Forget about options like return posts vs. threads, search on thread headers only, etc. These are all features that forum searches have had for decades, and emasculating the search by limiting the number of letters in a word is, well, 20th-Century.
Old 06-03-19, 04:19 PM
madpogue 

Actually, the search _features_ are pretty cool; as said, it can fine tune your search in ways that a generic search engine can't (simply because it's embedded in the forum app). But such a small word size limit cripples it. Bumping it to, oh, 15 or 16 letters would make a big difference.
Old 06-03-19, 04:35 PM
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by helicomatic
So I figured I would search to see if there were any threads about Helicomatic hubs, and to see if any references to my username showed up as well. When searching for "Helicomatic" you get this result:

Now I know the hubs are on a whole bunch of old Peugeots, Treks, and others, but how common can it really be as a topic? I guess it's just too long. Searching for "hakkapeliitta" tires gives you a similar result. Why are long search terms blocked?
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
While it is less than optimal, my current recommendation is to open a shiny new Google tab, and in the address bar paste this:

helicomatic hubs site:www.bikeforums.net

It works.
Originally Posted by madpogue
Actually, the search _features_ are pretty cool; as said, it can fine tune your search in ways that a generic search engine can't (simply because it's embedded in the forum app). But such a small word size limit cripples it. Bumping it to, oh, 15 or 16 letters would make a big difference.
Hello all, I looked into this issue with tech and fixed it. @helicomatic , I apologize about that inconvenience.
Old 06-03-19, 04:53 PM
madpogue 

Looky that, it works! Thanks Ryan.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 06-03-19, 05:19 PM
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)