Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Walmart bikes step up.

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Walmart bikes step up.

Old 10-12-11, 08:34 AM
  #1  
rich_1833
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walmart bikes step up.

As you will be able to tell I'm a newb tring to get into biking. My family of 5 all have yardsale and walmart bikes. We have been riding around town everyday for the last 4 or 5 months. We have came up with a plain to upgrade all the bikes to "bike shop bikes" and take to some of the local singletrack trails. So we started looking at the LBS's, reading books and on the web. I think we have all rode atleast 2 or 3 bike each but I'm still not sure if ones better then the other. The 3 kids (5,8 and 13) really like them all and don't care about much more then looks and a new bike. Although my 13 YO did say he liked the feel of one bike over the other. So far my list for me is about 13 or so bikes from 6 different builders. I myself can tell alittle different between bike but nothing good or bad.

What am I looking for in a bike when I test ride it?
Are all bike frames equal in this price range?


So far I rode;
Specailized hardrock disc
Specailized hardrock disc 29
Felt Q520
GT Avalanche disc 2.0

Some I still want to look at;
Kona Lana'l
Scott Aspect 40
Scott Aspect 29
Gaint Revel
GT Karakoram 2.0
rich_1833 is offline  
Old 10-13-11, 08:02 AM
  #2  
pablosnazzy
Senior Member
 
pablosnazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: fruita, co
Posts: 1,701

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rich_1833 View Post
.....
What am I looking for in a bike when I test ride it?
......
fit. you should be comfortable and the bike should fit, it should feel good. your kid said he liked the feel of the one bike over the other, so that is the bike for him.

after that, make sure it's a good bike, i.e. it is made by a reputable bike company (Next is not a good bike, Specialized is).

this bikes you listed are all good bikes, so the only thing you need to focus on is fit.
pablosnazzy is offline  
Old 10-13-11, 01:51 PM
  #3  
Singlespeed92
No longer here
 
Singlespeed92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pablosnazzy View Post
fit. you should be comfortable and the bike should fit, it should feel good. your kid said he liked the feel of the one bike over the other, so that is the bike for him.

after that, make sure it's a good bike, i.e. it is made by a reputable bike company (Next is not a good bike, Specialized is).

this bikes you listed are all good bikes, so the only thing you need to focus on is fit.

+2 on all counts
Singlespeed92 is offline  
Old 10-17-11, 10:08 AM
  #4  
rich_1833
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think he liked the 29 inch tires over the 26. He said it was easier in the grass. So he's pretty much set on the Specailized hardrock disc 29 and I think I'm going to look at the 29ers also. I'm really happy with the LBS as they are more help then any book I've read. They set all the basic stuff up on the bike (seat, handlebars, brake levers, etc.. ) before you test ride. Infact they told me (and this might be everywhere but) to ride everbike in the store intill I found the right one. The are about 1/2 mile from a bike trail and they always say go put some miles on it. Anyway I'm just very please with them.
rich_1833 is offline  
Old 10-17-11, 10:58 AM
  #5  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,479

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like you found an exceptional shop that is doing everything right (and no, they aren't all like that - - fell blessed). Congrats - - you're off to a very good start.
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Old 10-17-11, 12:30 PM
  #6  
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'
 
hybridbkrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rich_1833 View Post
I think he liked the 29 inch tires over the 26. He said it was easier in the grass. So he's pretty much set on the Specailized hardrock disc 29 and I think I'm going to look at the 29ers also. I'm really happy with the LBS as they are more help then any book I've read. They set all the basic stuff up on the bike (seat, handlebars, brake levers, etc.. ) before you test ride. Infact they told me (and this might be everywhere but) to ride everbike in the store intill I found the right one. The are about 1/2 mile from a bike trail and they always say go put some miles on it. Anyway I'm just very please with them.
Holy crap. Thanks for that comment. Even with all the experience I have with different kinds of bicycles, I think you solved a dilemma for me. I was considering replacing my old, cheap 26 inch wheel mountain bike with another mountain bike for winter riding. If 29 is easier on grass then it must be easier on snow.
hybridbkrdr is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 08:56 AM
  #7  
Ratchet
stupid after seven
 
Ratchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 29er everyday, but I am building a 26 inch for winter this year... I figure it'll be less distance to fall on the ice/snow
Ratchet is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
UndefinedBiker
Mountain Biking
8
08-22-17 12:29 PM
Crankykentucky
Hybrid Bicycles
15
06-28-14 11:08 PM
c_bake
Mountain Biking
2
12-27-11 10:21 AM
BikingCivic
General Cycling Discussion
9
07-08-11 04:38 PM
EnzGemini
Mountain Biking
7
04-08-10 09:23 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.