Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

washing your feet?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

washing your feet?

Old 12-29-11, 11:14 AM
  #51  
lumpynose
Member
Thread Starter
 
lumpynose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Concord, California
Posts: 38

Bikes: Trek, Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Whenever I go hiking, I have shoes or boots on. The only time they come off on a hike is when I wade in a lake or a stream. My shoes get dirty and dusty, but not my feet.
But couldn't you say the same thing about the clothes on your upper body? I'm not washing my upper body because I'm crawling around in the mud or whatever, but because it gets stinky; it seems obvious to me to apply the same logic to your entire body. And it's not like washing your feet is some difficult time-consuming process.
lumpynose is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 11:20 AM
  #52  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 21,142
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11858 Post(s)
Liked 3,161 Times in 1,781 Posts
I'm not telling him not to wash his feet; I'm telling him that if his feet actually get filthy from hiking, he should try putting some shoes on before he departs.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 11:33 AM
  #53  
lumpynose
Member
Thread Starter
 
lumpynose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Concord, California
Posts: 38

Bikes: Trek, Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
There is absolutely no good reason for washing legs and feet unless they are obviously dirty or smelly.
What's obvious to you may be different than what's obvious to others. Before I retired I took a light rail train to work and would occasionally sit next to or near someone with bad body odor and I've had coworkers who had bad body odor. It's hard for me to imagine that they knew that they stank and didn't care. I think your nose gets desensitized to your own body odor.

I suppose one could argue that even if your feet do smell, they're in your shoes and others aren't going to smell them anyhow. But again, I don't understand why one would make a point of not washing their feet; it's such a trivial task. Better safe than sorry.

(This has made me wonder about the stories that people who work in shoe stores could tell.)

Last edited by lumpynose; 12-29-11 at 11:37 AM.
lumpynose is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 11:45 AM
  #54  
lumpynose
Member
Thread Starter
 
lumpynose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Concord, California
Posts: 38

Bikes: Trek, Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the record, the survey is at 43% who don't wash their feet versus 54% who do. (2% wash their feet but not their legs.)
lumpynose is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 11:49 AM
  #55  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,837

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3841 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
What's obvious to you may be different than what's obvious to others.
Exactly, hence my comment on the annoyance of perfumes and scents, which the wearers seem oblivious to.

Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
But again, I don't understand why one would make a point of not washing their feet; it's such a trivial task. Better safe than sorry.
I don't "make a point" of not doing it - you make a point of doing it. And it isn't necessarily trival - you could fall in the shower or tub doing it, which is actually a potentially life-threatening event. That's not my reason for eschewing the task, however; I just don't find it necessary. If you feel it is, be my guest, but I assure you, my feet don't smell any worse than yours.
cooker is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 11:51 AM
  #56  
lostarchitect 
incazzare.
 
lostarchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 6,932

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Some of you guys must smell like an abandoned cheese factory.
__________________
1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson), 1973 Wes Mason, 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2011 Dick Chafe, 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter
lostarchitect is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 11:52 AM
  #57  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,837

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3841 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect View Post
Some of you guys must smell like an abandoned cheese factory.
Have you noticed that 43% of people have smelly feet? I doubt it.
cooker is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 11:56 AM
  #58  
lumpynose
Member
Thread Starter
 
lumpynose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Concord, California
Posts: 38

Bikes: Trek, Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Do you actually lather up every square cm of your skin every time you shower? Your back too?
I'm embarrased to admit that I don't wash that part of my back that I can't reach. It does bother me. But otherwise, every other square inch of my body gets lathered. (Again I wonder, why would you not lather everything that you can reach? What benefit is there from not washing everything?) I need something like a loofa sponge with rope handles for washing my back.
lumpynose is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 12:50 PM
  #59  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,837

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3841 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I'm embarrased to admit that I don't wash that part of my back that I can't reach. It does bother me.
Nothing to be concerned about. I can pretty much guarantee no offensive odor is emanating from your back as you are sitting there, and were someone to inspect your back, I bet they would not notice a difference in smell or appearance between the parts you can reach and the parts you can't.
cooker is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 01:14 PM
  #60  
Digital_Cowboy
Senior Member
 
Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
Posts: 9,352

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
It's not always a great benefit. I don't want to be around people with BO, but I also find perfumes and scents obnoxious, plus they trigger allergic reactions in some people.

Do you actually lather up every square cm of your skin every time you shower? Your back too?



This is a good example of doing something because there's a valid reason for it, not just because "you're supposed to". The main reason for practising good oral care is to prevent cavities and gum disease (which can cause other diseases), and thus protect your health.

Interestingly, when they find fossilized prehuman skulls, the teeth are usually free of cavities. We probably need to practice dental hygiene because of our junk diet.
As for the aforementioned bacterial/hygienic reasons for washing one's feet. There is also the fact that sadly there are now a LOT of diabetics out there. And by washing their feet it gives them the perfect time to inspect their feet for sores. It also gives everyone the opportunity to inspect their feet for warts, bunions, callouses, fungus', etc.
Digital_Cowboy is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 01:17 PM
  #61  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 21,142
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11858 Post(s)
Liked 3,161 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
But again, I don't understand why one would make a point of not washing their feet; it's such a trivial task. Better safe than sorry.
That's why I always wear a life jacket. Nobody wants to drown on their road bike, or while crossing the street or waiting in line at the coffee shop. Better safe than sorry.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 01:23 PM
  #62  
Digital_Cowboy
Senior Member
 
Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
Posts: 9,352

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Exactly, hence my comment on the annoyance of perfumes and scents, which the wearers seem oblivious to.



I don't "make a point" of not doing it - you make a point of doing it. And it isn't necessarily trivial - you could fall in the shower or tub doing it, which is actually a potentially life-threatening event. That's not my reason for eschewing the task, however; I just don't find it necessary. If you feel it is, be my guest, but I assure you, my feet don't smell any worse than yours.
Actually the only way it is "dangerous" to wash one's feet is if one doesn't take the time to first rinse off the soap before putting their foot back down before washing the other foot. How hard is it to after washing one's feet, one at a time. To stick it into the shower to rinse off the soap?
Digital_Cowboy is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 01:58 PM
  #63  
jputnam
Senior Member
 
jputnam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pacific, WA
Posts: 1,260

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy View Post
There is also the fact that sadly there are now a LOT of diabetics out there. And by washing their feet it gives them the perfect time to inspect their feet for sores. It also gives everyone the opportunity to inspect their feet for warts, bunions, callouses, fungus', etc.
I can see my feet a lot better when trimming my toenails than when standing in the shower. (But then, my good eye can't focus past my wrists without my glasses on. The bad eye stops at my elbow. Been that way since grade school. That's also part of why I shave in the shower -- can't see the mirror anyway, so I've always shaved by feel, not by sight. Might as well do it where cleanup is easier.)
jputnam is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 08:10 PM
  #64  
lostarchitect 
incazzare.
 
lostarchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 6,932

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Have you noticed that 43% of people have smelly feet? I doubt it.
I haven't worked it out to a percentage, but I have certainly noticed people with stinky feet on airplanes, at the movies, in the office, and in other situations where people innapropriately took off their shoes. I can't believe I'm posting on this childish thread.
__________________
1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson), 1973 Wes Mason, 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2011 Dick Chafe, 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter
lostarchitect is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 09:46 PM
  #65  
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Posts: 12,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
There's actually no common sense to it. There is absolutely no good reason for washing legs and feet unless they are obviously dirty or smelly. Soap has only been around for a fraction of our existence, and we did fine without it for hundreds of thousands of years.
I find that washing my feet is good. It gets all the dead skin off, especially between the toes. It's not the soap as much as just rubbing between my toes and the sides of the toes with my fingers and the running water.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline  
Old 12-30-11, 02:27 AM
  #66  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 2,877

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yo Mod! STICKY!!!!
imi is offline  
Old 12-30-11, 06:34 AM
  #67  
idc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia/DC
Posts: 1,454

Bikes: quite a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surely it depends on the individual. My dermatologist recommends I use soap only on my armpits and nether regions, so unless I'm feeling bored or I've actually had caked-on dirt, mud, been hiking, etc, no I don't wash my legs or feet. I don't have smelly feet. I'm also not supposed to take hot showers.

I've also tried the "no shampoo" regimen during which I went months without washing my hair - I have long, thick hair btw. It worked okay but I've gone back to washing it once or twice a week.
idc is offline  
Old 12-30-11, 11:00 AM
  #68  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,837

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3841 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy View Post
There is also the fact that sadly there are now a LOT of diabetics out there. And by washing their feet it gives them the perfect time to inspect their feet for sores.
Exactly. Do it because you have a specific reason to, not just because "common sense" tells you everybody should always do it.

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy View Post
It also gives everyone the opportunity to inspect their feet for warts, bunions, callouses, fungus', etc.
EDIT - thought about this on my break. If you need to inspect your feet, inspect them, if you need to wash them, wash them, but you don't have to do it at the same time. And, in fact, I'm not sure in the shower is the "perfect time" to do it for most people. In my case inspecting my feet in the shower wouldn't work - not just because I'm not wearing glasses (see also jputnam above), but because it's a bit dark behind the shower curtain, and I'd have to balance precariously on one foot in a wet tube while hunching over and hoisting the other one up towards my face.

I assume, as a fan of good foot hygeine, you put on fresh socks at least once a day, and take them off at bedtime. That would be the most convenient time, I think, for most people to inspect for foot lesions - while donning or doffing socks. They'd be on a dry floor, possibly in better light, wearing their glasses, and they could prop the foot up on the bed or a chair or their lap to get it closer to their face.

Last edited by cooker; 12-30-11 at 01:51 PM.
cooker is offline  
Old 12-30-11, 11:16 AM
  #69  
locolobo13 
Senior Member
 
locolobo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phx, AZ
Posts: 1,757

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Whenever I go hiking, I have shoes or boots on. The only time they come off on a hike is when I wade in a lake or a stream. My shoes get dirty and dusty, but not my feet.
LOL

I wear shoes when hiking. Yet my feet and socks manage to get dirty too. When I was a kid we called it toe jam. I'm just a dirty man!
locolobo13 is offline  
Old 01-01-12, 10:32 PM
  #70  
lumpynose
Member
Thread Starter
 
lumpynose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Concord, California
Posts: 38

Bikes: Trek, Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know the drill; do a google search. https://goo.gl/SiFX9
And for the Christians:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_washing

I didn't see any entries that say that you don't need to wash your feet, but perhaps I didn't look hard enough.
lumpynose is offline  
Old 01-01-12, 11:21 PM
  #71  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,837

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3841 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 52 Posts
Those are mostly for people who already have smelly feet. And I like how the one on kids health says that washing the feet "may" be better than letting shower water fall on them. Not exactly a strong recommendation.
cooker is offline  
Old 01-02-12, 12:03 AM
  #72  
Ratchet
stupid after seven
 
Ratchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith View Post
I'd expect that argument from a six-year-old. The same one who claims you don't have to wash behind your ears because nobody can see there.
what on EARTH are you doing that you get dirt behind your ears? Seriously... A six-year-old boy, I can see, but unless you work in a dirty environment (like dirt, for instance), I cannot imagine how you'd get dirt there.

And to add to the discussion, stop cleaning your ears out with q-tips, too- that just makes them produce more wax. True story. My husband, who cleans his out obsessively? Lots 'o wax. Me? No q-tips, no wax... And yes, I'd know, we look in our ears at work often.
Ratchet is offline  
Old 01-02-12, 12:45 AM
  #73  
SlimRider
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,804

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
what on EARTH are you doing that you get dirt behind your ears? Seriously... A six-year-old boy, I can see, but unless you work in a dirty environment (like dirt, for instance), I cannot imagine how you'd get dirt there.

And to add to the discussion, stop cleaning your ears out with q-tips, too- that just makes them produce more wax. True story. My husband, who cleans his out obsessively? Lots 'o wax. Me? No q-tips, no wax... And yes, I'd know, we look in our ears at work often.
What on earth is a desk or table top doing to collect dust on their surfaces?

Dust paticulates are just a part of earth's atmosphere. You don't have to DO anything to collect dust and dirt. When we are active and we create warm and moist places on our unprotected bodies, bacteria collect and reproduce. They produce gases that are unpleasing to the olfactories. Thanks to the antibacterial acidity contained within the cerumen or wax of the ear, we don't have to bother with gases and smells emanating from the eardrum.

That said. We still have to wash behind the ears, as there is no protection from bacterial reproduction in that particular location. Who knows what life form could develop and evolve back there, if left unchecked?

- Slim
SlimRider is offline  
Old 01-02-12, 02:13 AM
  #74  
Digital_Cowboy
Senior Member
 
Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
Posts: 9,352

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Exactly. Do it because you have a specific reason to, not just because "common sense" tells you everybody should always do it.



EDIT - thought about this on my break. If you need to inspect your feet, inspect them, if you need to wash them, wash them, but you don't have to do it at the same time. And, in fact, I'm not sure in the shower is the "perfect time" to do it for most people. In my case inspecting my feet in the shower wouldn't work - not just because I'm not wearing glasses (see also jputnam above), but because it's a bit dark behind the shower curtain, and I'd have to balance precariously on one foot in a wet tube while hunching over and hoisting the other one up towards my face.

I assume, as a fan of good foot hygeine, you put on fresh socks at least once a day, and take them off at bedtime. That would be the most convenient time, I think, for most people to inspect for foot lesions - while donning or doffing socks. They'd be on a dry floor, possibly in better light, wearing their glasses, and they could prop the foot up on the bed or a chair or their lap to get it closer to their face.
I guess it would really depend on the person as to when would or wouldn't be the "best" time to inspect ones feet. Personally, I have no problems in doing so while I'm in the shower/bath, as I am sure there are lots of people who likewise don't have a problem doing so either in the shower or bath.

Actually, until I am ready to head out the door for the day and once I get home I go barefoot.
Digital_Cowboy is offline  
Old 01-02-12, 12:36 PM
  #75  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,837

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3841 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post

That said. We still have to wash behind the ears, as there is no protection from bacterial reproduction in that particular location. Who knows what life form could develop and evolve back there, if left unchecked?

- Slim
Actually, all this excess washing is probably creating more resistant bacteria.
cooker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.