Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bounced off the road today...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 11:45 PM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was riding home from work early, and decided to go on a route I dont ride that often.

I was turning left at an intersection (drive on the right here in China) and watching cars, not the road.

Felt the bike buck, and suddenly I was on the ground feeling sore. Noticed bits of my bike computer on the ground first. Looked around to see if there were any cars coming, none, then looked to see if I had embarrased myself in front of anybody. I had. Lots of cars waiting at the lights, and a few pedestrians as well. Picked up the bits of my computer, and my bike and walked to the sidewalk, feeling my head a bit wonky, and a bit of pain in my back.

Chain had come off, left brake handle bent, but still good, gave it a very good squeeze. Fixed the former, and hoped the latter was good enough. Some blood seeping through my long bike pants on my right knee.

Rode home, I was less than 3 km from work, so still had 9 to go.

Some skin missing from my knees, a bit from my right shoulder, and a nice bit missing from my left elbow. Still a little back pain, hoping that will go away. Nice scrape on the corner of my B17, on the opposite side of the one the thief made when he fell off after I chased him down.

I had a camera, iPhone and iPod all in Pelican cases, all good. Kindle in a cover, inside a waterproof bag with a nice air cushion was also good.

That is 5 falls in China in 15,000 km, so about one every 3000 km. No lasting damage so far

z
Old 01-11-12, 11:53 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
If your head was feeling wonky, did you go for a scan? Also, I`d suggest replacing your helmet, as it obviously received quite a blow if you had a giddy feeling (or whatever).
Old 01-12-12, 12:02 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you're still here to report it all!

What do you think caused your accident?

- Slim

PS.

Hey, the older you get, the less these things need to happen!

I waited until I got to be aged, before I even began to have serious spills like that one!
Old 01-12-12, 01:00 AM
Ratchet
stupid after seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, you'd better have your melon checked...