Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Best frameset with fork for $300 or less?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Best frameset with fork for $300 or less?

Old 11-19-14, 12:59 PM
  #26  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AristoNYC View Post
Go do some squats. I love when people automatically assume that an aluminum frame will be 10x lighter than a quality steel frame.
Last I checked, the budget Kilo tt doesn't weigh 25 pounds.
I bet my left testicle that I squat substantially more weight than you.

I've ridden aluminum and steel, and was just stating that I loathe steel, as most of the bikes I've ridden were heavier.

This guy isn't buying a kilo tt, he's trying to build a bike on a budget. If he's only willing to drop 300 on a frameset, I think it's safe to assume he isn't spending a lot on the other components, therefore he's going to end up with a fairly heavy bike.

You people get too sensitive in the steel versus aluminum debate, I admitted that it was all preference.
If people can constantly say that the kilott is the best bike under 600 dollars and everyone on earth should buy one, I don't think it's wrong for me to say that I think the leader 725 is the best frameset under 300 right now.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:03 PM
  #27  
Scrodzilla
See you in Hell.
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 26,029

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, Dolan DB3 Prototype

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
I don't think it's wrong for me to say that I think the leader 725 is the best frameset under 300 right now.
Except that the the 2015 Leader 725 frameset costs $499 with a carbon/aluminum fork or $649 with a full carbon fork.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:05 PM
  #28  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
Except that the the 2015 Leader 725 frameset costs $499 with a carbon/aluminum fork or $649 with a full carbon fork.
+1
I said in my earlier post 2014 closeouts.

I wouldn't recommend the new one to someone who was asking for a 300 dollar deal. I'm mouthy and clueless at times, but I'm not stupid.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:08 PM
  #29  
Scrodzilla
See you in Hell.
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 26,029

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, Dolan DB3 Prototype

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts
I think this dude's threads make us all a little dumber.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:10 PM
  #30  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


That's quite possible.
I'm out. you guys have a good day riding whatever metal you choose!
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:19 PM
  #31  
T13
Senior Member
 
T13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: CLE-OH
Posts: 1,337

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ban this fool already.
Dude is asking stupid questions, repetitiously.

Also,

"I can squat more than you"
T13 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:19 PM
  #32  
gl98115
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look L96. Anything else is just a compromise.
gl98115 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:21 PM
  #33  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T13 View Post
"I can squat more than you"

When someone tells me to go squat, I get offended. Especially when it comes from a cyclist.. Most cyclists are underweight and weak and don't lift much.

It would be like a ballerina telling someone who competes in MMA that they need to work on their ground game...
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:28 PM
  #34  
T13
Senior Member
 
T13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: CLE-OH
Posts: 1,337

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
When someone tells me to go squat, I get offended. Especially when it comes from a cyclist.. Most cyclists are underweight and weak and don't lift much.

It would be like a ballerina telling someone who competes in MMA that they need to work on their ground game...
The "i can lift more weight than you" argument is dumb. I think Scrod is right. This guys threads DO make everyone dumber.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
heavyrecord.jpg (12.7 KB, 5 views)
T13 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:36 PM
  #35  
AristoNYC
Senior Member
 
AristoNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 1,771

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
I bet my left testicle that I squat substantially more weight than you.

I've ridden aluminum and steel, and was just stating that I loathe steel, as most of the bikes I've ridden were heavier.

This guy isn't buying a kilo tt, he's trying to build a bike on a budget. If he's only willing to drop 300 on a frameset, I think it's safe to assume he isn't spending a lot on the other components, therefore he's going to end up with a fairly heavy bike.

You people get too sensitive in the steel versus aluminum debate, I admitted that it was all preference.
If people can constantly say that the kilott is the best bike under 600 dollars and everyone on earth should buy one, I don't think it's wrong for me to say that I think the leader 725 is the best frameset under 300 right now.
You might get a hernia if you're lifting with your testicle, be careful.
AristoNYC is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:37 PM
  #36  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T13 View Post
The "i can lift more weight than you" argument is dumb. I think Scrod is right. This guys threads DO make everyone dumber.

I agree that it's dumb to just pull that out of the air. It was only said because someone who probably can't squat 225 (no hate) told me I should squat more, just because I don't like heavy bikes.

If I only road my bike 20 miles a week, I wouldn't tell someone else they needed to ride more miles.

I agree that we're all getting dumber here.
That picture is a front squat coming out of a clean, not a "squat". (now I can say we all learned something)
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:41 PM
  #37  
AristoNYC
Senior Member
 
AristoNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 1,771

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
When someone tells me to go squat, I get offended. Especially when it comes from a cyclist.. Most cyclists are underweight and weak and don't lift much.

It would be like a ballerina telling someone who competes in MMA that they need to work on their ground game...
First, You took what I said way too literally as I was being sarcastic. I was merely making fun of your argument about a 25 pound bike being difficult. Secondly, arguing about how much weight you can lift online is stupid. Third, your assumption about "most cyclists" is quite foolish.

Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
I agree that it's dumb to just pull that out of the air. It was only said because someone who probably can't squat 225 (no hate) told me I should squat more, just because I don't like heavy bikes.

If I only road my bike 20 miles a week, I wouldn't tell someone else they needed to ride more miles.

I agree that we're all getting dumber here.
That picture is a front squat coming out of a clean, not a "squat". (now I can say we all learned something)
You are quite hilarious.
AristoNYC is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:44 PM
  #38  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AristoNYC View Post
First, You took what I said way too literally as I was being sarcastic. I was merely making fun of your argument about a 25 pound bike being difficult. Secondly, arguing about how much weight you can lift online is stupid. Third, your assumption about "most cyclists" is quite foolish.

I was also just having some friendly banter back by saying "i can squat more".
Arguing about how you can do anything better than someone else, especially over the internet, is beyond stupid.
And I don't know what cyclists look like up north, but in my city, most of them are scrawny guys, not many of them hit the gym. The very nature of cycling (with the exception of track cycling, those guys are beasts) is detrimental to maintaining a lot of muscle mass. LISS exercise for 3 hours at a time burns up some serious muscle.

Anyway, can't we all just get along. Enough people hate fixed gear riders without us giving each other ****.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:54 PM
  #39  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AristoNYC View Post

You are quite hilarious.

It may have been bad logic, but I'll tell you how I got to that.

No one who squats more than 225 can fit their quads into skinny jeans.
I didn't think anyone was allowed to ride fixed in NYC without a pair of 511's.
Since you ride fixed in NYC I came to the conclusion you probably couldn't squat 2 plates

Clearly my data is flawed and I apologize.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:55 PM
  #40  
AristoNYC
Senior Member
 
AristoNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 1,771

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
I was also just having some friendly banter back by saying "i can squat more".
Arguing about how you can do anything better than someone else, especially over the internet, is beyond stupid.
And I don't know what cyclists look like up north, but in my city, most of them are scrawny guys, not many of them hit the gym. The very nature of cycling (with the exception of track cycling, those guys are beasts) is detrimental to maintaining a lot of muscle mass. LISS exercise for 3 hours at a time burns up some serious muscle.

Anyway, can't we all just get along. Enough people hate fixed gear riders without us giving each other ****.
We are all on gear up here in NYC. High caloric intake and avoiding a catabolic state can definitely reduce muscle loss from lots of cycling. I agree, I try to keep my weight at 200 pounds and its tough when I cycle or run a lot. I usually take the winter months build up since my cardio is down from the summer/fall.
AristoNYC is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:57 PM
  #41  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn. You're heavier than I am.
Are you tall?


I'm coming up to NYC in December for the winter alley cat. I'll buy you a beer to say sorry for being an *******!
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 02:00 PM
  #42  
AristoNYC
Senior Member
 
AristoNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 1,771

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
Damn. You're heavier than I am.
Are you tall?


I'm coming up to NYC in December for the winter alley cat. I'll buy you a beer to say sorry for being an *******!
6'4

No need to apologize man, its all in good fun. This is the internet, if I got offended or angry over other peoples comments I would be in a world of trouble.
AristoNYC is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 02:12 PM
  #43  
Carcosa
Senior Member
 
Carcosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jhess74 View Post
Whew... was worried you might not start a new thread today.
Beat me to it. I loled.

Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
True. I just can't imagine doing a budget build with steel unless you're a fan of riding a heavy ass bike that feels like a tank. I've had 5 steel bikes and all of them were a bummer to ride compared to even a low end aluminum build.
I agree with you that a year or two old 725 frame set is a hell of a deal these days.

I hate to bring the steel v. aluminum argument up again, but, just out of curiosity, what steel bike have you had that were such a bummer?

I ride a 725 and love it. At the same time, since owning a Bianchi and a Fuji, I could give up aluminum and not be too sad. Especially since both my used steel bikes together cost a little over half the Leader complete at the time (craigslist is your friend).

It pains me to use real knowledge for this post though because:

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
I think this dude's threads make us all a little dumber.
Carcosa is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 02:19 PM
  #44  
Scrodzilla
See you in Hell.
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 26,029

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, Dolan DB3 Prototype

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
I'm out.
Yet you're still in...
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 02:43 PM
  #45  
dpc1192
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dpc1192's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sarasota FL
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dpc1192 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 02:49 PM
  #46  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa View Post
Beat me to it. I loled.



I agree with you that a year or two old 725 frame set is a hell of a deal these days.

I hate to bring the steel v. aluminum argument up again, but, just out of curiosity, what steel bike have you had that were such a bummer?

I ride a 725 and love it. At the same time, since owning a Bianchi and a Fuji, I could give up aluminum and not be too sad. Especially since both my used steel bikes together cost a little over half the Leader complete at the time (craigslist is your friend).

It pains me to use real knowledge for this post though because:
I've had 3 rush hours (reynolds). And some crappy entry level steel bikes.
I'm sure I'd enjoy riding something like a bianchi around town, but as I said, this guy seems to be building a budget bike.
entry level steel bikes end up being heavy IMO but I've built an entry level aluminum and it's not very heavy.

I live in a hilly area so I prefer my aluminum bike, bullhorns, and a conservative gearing. Id ride something totally different in a metropolitan area.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 02:59 PM
  #47  
Carcosa
Senior Member
 
Carcosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dpc1192 View Post
Repost.

Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
I've had 3 rush hours (reynolds). And some crappy entry level steel bikes.
I'm sure I'd enjoy riding something like a bianchi around town, but as I said, this guy seems to be building a budget bike.
entry level steel bikes end up being heavy IMO but I've built an entry level aluminum and it's not very heavy.

I live in a hilly area so I prefer my aluminum bike, bullhorns, and a conservative gearing. Id ride something totally different in a metropolitan area.
Entry level steel v. entry level aluminum and I'd agree with you and I ride the same set up with a little higher gearing int he metro area I live in. so it's double agreement. Find you a good steel bike, it's a nice change of pace.

On a slightly related note, it's seem so silly that all these threads get started with a low budget and nobody says "hey maybe you should find a good used deal since you'll probably ruin the bike anyways." Especially since it takes a little bit of mechanical know how to get a Bikes Direct bike up and running.
Carcosa is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 03:10 PM
  #48  
carlomdy
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 46

Bikes: Dosnoventa, LOOK, RYD, SE, Trek, etc..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
I've had 3 rush hours (reynolds). And some crappy entry level steel bikes.
I'm sure I'd enjoy riding something like a bianchi around town, but as I said, this guy seems to be building a budget bike.
entry level steel bikes end up being heavy IMO but I've built an entry level aluminum and it's not very heavy.

I live in a hilly area so I prefer my aluminum bike, bullhorns, and a conservative gearing. Id ride something totally different in a metropolitan area.
dammit man.
carlomdy is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 03:23 PM
  #49  
dpc1192
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dpc1192's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sarasota FL
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aventon Córdoba with Carbon Lite fork for $290 or State 6061 set for $320
dpc1192 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 03:25 PM
  #50  
T13
Senior Member
 
T13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: CLE-OH
Posts: 1,337

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
I was also just having some friendly banter back by saying "i can squat more".
I was only friendly bantering too, FWIW...

T13 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.