Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

So there's this Boston cabbie who gets arrested...

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

So there's this Boston cabbie who gets arrested...

Old 11-17-14, 08:25 AM
  #26  
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,122
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
I'm not sure what the typical cyclist does on this road, as opposed to Brunelle, because I'm not familiar with the area or the laws in that state.

If that road were in my city, I would have been riding on the shoulder, and passing cars, (maybe not at the speed he's going), and that van right hooked him. And Lucas was nice about it.
I'm beyond familiar with the area and the laws in my state.

But Brunelle is not a typical cyclist, so laws are not relevant.

Originally Posted by Life in the 'Lucas Lane' Boston Globe August 14, 2003
"In years of riding in the city, he says he has yet to hit anyone or get doored. In fact, Brunelle rides in the "door zone" so frequently he calls it the "Lucas lane."
In one week he put a pedestrian in the hospital and rode into a right hook.

-mr. bill
mr_bill is offline  
Old 11-17-14, 08:40 AM
  #27  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
I'm beyond familiar with the area and the laws in my state.
But Brunelle is not a typical cyclist, so laws are not relevant.
In one week he put a pedestrian in the hospital and rode into a right hook.
So was that shoulder considered a bike lane, or was the van totally justified in right hooking him?

I'm with you on the fact the Lucas rides like a jackass. While I liked his line of sight film, I find it very hard to believe that he doesn't cause more accidents, considering we have evidence of two into a week.

Is that a sidewalk next to the road or a greenway/bike path? I see a cyclist using it right after he gets hit.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 11-17-14, 09:16 AM
  #28  
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,122
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
So was that shoulder considered a bike lane...?

...

Is that a sidewalk next to the road or a greenway/bike path? I see a cyclist using it right after he gets hit.
Brunelle is riding on the shoulder, not a bike lane.

And the other cyclist (seen at the very beginning of the clip, then passing Brunelle later on) is riding (slowly) on a (substandard) MUP - there are (substandard) MUPs on both sides of that last stretch of Alewife Brook Parkway.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-17-14 at 09:46 AM.
mr_bill is offline  
Old 11-17-14, 09:24 AM
  #29  
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7068 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
If that road were in my city, I would have been riding on the shoulder, and passing cars, (maybe not at the speed he's going), and that van right hooked him. And Lucas was nice about it.
Would you pass a van on the right, approaching an entryway, while the van is signaling a right turn...? Brunelle doesn't appear to be a very proficient rider...
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 11-17-14, 09:32 AM
  #30  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
Brunelle is riding on the shoulder, not a bike lane.

And the other cyclist (seen at the very beginning of the clip, then passing Brunelle later on) is riding (slowly) on a (substandard) MUP - there are (substandard) MUPs on both sides of that last stretch of Alewife Brook Parkway.

-mr. bill
I would have used the MUP if that area is as bad as you say it is.


Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
Would you pass a van on the right, approaching an entryway, while the van is signaling a right turn...? Brunelle doesn't appear to be a very proficient rider...
Not on a shoulder. If I had a bike line and was riding at speed, it would have been hard to stop in time. Watching the video, he didn't have much time to react.
That said, mashing down a shoulder like that in the rain is an accident waiting to happen.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 11-17-14, 09:49 AM
  #31  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 276 Posts
there were a lot of vehicles waiting to turn right at that intersection when they had a chance, and riding that fast in that situation is just asking to hit a turning car. I refuse to call that a right hook, because the cyclist was overtaking. I have no problem with a certain amount of recklessness, but our traffic system doesn't work that well when you have to watch out for people doing something that oblivious.

And as far as the incident in the OP, we don't need any vigilante justice, especially when the guilty party stopped. What is the motivation to stop if you are going to get beat up as a result?
unterhausen is offline  
Old 11-18-14, 02:54 PM
  #32  
PatrickGSR94
Senior Member
 
PatrickGSR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis TN area
Posts: 7,393

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That was not a right hook. The van driver was not at fault at all. He signaled his turn, but Lucas was riding way too fast where he shouldn't have been.

Sure it's cool to pass traffic on a bike, but going that fast past that much traffic is just stupid.
PatrickGSR94 is offline  
Old 11-18-14, 04:36 PM
  #33  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 8,029

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
there were a lot of vehicles waiting to turn right at that intersection when they had a chance, and riding that fast in that situation is just asking to hit a turning car. I refuse to call that a right hook, because the cyclist was overtaking. I have no problem with a certain amount of recklessness, but our traffic system doesn't work that well when you have to watch out for people doing something that oblivious.

And as far as the incident in the OP, we don't need any vigilante justice, especially when the guilty party stopped. What is the motivation to stop if you are going to get beat up as a result?
Isn't that called hit and run?
__________________
I don't know nothing, and I memorized it in school and got this here paper I'm proud of to show it.
Rollfast is offline  
Old 11-18-14, 08:11 PM
  #34  
spare_wheel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 4,267

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brunelle's right hook is a prefect illustration of why lane splitting is safer for faster riders than riding on the right. Hopefully he recants his "lucas lane" BS.
spare_wheel is offline  
Old 11-18-14, 09:01 PM
  #35  
trailangel
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 4,083

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 136 Posts
Middle age children
trailangel is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 11:34 AM
  #36  
BarryJo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: No. Central Ma. USA
Posts: 2,669

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

Sure it's cool to pass traffic on a bike, but going that fast past that much traffic is just stupid.
There's nothing cool about passing cars that are barely moving

This whole story got me to thinking about something I'd never thought about before, where the heck do cyclists who live in an urban area go to ride their bikes without having to deal with traffic (cars and pedestrians), stop signs, red lights etc?
BarryJo is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 11:58 AM
  #37  
trailangel
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 4,083

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel View Post
Brunelle's right hook is a prefect illustration of why lane splitting is safer for faster riders than riding on the right. Hopefully he recants his "lucas lane" BS.
I say no to lane splitting... unless you are on a motorcycle with loud exhaust so they hear you coming.
I would rather proceed on the right.. with caution and appropriate speed of course.
I see too many drivers opening their driver side door to dumb coffee, spit, throw out trash, etc. Too much of a chance to get doored IMO.
To each his own, just another side of the picture.
Video shows Brunelle going way too fast IMO.
In fact, if I was the lady that got hit by Brunelle, i would have my attorney gather up all the videos he has posted which shows some kind of group sport game.. that is very dangerous.. and ruin his bank account.
trailangel is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 12:07 PM
  #38  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryJo View Post
This whole story got me to thinking about something I'd never thought about before, where the heck do cyclists who live in an urban area go to ride their bikes without having to deal with traffic (cars and pedestrians), stop signs, red lights etc?

I ride 8 miles to the city so I can deal with traffic, red lights, etc
It gets boring riding on an empty road after an hour or two.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 12:50 PM
  #39  
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,122
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryJo View Post
This whole story got me to thinking about something I'd never thought about before, where the heck do cyclists who live in an urban area go to ride their bikes without having to deal with traffic (cars and pedestrians), stop signs, red lights etc?
See this thread. Lots of photos of where people ride (Jumped to the beginning of this year for you). Bottom line - pretty much everywhere, not that there is anything wrong with traffic, stop signs and red lights etc.

-mr. bill
mr_bill is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:00 PM
  #40  
BarryJo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: No. Central Ma. USA
Posts: 2,669

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
I ride 8 miles to the city so I can deal with traffic, red lights, etc
It gets boring riding on an empty road after an hour or two.
One of my most memorable rides ever was a 5 hour ride getting lost on the roads outside of Blacksburg, I seriously considered moving if only the mothership had an office out there.

Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
See this thread. Lots of photos of where people ride (Jumped to the beginning of this year for you). Bottom line - pretty much everywhere, not that there is anything wrong with traffic, stop signs and red lights etc.

-mr. bill
Now that was depressing, seeing what the next 4 months have in store around the northeast. Obviously our riding styles are different, I consider it a major annoyance if I'm unable to maintain a certain average MPH, and if my shoes touch the ground more than once every hour.
BarryJo is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:03 PM
  #41  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryJo View Post
One of my most memorable rides ever was a 5 hour ride getting lost on the roads outside of Blacksburg, I seriously considered moving if only the mothership had an office out there.
I'm about 20 miles from Blacksburg. We don't have a lot of great urban riding where I live, but I definitely get some of the best scenery for long rides. Southwest Virginia is amazing for outdoor enthusiasts.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:10 PM
  #42  
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,122
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryJo View Post
....
Now that was depressing, seeing what the next 4 months have in store around the northeast. Obviously our riding styles are different, I consider it a major annoyance if I'm unable to maintain a certain average MPH, and if my shoes touch the ground more than once every hour.
My style is more interval training. Oh, I hope you followed the thread at least until spring and summer and fall.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-19-14 at 01:15 PM.
mr_bill is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 01:44 PM
  #43  
BarryJo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: No. Central Ma. USA
Posts: 2,669

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I only saw the Winter photos and closed the window.... I just went through the other 3 seasons, some real nice photos. I live off Rt 2 50 miles west of the city so I'm actually familiar with some of the areas in those photos.
thanks for pointing them out to me!
BarryJo is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 02:52 PM
  #44  
kickstart
Senior Member
 
kickstart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kent Wa.
Posts: 5,332

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
That was not a right hook. The van driver was not at fault at all. He signaled his turn, but Lucas was riding way too fast where he shouldn't have been.

Sure it's cool to pass traffic on a bike, but going that fast past that much traffic is just stupid.
Agreed, that wasn't a "right hook".

Passing is fine, but passing in or approaching an intersection isn't for the obvious reason.
kickstart is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 03:04 PM
  #45  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,444
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2000 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 277 Posts
I'm still confused as to why the cabbie started beating on him. Did he do something to tick him off? Stand in front of the cab while the dude was on the way to a fare to flag him down? Nothing and the cabbie was just a psycho?
himespau is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 03:41 PM
  #46  
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 1,315

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Acquaspin View Post
Running a red light, hitting a pedestrian, and got out with a civil case?? Without knowing the details, the pedestrian got below par legal advise or the rider got extremely lucky or both. And yes, just another day in urban paradise.
Considering how often drivers get away with outright killing pedestrians and cyclists, this may be a rare case of parity in the system. (Not in the right direction, but parity nonetheless.)
Notso_fastLane is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 04:37 PM
  #47  
dougmc
Senior Member
 
dougmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,038

Bikes: Burly Canto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Acquaspin View Post
Just to pile on the speculation, can't wait to see how much bail is set at when he is sued by the woman hit in the first place.
Bail is not required when somebody is sued -- that's a civil case.

Bail is only for criminal cases, and in general only for the more serious ones -- moving violations may be a criminal matter in your jurisdiction, but in general they don't involve bail unless they're the more serious ones (like reckless driving and DWI.)

But beating somebody up? That warrants an arrest and bail -- even if they deserved it.
dougmc is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 06:21 PM
  #48  
spare_wheel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 4,267

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
I see too many drivers opening their driver side door to dumb coffee, spit, throw out trash, etc. Too much of a chance to get doored IMO.
This objection holds for passing on the right side too but with the added risk of hooks and passenger unloading. I've been splitting lanes for a long time and I'm far more concerned about sudden lane changes than someone opening a door in moving traffic. (I slow down when there is gap in traffic that might allow lane changes or when traffic is at a standstill).
spare_wheel is offline  
Old 11-19-14, 07:34 PM
  #49  
GIANTHUFFYMAN
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The elderly lady has a civil case. The cabbie an assault charge. The cyclist will continue to race and make videos. Another day in the city of brotherly love.


I thought that was Philadelphia.
Cyclist made a bad choice to ignore his own safety and other peoples safety by ignoring the light.
Cabbie made an even worse choice to use a vehicle as an instrument of intimidation or as a weapon.
I don't think I know anyone that has not ignored a red light at least once in their life.
But I don't think I want to know the kind of person who would use his vehicle as a weapon against a pedestian.
But in the end, the cyclist was trying to do the right thing to help the injured person and the cabbie was only trying to injure another person, and not by accident; His actions were intentional.
I hope they throw the 'proverbial' book at him.
GIANTHUFFYMAN is offline  
Old 11-20-14, 12:22 PM
  #50  
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
The elderly lady has a civil case. The cabbie an assault charge. The cyclist will continue to race and make videos. Another day in the city of brotherly love.
Boston =/= Philadelphia
Keith99 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.