Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Old 06-12-15, 12:23 PM
  #12101  
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Posts: 8,806
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just went to LBS to see if they could do some magic to get 600 stem onto the bars i have, no dice.

so much for full 600. gonna have to rock the crappo kalloy stem. maybe ill get some polishing dealios for the dremel and polish a turd

now, what to do with a NOS 600 stem in perfect condition...maybe i should start selling some of these bike parts ive been hoarding. theres 2 boxes now.
Mumonkan is offline  
Old 06-12-15, 12:27 PM
  #12102  
Unkle Rico
Senior Member
 
Unkle Rico's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: dEnVeR
Posts: 1,684

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
just went to LBS to see if they could do some magic to get 600 stem onto the bars i have, no dice.

so much for full 600. gonna have to rock the crappo kalloy stem. maybe ill get some polishing dealios for the dremel and polish a turd

now, what to do with a NOS 600 stem in perfect condition...maybe i should start selling some of these bike parts ive been hoarding. theres 2 boxes now.
Unkle Rico is offline  
Old 06-12-15, 12:59 PM
  #12103  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,859

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
just went to LBS to see if they could do some magic to get 600 stem onto the bars i have, no dice.

so much for full 600. gonna have to rock the crappo kalloy stem. maybe ill get some polishing dealios for the dremel and polish a turd

now, what to do with a NOS 600 stem in perfect condition...maybe i should start selling some of these bike parts ive been hoarding. theres 2 boxes now.
Which bars are the problem?
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 06-12-15, 01:04 PM
  #12104  
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Posts: 8,806
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dajia Cycleworks Shallow Drop Handlebar - Handlebars - Components

perfect bar, but the last bend on the tops is too tight (twss) to get the stem around. the way it needs to turn to access the "skinny" part on the bottom of the stem clamp causes the quill to hit the bottom section of the drop. maybe if i sawed off 1/2" and took the bolt out it could turn around but im not really in the mood to go butchering this thing for experimentation.

i have a stem that i can force around it, it just isnt as pretty. first world problems is all

related: campy levers are really ****ing annoying to access the bolt for the band clamp. im never taking these off or moving them again.
Mumonkan is offline  
Old 06-12-15, 01:07 PM
  #12105  
Unkle Rico
Senior Member
 
Unkle Rico's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: dEnVeR
Posts: 1,684

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm.. So maybe try a different set of bars then?

Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
Dajia Cycleworks Shallow Drop Handlebar - Handlebars - Components

perfect bar, but the last bend on the tops is too tight (twss) to get the stem around. the way it needs to turn to access the "skinny" part on the bottom of the stem clamp causes the quill to hit the bottom section of the drop. maybe if i sawed off 1/2" and took the bolt out it could turn around but im not really in the mood to go butchering this thing for experimentation.

i have a stem that i can force around it, it just isnt as pretty. first world problems is all

related: campy levers are really ****ing annoying to access the bolt for the band clamp. im never taking these off or moving them again.
Unkle Rico is offline  
Old 06-12-15, 03:40 PM
  #12106  
TheRealFaux
Senior Member
 
TheRealFaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,108
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
What did you get?
Van Dessel Hellafaster, 1st gen from 2008 I think.
TheRealFaux is offline  
Old 06-12-15, 04:03 PM
  #12107  
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Posts: 8,806
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unkle Rico View Post
Hmm.. So maybe try a different set of bars then?
nah im not gonna throw more money at it, my original plan didnt work but i have the parts to get as close to it as i can. i like the bars too, the stem was really just an aesthetic thing. not really a big deal just a letdown
Mumonkan is offline  
Old 06-12-15, 08:56 PM
  #12108  
carmavore
Member
 
carmavore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 39

Bikes: Schwinn Traveler, All-City Macho Man, State Bicycle Black Label

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I built my first wheel! WOOOP Pretty happy

Building rear on Monday

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5676.jpg (84.3 KB, 6 views)
carmavore is offline  
Old 06-13-15, 06:23 AM
  #12109  
IAmSam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
just went to LBS to see if they could do some magic to get 600 stem onto the bars i have, no dice.

so much for full 600. gonna have to rock the crappo kalloy stem. maybe ill get some polishing dealios for the dremel and polish a turd

now, what to do with a NOS 600 stem in perfect condition...maybe i should start selling some of these bike parts ive been hoarding. theres 2 boxes now.
I just now went through very similar situation. My aging back no longer plays well with the classic drops on my road bike so I am switching to a short reach, shallow drop bar with very tight curves. Thank god my stem, which I definitely did not want to change, while it has a wide clamp - its not cast, so I was able to pry it pretty wide open and managed to force the new bar through. But I did scratch the hell out of it...
IAmSam is offline  
Old 06-13-15, 12:52 PM
  #12110  
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF
Posts: 10,474

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lol
Nagrom_ is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 07:52 AM
  #12111  
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Posts: 8,806
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
today im almost 30. gonna go ride in the woods.
Mumonkan is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 08:10 AM
  #12112  
Kindaslow
Senior Member
 
Kindaslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattlish
Posts: 2,751

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
today im almost 30. gonna go ride in the woods.
Only a year younger than my oldest...And, I will be out riding an amazing section of rail trail with super cool tunnels. I sure hope the new headlight works well.
Kindaslow is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 11:22 AM
  #12113  
TenSpeedV2
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,349

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
Hunting for a cell phone pouch to throw on my chrome bag. Anyone have recommendations for one that will fit an s5. Something durable.
I am still there, only with a Note 3. Chrome is working on making a bigger pouch for those of us not using tiny phones. The Chicago hub had a few custom made ones but they were not in all black. The guy said they will be available online soon. In the mean time, I have this one: Clip Case Sideways on a suggestion from another member here. It works, but I don't like it. I have the large to fit this effin huge phone in, and when I close it, the volume up and down buttons get pushed somehow and it pisses me off. As for rugged, ehhhh. As for waterproof, no. C'mon Chrome, get it going!!
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 11:30 AM
  #12114  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 View Post
I am still there, only with a Note 3. Chrome is working on making a bigger pouch for those of us not using tiny phones. The Chicago hub had a few custom made ones but they were not in all black. The guy said they will be available online soon. In the mean time, I have this one: Clip Case Sideways on a suggestion from another member here. It works, but I don't like it. I have the large to fit this effin huge phone in, and when I close it, the volume up and down buttons get pushed somehow and it pisses me off. As for rugged, ehhhh. As for waterproof, no. C'mon Chrome, get it going!!
I'm looking at that case as well. I can tolerate something that isn't waterproof, but I agree, chrome needs to make a pouch for something other than iphones.
My main concern, that of any fakenger, is that I can fit my phone and my boombotix on my bag.
I hate having phone in pocket, and it's annoying to dig through my bag when I need to gps something.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 11:30 AM
  #12115  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 View Post
I am still there, only with a Note 3. Chrome is working on making a bigger pouch for those of us not using tiny phones. The Chicago hub had a few custom made ones but they were not in all black. The guy said they will be available online soon. In the mean time, I have this one: Clip Case Sideways on a suggestion from another member here. It works, but I don't like it. I have the large to fit this effin huge phone in, and when I close it, the volume up and down buttons get pushed somehow and it pisses me off. As for rugged, ehhhh. As for waterproof, no. C'mon Chrome, get it going!!
I'm looking at that case as well. I can tolerate something that isn't waterproof, but I agree, chrome needs to make a pouch for something other than iphones.
My main concern, that of any fakenger, is that I can fit my phone and my boombotix on my bag.
I hate having phone in pocket, and it's annoying to dig through my bag when I need to gps something.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 12:14 PM
  #12116  
Muffin Man
:)
 
Muffin Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,419

Bikes: Gaulzetti Interclub, Cannondale CAAD12, Corex President

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
Lol
Lol
Muffin Man is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 12:32 PM
  #12117  
TenSpeedV2
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,349

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
I'm looking at that case as well. I can tolerate something that isn't waterproof, but I agree, chrome needs to make a pouch for something other than iphones.
My main concern, that of any fakenger, is that I can fit my phone and my boombotix on my bag.
I hate having phone in pocket, and it's annoying to dig through my bag when I need to gps something.
That is my same set up. Boombotix Rex and my Note 3 on a Chrome bag. That case sits pretty high up and since it is so big, my face hits it when I am checking over my shoulder. I miss having my smaller Moto X and Chrome pouch that fit perfectly.
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 05:22 PM
  #12118  
TenSpeedV2
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,349

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Super super late to the game, but I finally loaded a custom ROM on my phone. Had a Note 3, regrettably took the Lollipop update OTA and have suffered since then. Had enough, so I researched. Once you take that, you are done. No rolling back to Kit Kat. That avenue is just shut down, permanently. Alright, screw it, hate Lollipop enough, get another Note 3 on Swappa, this time, rooted, running a custom ROM on 4.2.2 and very stable. I got it the other day, and the ROM is alright. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it prevented any type of forced update to this piece of garbage Lollipop that Verizon OK'd.

I have effed with phones most of my life, from the old Motorola RAZR to jailbreaking iPhones back in the day. Was always hesitant to mess with ROM's on Android. With the help of a friend and a really detailed YouTube video, I got it up and running. This is a majorly debloated version of Kit Kat with all the garbage removed. No Verizon or Amazon apps along with limited Google stuff. Runs pretty well so far. Stock appearing but customized ever so slightly. Pretty damn happy about it honestly, happy that I didn't brick it, and happy that I don't have to worry about the nagging auto update and forced garbage from Verizon.
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 05:27 PM
  #12119  
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Posts: 8,806
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iirc droid is the the most ****-with-able and i havent heard of any tales of bricked phones. my cousin is a diehard droid user and mods his phones out the wazoo soon as he brings it home from the store

today i did 30 miles of dirt. i love mountain biking. i love getting rad offroad. i love being stoked about rides with 10mph avg speed. i love lamp.
Mumonkan is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 05:55 PM
  #12120  
rex615
canis lupus familiaris
 
rex615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,254

Bikes: En plus one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I rode a fixed century on the Silver Comet in Atlanta. Love that trail.
rex615 is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 08:09 PM
  #12121  
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF
Posts: 10,474

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
i
today i did 30 miles of dirt. i love mountain biking. i love getting rad offroad. i love being stoked about rides with 10mph avg speed. i love lamp.
its why i stopped road biking.

fun per mile is way better.
Nagrom_ is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 08:55 PM
  #12122  
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 20,010

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 473 Posts
Today I finished my first 600k brevet. Not fixed, though...
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 09:14 PM
  #12123  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 34,082

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5156 Post(s)
Liked 836 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
i think a road/cross bike would ride and feel like garbage with a suspension fork. but ill never know cuz im not about to buy one
Probably only has 40mm of travel, I don't think it would be too bad as long as it's damped well.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 09:41 PM
  #12124  
Hothead286
Senior Member
 
Hothead286's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 View Post
Super super late to the game, but I finally loaded a custom ROM on my phone. Had a Note 3, regrettably took the Lollipop update OTA and have suffered since then. Had enough, so I researched. Once you take that, you are done. No rolling back to Kit Kat. That avenue is just shut down, permanently. Alright, screw it, hate Lollipop enough, get another Note 3 on Swappa, this time, rooted, running a custom ROM on 4.2.2 and very stable. I got it the other day, and the ROM is alright. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it prevented any type of forced update to this piece of garbage Lollipop that Verizon OK'd.

I have effed with phones most of my life, from the old Motorola RAZR to jailbreaking iPhones back in the day. Was always hesitant to mess with ROM's on Android. With the help of a friend and a really detailed YouTube video, I got it up and running. This is a majorly debloated version of Kit Kat with all the garbage removed. No Verizon or Amazon apps along with limited Google stuff. Runs pretty well so far. Stock appearing but customized ever so slightly. Pretty damn happy about it honestly, happy that I didn't brick it, and happy that I don't have to worry about the nagging auto update and forced garbage from Verizon.
I used to do this a few years ago with my OG Droid, I miss that phone. What ROM are you using?

Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
its why i stopped road biking.

fun per mile is way better.
I like mountain biking a lot, but I think I'm really bad at it. Any moderate drop or steep switchback I wig out.
Hothead286 is offline  
Old 06-14-15, 09:59 PM
  #12125  
SpeshulEd 
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hothead286 View Post
I like mountain biking a lot, but I think I'm really bad at it. Any moderate drop or steep switchback I wig out.
I'm so incredibly bad at mountain biking...I like to think that I'm fairly decent riding road bikes and fixed gears so I get this false confidence on the mountain bike...then I hit a slight incline, mess up my gearing and end up having to walk up the hill in shame. I walk up a lot of hills in shame. And the hills I do make it, I do so slowly that I could have just walked them anyway. Then after the first 5 miles my legs hurt, my heart rate becomes pegged at 180+bpm, and I just want to die and guzzle water the whole time. But damn is it ever fun.

On a side note, my partner N+1'd today - it needs a little help, but overall not a bad bike:
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.