Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 11-18-19, 05:26 AM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've used skateboard grip tape and an used inner tube. The inner tube worked well, but it was a pain in the *** to get it on.
The set I use now have the rough paint texture on the grips.
Old 11-18-19, 06:42 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
electrical shrink wrap
grip tape
electrical tape + spray adhesive + sand
hammered (textured) paint
3d printed grips
hockey tape
nothing + chalk
nothing + gloves

sort of depends on the bars. Hockey tape is probably the tackiest "tape" that you can remove pretty easily without making a mess.
Old 11-18-19, 10:24 AM
AmahlAmahlAmahl

Bikes: Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Huskey
I've used skateboard grip tape and an used inner tube. The inner tube worked well, but it was a pain in the *** to get it on.
The set I use now have the rough paint texture on the grips.
Can I see photos?
Old 11-18-19, 02:36 PM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AmahlAmahlAmahl
Can I see photos?

Not the best pic, this is from when I sold them.

I actually even put double sided tape under the innertube after getting them on. Once they're on the bars you can roll it back stick the tape on and roll the inner tube back down. Wasn't really needed but I noticed over a lot of standing starts they were twisting a bit, even though you couldn't feel it.

Tbh I would just use grip tape, a lot easier.
Old 11-27-19, 09:14 PM
AmahlAmahlAmahl

Originally Posted by Huskey

Not the best pic, this is from when I sold them.

I actually even put double sided tape under the innertube after getting them on. Once they're on the bars you can roll it back stick the tape on and roll the inner tube back down. Wasn't really needed but I noticed over a lot of standing starts they were twisting a bit, even though you couldn't feel it.

Tbh I would just use grip tape, a lot easier.
My bars just came in the mail and I listen to your advice and I put grip tape on the extensions.

My next question, where can I found aero plugs for my extensions and base bar?
Old 11-28-19, 02:02 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
My bars just came in the mail and I listen to your advice and I put grip tape on the extensions.

My next question, where can I found aero plugs for my extensions and base bar?
You can order these directly from Profile. They come in a number of styles and are very cheap. I couldn't find them listed anywhere a few years ago, so I emailed Profile. Super helpful people.
Old 12-02-19, 08:38 AM
Morelock

So I'm starting to accumulate some bigger chainrings (55+) but running into the issue of not having a good way to transport them. My old reliable chainring/cog bag won't take anything that big. Would prefer not to have them floating free in my big bag :/
Thoughts/Suggestions?
Old 12-02-19, 04:01 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
I use a laptop bag as my gear bag these days. I have cardboard folio things to separate the rings and it's big enough for all of my tools and spares and they come with a shoulder strap which is handy for transport as well. The bag easily accommodates my 60t and I think a 70t would fit as well (15" laptop bag). I outgrew my track bag as soon as I went 55+. There are some nice track bags from companies like skingrowsback that accommodate big rings if you want to stick with that style, but my laptop bag cost me all of $15
Old 12-02-19, 08:55 PM
R3drider

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Hi! New to the forum, somewhat new to track racing (but pretty experienced as a rider, I've gone ultra distance fixed)... Looking forward to my second season.

I'm looking into picking up a new frame for next year, due to my current frame being a bit small, as in I can't fit it within uci regs for mass start (I may keep that frame for tt only). I expect to focus on mostly Sprint events as they seem to suit me. Due to being 6' 3" with kinda long arms I need a long bike that's not obscenely expensive. I've narrowed it down to 2 that will fit and am looking for opinions as to which might be the better frame.

So Dixie Flyer vs Look 875 Madison.

I'm currently leaning towards the Look solely based on warranty/crash protection. Really like the look of the DF though.

Any info on either bike would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-02-19, 09:07 PM
R3drider

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Hi! New to the forum, somewhat new to track racing (but pretty experienced as a rider, I've gone ultra distance fixed)... Looking forward to my second season.

I'm looking into picking up a new frame for next year, due to my current frame being a bit small, as in I can't fit it within uci regs for mass start (I may keep that frame for tt only). I expect to focus on mostly Sprint events as they seem to suit me. Due to being 6' 3" with kinda long arms I need a long bike that's not obscenely expensive. I've narrowed it down to 2 that will fit and am looking for opinions as to which might be the better frame.

So Dixie Flyer vs Look 875 Madison.

I'm currently leaning towards the Look solely based on warranty/crash protection. Really like the look of the DF though.

Any info on either bike would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-03-19, 04:53 AM
mling1985
Newbie cyclist

Bikes: Tarmac SL6, Neilpryde Bayamo, Dolan TC1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see a lot of posters speak very highly of the dura ace 7600 hubs, but don't really know exactly why. What are the advantages of dura ace hubs over something like the formula hubs? Is it to do with performance or is it more to do with build quality etc? Thanks
Old 12-03-19, 06:06 AM
Morelock

Some of it is build quality. Some of it is that they are approved "NJS" (which people often equate to durability, although that's not particularly true)

Maybe the biggest difference is that the 7600 are "tuneable" for track (I've done it for some people, getting rid of the seals, using very low friction grease, "better" ball bearings, adjusting the "tightness") which is much harder to do on a sealed cartridge bearing. It's also not something I'd recommend doing unless you were doing it for one big race where every fraction of a second mattered.

Both are going to be fine. (If they are used 7600 hubs however previous user wear is something to be aware of... worn cups/cones/bearings can be expensive to fix) Modern times for most people, sealed cartridge is just easier to live with.
Likes For Morelock:
Old 12-03-19, 06:07 AM
Morelock

brawlo hadn't thought of that... I probably have a laptop bag laying around somewhere.
Old 12-03-19, 06:55 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
So I'm starting to accumulate some bigger chainrings (55+) but running into the issue of not having a good way to transport them. My old reliable chainring/cog bag won't take anything that big. Would prefer not to have them floating free in my big bag :/
Thoughts/Suggestions?
The Track Assistant looks nice. It can hold 8 rings: https://www.thetrackassistant.com/

I have the regular BLS bag and can fit 7 rings in there, but it's tight. Supposedly it will fit a 60, but I don't think I'd be able to double up rings in the slots like I do with a 60. The larger BLS bag also fits 8 rings.

Originally Posted by mling1985
I see a lot of posters speak very highly of the dura ace 7600 hubs, but don't really know exactly why. What are the advantages of dura ace hubs over something like the formula hubs? Is it to do with performance or is it more to do with build quality etc? Thanks
Nothing. Go with Formula. My 7600 hubs have been a PIA. Should never have bought them used.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 12-03-19, 02:39 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Nothing. Go with Formula. My 7600 hubs have been a PIA. Should never have bought them used.
Yeah, my DA 7600 hubs were nice when new. But, they require maintenance and tuning after a couple of years. When they get a lot of miles on them or the grip nuts get mashed-down, the tolerances get wonky and you'll have a number of issues.

For worry-free use, use sealed hubs, as topflightpro suggests.
Likes For carleton:
Old 12-03-19, 06:50 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Some of it is build quality. Some of it is that they are approved "NJS" (which people often equate to durability, although that's not particularly true)

Maybe the biggest difference is that the 7600 are "tuneable" for track (I've done it for some people, getting rid of the seals, using very low friction grease, "better" ball bearings, adjusting the "tightness") which is much harder to do on a sealed cartridge bearing. It's also not something I'd recommend doing unless you were doing it for one big race where every fraction of a second mattered.

Both are going to be fine. (If they are used 7600 hubs however previous user wear is something to be aware of... worn cups/cones/bearings can be expensive to fix) Modern times for most people, sealed cartridge is just easier to live with.
Ah that brings back memories. When I had a big time trial, I’d do all of the above AND remove one bearing from each side. It was supposed to reduce bearing-on-bearing friction. Not sure if it actually worked, but it helped to psych me up.
Old 12-04-19, 03:45 AM
mling1985
Newbie cyclist

Bikes: Tarmac SL6, Neilpryde Bayamo, Dolan TC1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by topflightpro

Originally Posted by carleton
Yeah, my DA 7600 hubs were nice when new. But, they require maintenance and tuning after a couple of years. When they get a lot of miles on them or the grip nuts get mashed-down, the tolerances get wonky and you'll have a number of issues.

Thanks guys!! so awesome to have a place like this to ask questions for newbies like me
Old 12-04-19, 04:14 AM
tobukog

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
The "heavy version". The light will be sub7.
Old 12-04-19, 04:56 AM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tobukog
The "heavy version". The light will be sub7.
is that an old Araya track disck wheel?
Old 12-04-19, 05:10 AM
tobukog

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
is that an old Araya track disck wheel?
Old Araya discs are about 850g.
Old 12-04-19, 10:00 AM
AmahlAmahlAmahl

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
You can order these directly from Profile. They come in a number of styles and are very cheap. I couldn't find them listed anywhere a few years ago, so I emailed Profile. Super helpful people.
Thanks. I did order a pair. I also found a guy on eBay selling 3d printed aero plugs for the base bar.
Old 12-04-19, 10:07 AM
AmahlAmahlAmahl

Originally Posted by carleton

Yes! I bought them used from NJS Export and the cones were mildly pitted. Just get a hub that uses sealed bearings... It's less of a headache.
Old 12-05-19, 04:22 PM
AmahlAmahlAmahl

What's the difference between the Origin and Science Track SRM Power Meters? I use a Power Control 7 computer.
Old 12-06-19, 05:04 AM
Morelock

What's the difference between the Origin and Science Track SRM Power Meters? I use a Power Control 7 computer.
The main stuff
- Available Crankarm lengths (more "arms" on the science and you can buy shorter arms, but you get the look style adjustable 170/172/175 on the origin)
- Different Bottom Bracket Standard
- +/- 1% accuracy on the Origin vs. .5% Science
- Maybe the biggest, you can recharge the Origin, vs having to send the science off to SRM to have the battery changed (or hacking / soldering a new battery in yourself)

If the crankarm length and Q-factor will work with the Origin, it's a lot easier to live with vs. the Science.

*Something random I noticed perusing SRM's site lately is that they now offer a "rechargeable battery" upgrade to existing SRM's, including the track models. A bit pricey, but so is shipping your SRM off every year or so.
Old 12-06-19, 08:40 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I sent one of my SRMs in a couple weeks ago for a new battery. They offered to switch me to rechargable for $450. I opted to just go with the batter replacement and leave it as is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.