Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Surly Frame Sizes

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Surly Frame Sizes

Old 01-03-20, 10:02 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts
Surly Frame Sizes

Years ago, I owned an early Surly Pugsley Meduim frame and it had a reach that was too long for me and I had to get rid of it. (they didn't sell a small size at the time)

I'm now looking to purchase a Surly Wednesday or Ice Cream Truck but I'm concerned about the fit. The bike shop said that the Pugsley were known for being long for their frame size.

Now, I'm 5'4" on a good day and have an older mountain bike (non fat bike) that is a 15" frame and it fits pretty well for me.

So the question is if I purchase a small frame Pugsley or ICT small frame are there any fit considerations or "gotchyas" that I need to be concerned about?

I don't want another misfit bike.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-20, 08:13 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Years ago, I owned an early Surly Pugsley Meduim frame and it had a reach that was too long for me and I had to get rid of it. (they didn't sell a small size at the time)

I'm now looking to purchase a Surly Wednesday or Ice Cream Truck but I'm concerned about the fit. The bike shop said that the Pugsley were known for being long for their frame size.

Now, I'm 5'4" on a good day and have an older mountain bike (non fat bike) that is a 15" frame and it fits pretty well for me.

So the question is if I purchase a small frame Pugsley or ICT small frame are there any fit considerations or "gotchyas" that I need to be concerned about?

I don't want another misfit bike.

Thanks!
Measure the frame reach and stack (google it) of the bike that fits well and compare it to the geometry chart for the Wednesday.

But keep in mind that the small Wed is designed around a stem in the 60mm range. So you will need to measure your current stem.

If you want more help, get those stack and reach measurements, along with your stem measurement, and report back.

If reach and stack are too hard to measure (you will need a level and preferably a plumb line) them measure the EFFECTIVE top tube length (google it) and use that.

Advice given without this info is pretty worthless, IMO.

Some people find the Wed run small, I found they run big for me.

Last edited by Kapusta; 01-05-20 at 08:20 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-07-20, 09:34 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts
Thanks Kap! Good information.
Learned that the availability is limited anyhow, so my purchase is delayed.