Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 01-16-20, 06:14 AM
  #5751  
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,839
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts
One note on CycleOps bikes: The early ones were fixed gear. They moved to freewheel in the past few years. You can convert the freewheel to fixed gear with a kit from CycleOps.
carleton is offline  
Old 01-16-20, 09:42 AM
  #5752  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,393

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
But use a lockring.

Not many things scarier when the cog comes loose from back pedaling out on a road with traffic and stop signs.
I've backed a cog on the track exactly once (I don't remember now if I forgot to put a lock-ring on or was in a rush and intentionally skipped it), and that was unsettling enough. Imagining it on the open road is pretty terrifying.
Flatballer is offline  
Old 01-16-20, 01:50 PM
  #5753  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,168

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel View Post
It's a long shot but have you asked Simsbury airport if you could use their runway during off hours?

When I lived in LA I used my companies parking lots for fixed gear riding.
Ha I didn't ask, but I live about half mile away from it in a straight line. Based on having a brake I figure Rentschler Field would be one spot. Even the road next to Simsbury airport, although there's traffic. Rails to Trails, but any off road excursions would be terrible due to poison ivy everywhere. Driveway to Amazon is really long. Etc.
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 01-17-20, 07:35 AM
  #5754  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,839
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 156 Posts
There's a very large office park near me. I frequently drive there with the track bike to do various workouts. It's pretty much dead on the weekends. The biggest challenge I face there is deer.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 01-17-20, 12:47 PM
  #5755  
700wheel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Shoe Insoles

I came across a YouTube video touting carbon insoles claiming they increase performance.
Are any of you using these and if so what is your perception?

I'm curious because started using Specialized Body Geometry Blue (++) insoles after a recent bike fit to better align my legs.
700wheel is offline  
Old 01-17-20, 12:50 PM
  #5756  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,839
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 156 Posts
I have them. I have custom shoes because my feet are so wide at the toe box, but narrow at the heels. There is a rather thin pad over the carbon, but it's not much padding.

I really like them.

I can't say whether they improve performance, but they certain improve my comfort, which should help performance.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 06:20 PM
  #5757  
Gingerdamous
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hed 3C tri spoke track adaptors

Been looking around a good but and keep coming up empty...sadly.
Has anyone on here seen Hed track adaptors, or any adaptors that would work with trispokes, around anywhere? The rear in particular. . .

These would be for velodrome use, so ideally the adaptor would be meant for the application.

Sorry if this is somewhere else in the 230pages of replies, I just never saw it.
Gingerdamous is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 09:02 PM
  #5758  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,168

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Gingerdamous View Post
Been looking around a good but and keep coming up empty...sadly.
Has anyone on here seen Hed track adaptors, or any adaptors that would work with trispokes, around anywhere? The rear in particular. . .

These would be for velodrome use, so ideally the adaptor would be meant for the application.

Sorry if this is somewhere else in the 230pages of replies, I just never saw it.
I am pretty sure they don't exist.

I looked for many years. I gambled on the Surrly Fixie working but the issue is that the freehub body for the TriSpoke is a Dura Ace, and the one fixed gear conversion kit (Surrly Fixie) works with 105/Ultegra. The freehub body attachment thread is totally different between the DA and the 105/Ult. HED had a kit for their wheels (HED3) but I don't know what freehub system they used and regardless I think the kits are gone now.

There is a fixed gear thing that screws onto the freewheel threads (of any freewheel wheel) but it can unscrew, which defeats the purpose of the lockring threads. I suppose you could epoxy it in place? I don't know the rules on that.

For the front wheel you can just buy a solid axle and put the same bearing dust cap axle nut things on the new axle. If you want you can use a skewer-type nut-bolt kit to hold the front wheel on (so instead of being a QR it's a long Allen bolt). I have those as well, mainly for front wheel use, but since I have solid front axles that's what I have on my TriSpoke. In fact I ran a track axle front TriSpoke for a few years on my road bike only because I didn't feel like taking 5 min to switch to the QR axle.
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 01-22-20, 10:14 AM
  #5759  
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,572

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
the fixed gear thing that screws onto freewheel threads is designed to put your cog onto the correct chainline (distance from the bike's centerline). you could loctite it on and get some insurance against unscrewing it while backpedaling, i guess. though worth noting that plenty of track racers don't bother with lockrings in the first place.
queerpunk is offline  
Old 03-05-20, 11:54 AM
  #5760  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,499

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 215 Posts
Does anyone use a short-tail TT helmet for mass start track stuff? My Giro Selector (that I use in TT) pisses me off and I'm considering trying a shorter tail helmet like the Kask Bambino or POC Cerebel. Would it be weird to use these in a scratch race, for example?
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Old 03-05-20, 12:16 PM
  #5761  
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,572

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
Does anyone use a short-tail TT helmet for mass start track stuff? My Giro Selector (that I use in TT) pisses me off and I'm considering trying a shorter tail helmet like the Kask Bambino or POC Cerebel. Would it be weird to use these in a scratch race, for example?
both helmets are super common.
queerpunk is offline  
Likes For queerpunk:
Old 03-05-20, 12:48 PM
  #5762  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,839
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 156 Posts
I have a Bambino. I tried it for some Mass Start events when I first got it, but it didn't work for me. It was just too hot. There is little to no ventilation in it, and in the heat and humidity, it was killing me. I even stopped wearing it in sprints for that reason. I've gone to a Kask Utopia to wear during any mass start events and hot sprints. I will use the Giro Aerohead for F200s and Kilos.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 03-18-20, 05:04 AM
  #5763  
Morelock
Senior Member
 
Morelock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
This may be super random and off topic... not sure who/where to ask though.

I've been making some parts lately (carbon/kevlar) that will end up load bearing (narrow drop handlebars, aero extensions, stem/bar combos, etc... you know, not parts you want to fail) I'm definitely not a newbie with composites generally (automotive) but most of that requires a fair bit less stringent testing.

So, besides sending parts off to be tested (I know one German company that does so but it doesn't really make sense for basically 1 offs) what are some other options for safety testing? Static load isn't terribly hard (basically load it up with weight or a hydraulic press) but dynamic I'm not sure of... I mounted one bar to a pullup bar and did pullups on it... but that seemed rather crude... is there a rough guideline of "if it handles this much static it can handle xxx dynamic?"
Morelock is offline  
Old 03-18-20, 05:40 PM
  #5764  
taras0000
Senior Member
 
taras0000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 43.2330941,-79.8022037,17
Posts: 1,718
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock View Post
This may be super random and off topic... not sure who/where to ask though.

I've been making some parts lately (carbon/kevlar) that will end up load bearing (narrow drop handlebars, aero extensions, stem/bar combos, etc... you know, not parts you want to fail) I'm definitely not a newbie with composites generally (automotive) but most of that requires a fair bit less stringent testing.

So, besides sending parts off to be tested (I know one German company that does so but it doesn't really make sense for basically 1 offs) what are some other options for safety testing? Static load isn't terribly hard (basically load it up with weight or a hydraulic press) but dynamic I'm not sure of... I mounted one bar to a pullup bar and did pullups on it... but that seemed rather crude... is there a rough guideline of "if it handles this much static it can handle xxx dynamic?"
Static vs dynamic loads are going to be dependant on material. Handlebars don't really see a true dynamic load. Dynamic load is usually used to refer to shock loading, vs static being a fairly constant load. The only time that a handlebar would see any true dynamic load is in a crash. Otherwise the forces being exerted on a handlebar basically change in a pretty uniform and constant manner. Us humans aren't capable of creating a true dynamic or shock loading on something without introducing slack and momentum into the equation, which is something that doesn't happen if your hands are already on the bars.
​​​​​
i would maybe focus testing on cycles and fatigue limits.
taras0000 is offline  
Likes For taras0000:
Old 03-19-20, 05:40 AM
  #5765  
Morelock
Senior Member
 
Morelock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
taras0000 Very helpful, thanks.

Cycles are tough to do without specific machinery. For the fully custom parts (as in, starting from a mold and building up from scratch) I was thinking I might send one to the ACT lab for stem/bar fatigue tests.
For some of the "semi custom" parts (that is, taking an existing whatever and modifying it, like narrowing drop bars or combining stem/bars) I don't think that would help as validation, since even if you made 2 of the same thing, there would be innate differences that you couldn't control/account for (curing, initial damages due to cutting/bonding) from 1 to 2. I suppose that's more akin to a repair than in that regard. Not sure if that's possible to really test repeatably. (and if you go too far testing a 1 off... it becomes unusable from the stress of the testing)
Morelock is offline  
Old 03-24-20, 07:01 AM
  #5766  
Pole Line Stand
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I presently use a Selle Flite saddle which I have in a full aft position. I need to get another centimeter more on the position. Can anyone recommend a saddle with a bit more setback then a conventional saddle? I don't want to go with the snub nose saddles like ISM. It was mentioned the Fizik saddles
may have a bit more aft but just looking at the saddle ads I really can't ascertain if there is any difference.

Thanks
Pole Line Stand is offline  
Old 03-24-20, 07:36 AM
  #5767  
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,572

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
A Selle Italia Flite is a very "forward" saddle - the rails are short and the sweetspot of it is pretty far forward.

If you're comfortable on the saddle, you could get a seatpost with more setback. If you're looking at Fizik saddles - the Arione is a long saddle with lots of fore/aft adjustment: both longer rails than the Flite, and a much larger zone of adjustment w/r/t sitting on the saddle itself.
queerpunk is offline  
Old 03-24-20, 12:39 PM
  #5768  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,168

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
SRM track cranks question.

I went to install my 24mm axle Origin cranks (alum arms). The spindle appears to be about 5mm too long, i.e. the crank arm is all the way on the spindle and I can move the whole arm/spindle assembly left and right about 5mm.

Arms are all the way on the spindle, meaning the spacer sleeve is flush with the crank arm flat area (under the crank arm bolt), the spindle end is flush with that as well.

The drive side appears to be fixed, meaning I don't mess with it?

If I slide the whole assembly to the right, the left arm sits nicely against the BB shell and looks proper. But if I seat the drive side all the way the left arm moves to the left.

The spacer sleeves (to space out the 24mm spindle to 30mm) came with two very thin o-rings, maybe 1-2mm thick. They're meant to pick up any slack if the spindle is moving side to side but it's moving a solid 5mm if not a touch more, much more than the o-rings would fill.

It almost seems like I need to use a headset spacer to fill the gap, but that doesn't seem right.

Is there something I missed?
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 03-24-20, 01:53 PM
  #5769  
Pole Line Stand
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk View Post
A Selle Italia Flite is a very "forward" saddle - the rails are short and the sweetspot of it is pretty far forward.

If you're comfortable on the saddle, you could get a seatpost with more setback. If you're looking at Fizik saddles - the Arione is a long saddle with lots of fore/aft adjustment: both longer rails than the Flite, and a much larger zone of adjustment w/r/t sitting on the saddle itself.
I'll look into, thanks
Pole Line Stand is offline  
Old 03-24-20, 03:18 PM
  #5770  
Morelock
Senior Member
 
Morelock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
SRM track cranks question.

I went to install my 24mm axle Origin cranks (alum arms). The spindle appears to be about 5mm too long, i.e. the crank arm is all the way on the spindle and I can move the whole arm/spindle assembly left and right about 5mm.

Arms are all the way on the spindle, meaning the spacer sleeve is flush with the crank arm flat area (under the crank arm bolt), the spindle end is flush with that as well.

The drive side appears to be fixed, meaning I don't mess with it?

If I slide the whole assembly to the right, the left arm sits nicely against the BB shell and looks proper. But if I seat the drive side all the way the left arm moves to the left.

The spacer sleeves (to space out the 24mm spindle to 30mm) came with two very thin o-rings, maybe 1-2mm thick. They're meant to pick up any slack if the spindle is moving side to side but it's moving a solid 5mm if not a touch more, much more than the o-rings would fill.

It almost seems like I need to use a headset spacer to fill the gap, but that doesn't seem right.

Is there something I missed?
Indeed that doesn't sound right. The spacer/shims should only reduce minor amounts of play between frame specs. What bike/bb standard and pictures would help.

Just to eliminate the Occam's Razor... You got the 24mm Spindle and not the 30mm right?
Morelock is offline  
Old 03-24-20, 10:24 PM
  #5771  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,168

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock View Post
Indeed that doesn't sound right. The spacer/shims should only reduce minor amounts of play between frame specs. What bike/bb standard and pictures would help.

Just to eliminate the Occam's Razor... You got the 24mm Spindle and not the 30mm right?
I think I did it right.

Dolan DF4. Rotor BB cups. 24mm spindle (steel, it's heavy). The spindle requires a spacer so the left arm fits, otherwise the opening in the arm is way too big.
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 03-24-20, 10:39 PM
  #5772  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,168

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
I think I did it right.

Dolan DF4. Rotor BB cups. 24mm spindle (steel, it's heavy). The spindle requires a spacer so the left arm fits, otherwise the opening in the arm is way too big.


arm fully seated



spindle pushed all the way to the drive side



spindle pushed all the way to the left side (non drive side)
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 05:30 AM
  #5773  
Morelock
Senior Member
 
Morelock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
carpediemracing
I'm not totally up to date on the SRM Origin... so everything that follows may or may not be accurate.
Have you contacted SRM to make sure that the Track Origin works with the 24mm spindle and rotor track bottom bracket?
I ask because on my (track specific) P2M NGECO (on my Fuji Track Elite) I was not able to use the Rotor Track BB + 24mm spindle, I had to use the Road Axle with the regular BSA30 bottom bracket.

It sounded wrong to me when I was buying it, but the guy at Powermetercity I spoke with said that if I bought the shorter spindle + track BB (which is what made sense to me) it wouldn't fit.
Again, not sure if that that applies to the SRM, but I'm guessing it might.
Morelock is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 07:22 AM
  #5774  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,168

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock View Post
carpediemracing
I'm not totally up to date on the SRM Origin... so everything that follows may or may not be accurate.
Have you contacted SRM to make sure that the Track Origin works with the 24mm spindle and rotor track bottom bracket?
I ask because on my (track specific) P2M NGECO (on my Fuji Track Elite) I was not able to use the Rotor Track BB + 24mm spindle, I had to use the Road Axle with the regular BSA30 bottom bracket.

It sounded wrong to me when I was buying it, but the guy at Powermetercity I spoke with said that if I bought the shorter spindle + track BB (which is what made sense to me) it wouldn't fit.
Again, not sure if that that applies to the SRM, but I'm guessing it might.
Hm thanks. It sounds like this might be a possibility. SRM supplied the spindle (it comes pre-installed in the spider) but the BB compatibility is the bit I don't know. I'll have to call them.
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 07:55 PM
  #5775  
KrispyK
Member
 
KrispyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 28

Bikes: Bianchi superpista and boardwalk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
After watching a a bunch of worlds coverage and the GCN video of worlds bikes. Its seems as if a bunch of teams are running campy wheels. Is it because of sponsorship or other reasons?
KrispyK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.