Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Direction to remove drive side BB cup

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 11:04 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts

I want to remove the BB cup on an older BB. Do I turn towards the front of the bike to remove cup? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160129_232920.jpg (61.4 KB, 64 views)
20160129_232925.jpg (97.7 KB, 53 views)
20160129_232930.jpg (45.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-29-16, 11:23 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
It's stamped 1.37 x 24tpi which means English BB. Righty loosey on the right side of the bike, lefty loosey on the left side.
Old 01-29-16, 11:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
The problem with righty fighty/lefty lucky is that if the wrench handle is not placed as the writer of the statement intended then you do the opposite of what's wanted. Looking at the cup it's clockwise turning of the wrench to remove the drive side in this case. Do we know what clockwise means...? Another way to describe it is that the RH cup unthreads backwards compared to a light bulb's. Now do we understand? Andy.
Old 01-29-16, 11:56 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The problem with righty fighty/lefty lucky is that if the wrench handle is not placed as the writer of the statement intended then you do the opposite of what's wanted. Looking at the cup it's clockwise turning of the wrench to remove the drive side in this case. Do we know what clockwise means...? Another way to describe it is that the RH cup unthreads backwards compared to a light bulb's. Now do we understand? Andy.
I see your concern here, but I'll shed a tear of sadness for anyone who assumes that righty tight means to push toward the right on the wrench (no matter what orientation it is in). But maybe I have have an over-inflated faith in people.

I always remember it this way. For pedals, Right is Right(as in normal/correct/standard), left is wrong (as in abnormal), and for English BB's, it's the opposite of pedals.

-Jeremy
Old 01-30-16, 12:00 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Jeremy- You state the point I'm talking about with much ignorance, sorry to be so direct. If the wrench handle is above the work piece and you push it to the right you are loosening left hand threads. If the wrench handle is below the piece and you push to the right you tighten the left hand threaded piece. Now do you see the problem in not really describing the whole picture? Andy

maybe I am too harsh on Jeremy. So many people I come across in my work life (and internet one) only think with one tool reference. But as a shop guy for so many years I know the minute I assume on my customer's view of the world as being mine it will be my fault that when I told him how to fix something and he did the opposite it will be blamed on me. Not on his inability to understand simple rotational directions. Maybe it's the lack of analog clocks in schools. Yes, that's it! It's all the fault of our teachers. Andy (who's trying to make a point with sarcasm and poor humor)

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 01-30-16 at 12:08 AM. Reason: backing off (bad pun)
Old 01-30-16, 12:34 AM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually think you misunderstood my post. I knew exactly what you were saying from from the start, as I do in fact understand rotational directions. I was simply saying that I tend to (perhaps wrongly) trust that people would not make the silly mistake of assuming that Righty Tighty means "push to the right". I suppose if we're really concerned with non-mechanical people misunderstanding instructions, you could always say "If you are facing the right side of the bike, you want to turn the volume up on BB to loosen it, and if you're on the left side , turn the volume down to loosen it." Most people know how to work a radio, afterall. That way they won't even need to know clockwise/counterclockwise in order to do it correctly.

-Jeremy
Old 01-30-16, 06:46 AM
vintagerando

so, towards front of the bike....
Old 01-30-16, 07:09 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
so, towards front of the bike....
...with the wrench above the BB.
Old 01-30-16, 08:55 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
For English BB's, I remember it as opposites, or "left is right, and right is left", i.e. the left cup is a right hand (clockwise to tighten) thread, and vice versa. It also works if you start with the threading, e.g. the cup with the left hand thread is on the right. You can't get it backwards, but you do have to understand what left and right hand threads are.

Throwing pedals into the mix above is too confusing for me, so instead of a simple mnemonic trick, I start with a functional premise and reason it out from there. It's based on the old story (or myth) that the thread directions were chosen so the pedals would unscrew if the spindle ever seized while you were pedaling, sparing you from breaking your ankle. Substituting a wrench for your foot, this means that the loosening direction is the rotation you would get if you turned the cranks forward while holding the wrench level (or any other constant angle). Not the simplest to visualize but it's the one I find I have been able to remember the most consistently over the years.
Old 01-30-16, 09:15 AM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If that BB is english:

Stand in front of the driver side.... imagine how the BB axle moves when you are pedaling, the bearings move in the opposite direction (believe me). The BB cup tights in the same direction than the bearings move. Then obviously lose at the opposite direction... you put your tool and turn it clock wise to lose... or from the back of the bike to the front of the bike.

In italian BB... stand in front of the driver side cup, imagine how the BB moves when you are pedaling, bearings move in the opposite direction. The italian BB lose in the same direction than the ball bearings... that means clock counter wise. To lose the cup you put the tool and turn it from the front of the bike to the back of the bike.

Hope this helps better.
Old 01-30-16, 10:00 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
A simple question needing only a simple answer. But as with most threads here, the more people post the further from the truth you get.
Old 01-30-16, 10:04 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Jeremy- I'm glad you do know what my point is. When I reply to posts here I often am writing for others who look for their answers but might not be the OP themselves. I will say that your faith in peoples' ability to follow/understand directions and execute them with their hands is a noble one but often enough not seen in actual life.

I teach various bike mechanical clinics and often watch the students' hands do the opposite of what I direct them to do. This is why I feel the need to be specific to the rotational direction and not just which way to push on a wrench handle. I also use the various rotational direction sayings like "right's right and left's wrong" when talking with people BUT I make sure that they understand I'm not talking about wrench handle pushing. After 40 years of describing to my customers and students I still need to remember that many people never needed to do more then screw in a light bulb before in their life. IMO more and more people have had less and less hands on experiences WRT things mechanical, as the years go by. I've had a few people who I discuss this stuff with suggest that the advent of the digital clock (and radio for that matter) and the interweb produces people with less and less understanding of things like rotational directions.

Thanks for not taking my previously direct comments too personally. Andy.
Old 01-30-16, 02:17 PM
vintagerando

Stay tuned to see if I actually get the cup off...ohhh, goodness the anticipation.....................
Old 01-30-16, 02:27 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
My rule of thumb for BB cups like that is to place the wrench so that it is facing toward the front of the bike. Push down on the wrench. As simple as that
Old 01-30-16, 03:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Stay tuned to see if I actually get the cup off...ohhh, goodness the anticipation.....................
You can always make and use one of Sheldon Brown's fixed cup removal tools.

Tool Tips--Bottom Bracket Cups

It looks like this.

It works really well.

Cheers
Attached Images
bbtool-bolt.jpg (55.3 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-30-16, 05:35 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man

It looks like this.

It works really well.

Cheers
Yes it works well, if you rotate it the correct way.
Old 01-30-16, 06:52 PM
vintagerando

It looks like this.

It works really well.

Cheers
yes.....it wont move at all. I soaked in PB Penetrator. It just wont move. So, I may use this Sheldon Brown fix, or just leave it. I could repack grease and put it all together again without getting the cup out, l think....
Old 01-30-16, 07:43 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
yes.....it wont move at all. I soaked in PB Penetrator. It just wont move. So, I may use this Sheldon Brown fix, or just leave it. I could repack grease and put it all together again without getting the cup out, l think....
Sheldon said NOT to remove the drive side cup unless you're going to replace it. I shine a penlight into the shell after cleaning the cup out with solvents and look for damage such as bad pitting. If the cup is good I just put in new grease, bearings and more grease.

Cheers
Old 01-30-16, 08:02 PM
vintagerando

It looks like this.

It works really well.

Cheers
Do you take a chance of damaging the race of the cup with the pressure of the washer?
Old 01-30-16, 08:04 PM
vintagerando

Sheldon said NOT to remove the drive side cup unless you're going to replace it. I shine a penlight into the shell after cleaning the cup out with solvents and look for damage such as bad pitting. If the cup is good I just put in new grease, bearings and more grease.

Cheers
sorry....I did not refresh my browser....you answered my question...
Old 01-30-16, 08:57 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Do you take a chance of damaging the race of the cup with the pressure of the washer?
No. The cup is hardened steel; the washer is not. But as you acknowledged later, removal of the fixed cup is not necessary unless you intend to replace it.
Old 01-30-16, 09:13 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have the fancy version of this, bought it at ebay zillion of years ago, works pretty good

It looks like this.

It works really well.

Cheers
Old 01-30-16, 10:10 PM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
No. The cup is hardened steel; the washer is not. But as you acknowledged later, removal of the fixed cup is not necessary unless you intend to replace it.

I quess the trick is to get gease in there than load ball bearings. I think a needlenose pliers will do it.
Old 01-30-16, 10:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10968 Post(s)
Liked 7,494 Times in 4,190 Posts
I quess the trick is to get gease in there than load ball bearings. I think a needlenose pliers will do it.
Squirt grease in thru the outside of the cup. You can use a toothpick to reach in and spread it around. If you use a cage for the ballls, pack it full of grease. If you use loose balls, stick em in thru the outside of the cup. Slap some grease on the spindle too.

Much easier than pliers.
Old 02-01-16, 11:36 PM
oldsmobum

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It seems you get it by now, but the answer is clockwise.

If you want it out and it's stuck, get an aerosol duster. Turn the can upside down and blast the CUP with the freezing air, don't be shy with it. It will be insanely cold, and if done right will contract the metal of the cup. I've had great luck with this trick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.