Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wilier Izoard Headset / Bearing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-15, 09:28 AM
DefUnct

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have just got myself a Wilier Izoard XP and noticed that the headset cover sits above the frame with a gap, which seemed a little larger than i would have thought there should be, as seen in the photo.

https://s4.postimg.org/c02txj2bh/IMG_1888.jpg

However, the seating seems to be perfect, no looseness or anything and the steering is smooth - so it all seems ok.

I took it to my local bike shop who looked it over and said it's nothing to worry about, that there could be a rubber washer missing, but all seems ok. I wanted to double check there was nothing going on that might potentially damage the frame / headset so i took it to the nearest shop which sells Wilier, who said the gap did seem a little larger than normal, but all seems to be ok and is well seated so not to worry unless it was bothering me cosmetically.

I just wanted to ask, what would cause a gap like this? Is it possible that the fitted bearing is slightly higher than it needs to be (i notice they do come in different heights)? Having looked around at other photos of Izoards, they dont seem to have that gap or any "washer" but can't be sure.

Thanks
Old 11-21-15, 09:43 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
There is something wrong with it, as the bearing top cap isn't sitting flush with the frame.

Would be pulling this apart to see if something is installed upside down/incorrectly (looking at the Wilier webside, there is no gap on similar bikes, no rubber washer fitted either)

Time to find a new LBS as well, who are a bit more competent that your current one.
Old 11-21-15, 10:28 AM
DefUnct

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Just another question - the top cap is sitting directly on the bearing and it appears the bearing is not sitting flush with the top of the headtube - would that suggest that a higher bearing was used? Or potentially the bearing was replaced with one from another headset that is higher, but with the original Ritchey cap (ie different lip)?

Interested in any opinion - there is no play in the steering, no lateral or up/down movement and no binding - all seems to work fine, so am curious.

Last edited by DefUnct; 11-21-15 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-21-15, 10:37 AM
jimc101

Your Wilier has a IS (internal cup) headset, and the bearing need to match the frame, so you can't just replace it with any other one, it needs to be the specific one to the frame. (Ritchey was the OEM spec for this)

Have you tried pulling it apart to actually see if anything is wrong inside?
Old 11-21-15, 10:44 AM
DefUnct

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't pulled it apart, i don't have experience of working with headsets yet. The gap is about 1.5mm all round.

Last edited by DefUnct; 11-21-15 at 10:46 AM. Reason: realised Integrated is abbreviated IS
Old 11-21-15, 11:07 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
the problem, if you can call it that, is the dust cap does not extend down over the upper bearing far enough to have satisfied the OP's expectations (which are not unreasonable) as to what it should look like. it's too shallow and leaves a gap (note that there MUST be a gap, or at least the dust cap may not touch any part of the headtube).

if it's the OEM headset, and it may not be, for that frame/fork then somebody at Willier may not have looked closely enough before they specified the headset for the frame/fork. but it's just superficial, cosmetic problem IMO.

BTW, this has not been an uncommon complaint WRT integrated headsets. others have complained, maybe not about this bike, but about others.

here's pic of an Wilier Izoard XP 105. doesn't look like the same headset. looks like an FSA headset. hmmm...

Attached Images

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 11-21-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-21-15, 11:12 AM
jimc101

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
the problem, if you can call it that, is the dust cap does not extend down over the upper bearing far enough to have satisfied your expectations as to what it should look like. it's too shallow and leaves a gap (note that there MUST be a gap
There should be a gap, but your taking about a tiny one (around 0.1mm) if you look at the photo #DefUnct has posted, it's over 1mm, which is massive, and something is wrong with the setup
Old 11-21-15, 02:10 PM
DefUnct

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice so far. Seems i'm not alone - Headset gap - Weight Weenies

Have sent an email to Wilier to ask for the correct bearing spec / headset details. Seems my two options are to either find another shop (although the two i tried are reputable over here), or take it apart myself (not sure i would be able to spot where the issue lies).
Old 02-02-16, 08:04 AM
Arrie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys, the problem might be that the top bearing is just a little higher than the original OEM bearing. I've been around at a few local bike shops and then checked at a local bearing dealer. I got a lower bearing which is perfect but the upper one is just 0.5 - 1 mm higher than the original OEM one. The most important measurements are the inside and outside diameters as well as the angle of the inside and outside cambers (45 degrees in my case). Otherwise the height of the bearing is only a cosmetic issue and won't cause any harm.
Old 02-02-16, 09:17 AM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To me looks like this dude has the wrong bearing in there of there is is a shim or something sat under the bearing.
Old 11-11-19, 05:41 AM
bballin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any assistance is highly appreciated 😊

Hi there,
I own a Wilier Izoard XP and not sure about it's model (2011 or 2012). Headset bearings must be replaced and any advice regarding the item I need to order is highly appreciated. Are the bearings used in 2011 and 2012 similar?
Regards