Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bright ideas for replacing snapped Ortlieb pannier hook?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bright ideas for replacing snapped Ortlieb pannier hook?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-23, 10:08 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If that was a Carradice, replacement hooks are available now that you broke your wooden one.
Yes, I had someone on stand-by to post them to me, that proved a little complicated and woody did fine, so... still have to put the replacement hooks on those panniers. The other original Carradice hook broke off as well, later. Solution proved very siimple: inverse what was left of the hooks and hang the pannier on those inverted stubs from tie-wrap loops on the rack. Took a pic that is pretty clear but I can't seem to find it.
Old 06-17-23, 12:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by CMAW
Yes, I had someone on stand-by to post them to me, that proved a little complicated and woody did fine, so... still have to put the replacement hooks on those panniers. The other original Carradice hook broke off as well, later. Solution proved very siimple: inverse what was left of the hooks and hang the pannier on those inverted stubs from tie-wrap loops on the rack. Took a pic that is pretty clear but I can't seem to find it.
If those are the same hooks as their Carradry panniers, I have had a lot of weight on those hooks without breakage, which is why I recognized them. But now you are making me nervous.

There are other sources:
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m5b5s215...nnier-Hook-Set

Oops, I thought you were in USA. I am not sure about shipping from UK to Europe. I am not sure if Spa ships to EU or not.

SJS also has them, but shipping from them is not cheap at all.

Unfortunately with Brexit, shipping from UK has gotten more expensive.
Old 06-17-23, 12:40 PM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If those are the same hooks as their Carradry panniers, I have had a lot of weight on those hooks without breakage, which is why I recognized them. But now you are making me nervous.

SJS also has them, but shipping from them is not cheap at all.

Unfortunately with Brexit, shipping from UK has gotten more expensive.
Yes, it's become a pain. About the breaking hooks, no need to worry, both times entirely my mistake. Narrow passage, couldn't get through, tried anyway. Hit a rock once and some post the other time. So, impact from the front shears them right off. Otherwise rock solid.
Old 06-17-23, 12:52 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by CMAW
Yes, it's become a pain. About the breaking hooks, no need to worry, both times entirely my mistake. Narrow passage, couldn't get through, tried anyway. Hit a rock once and some post the other time. So, impact from the front shears them right off. Otherwise rock solid.
Thank you, I feel better about them now.

I have both Carradry and Ortlieb, I decide before each trip which to take. The rear Carradry hold more, but I think the Ortliebs are better built.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 08-30-23, 05:49 PM
afrowheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
The way this worked out was that I experimented, half-heartedly I admit, with some improvised substitute hooks but ultimately ended-up carrying on for a few weeks just using cable ties.

I should say that Ortlieb International did eventually come through to honour their warranty and put in quite a bit of effort to get me the replacement. The trouble is that in most South American countries customs hold up deliveries for ages and usually want to charge an excessive fee to get things released. In fact I needed two replacements because another part of a hook on the other pannier snapped as well, and in the end I got both from a local supplier in Buenos Aires. So with a bit of pressure, or bypassing the local distributor and going direct to the head office you may have better luck with Ortlieb.