Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Any adapters to add fork cargo cages?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-23, 11:57 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts

I have a Diamondback Haanjo that I want to tour on but don’t want a front rack and panniers. It has carbon forks with one mid fork mount. I’d like to find adapters with 3 mounts for bike packing cargo cages that I can bolt to my existing mount and probably zip tie the top and bottom. Any suggestions for such a product?
Old 04-03-23, 05:33 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
You could use an adapter such as this , or go with Ortlieb fork packs.
Old 04-03-23, 07:23 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Proceed with caution. Per Ortlieb's website for the fork packs: "Attention: Not suitable for mounting to carbon forks without „braze-on“ eyelets, tapered fork blades or frame tubes."

Any kind of hose clamp or band around carbon forks is "not recommended."
Old 04-03-23, 08:33 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
Proceed with caution. Per Ortlieb's website for the fork packs: "Attention: Not suitable for mounting to carbon forks without „braze-on“ eyelets, tapered fork blades or frame tubes."

Any kind of hose clamp or band around carbon forks is "not recommended."
The Ortlieb setup is pretty limited for non suspension forks since nearly all have some type of taper.

I understand the banding concerns with carbon forks. That is why I would like to find an adapter to utilize my mid fork mount to take the weight of any attachment. Any bands used top and bottom wouldn’t have to be too tight because they would only be there to stabilize and keep the adapter from rotating forward or back. I’m not planning for much weight on them. Just a small dry bag or sleeping pad.
Old 04-03-23, 09:59 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
The Ortlieb setup is pretty limited for non suspension forks since nearly all have some type of taper.
Looks more like a legal disclaimer than a real issue (for tapered steel forks). I've installed them on my LHT (single mount point + one adapter) and they appear to be rock solid.
Old 04-03-23, 07:06 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I use my front forks for water bottle cages and have a large frame bag for most of my gear. My bike is steel, has a single mount like yours. Along with the single mount I use electrical fusing tape. I read on bikepacking.com about using tape, which can be easily removed. BP did not have a single mount used the regular electrical tape. The fusing tape I used is different BUT bomber. It actually fuses with itself and bonds tightly. The cages remain in place after years of gravel grinding. The tape comes off clean because it does use glue.

Here's bikepacking link where I got some of the information.
https://bikepacking.com/gear/bikepacking-hacks/

here's the fusing tape:
https://tinyurl.com/59fyatu6
Old 04-04-23, 05:26 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I have also used bands on my LHT for the second mount. The one mounting point in the threaded hole keeps it in-place without issue.

Like the OP, I also had a bike with one hold and carbon forks and did not try it. Maybe wrapping the forks with something to spread the load would do it.

Originally Posted by gauvins
Looks more like a legal disclaimer than a real issue (for tapered steel forks). I've installed them on my LHT (single mount point + one adapter) and they appear to be rock solid.
Old 04-04-23, 03:56 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
I recently discovered Fidlock adapters. They are mostly for water bottles but they make a base that uses rubber straps. I used a Fidlock Tex connector which screws into a base through the fabric of the leg bag. A little twist and the bag comes off. By itself, the Tex connector in the bag is a bit floppy so I used a strap to hold it more tightly to the leg. I haven’t tried it in really rough conditions yet but it held quite well in the tests I have made. I can use this on my suspension fork and it doesn’t seem to slip. For a tapered leg, you could tighten the straps as much as needed without risking damage of the fork.

An alternative would be the Topeak Versacage. I’ve tired those too. They use a worm gear on a plastic clamp that would also be better for a tapered and/or carbon fork. The worm gear tends to wear out quickly if you want to install and remove it a few times. Slipping on a tapered fork leg would be something of a problem. It tended to slip on my suspension fork legs.

Cost of the Fidlocks is a bit expensive. The Uni base costs about $25 per each. The Tex connector doesn’t seem to be made anymore but you can find it on Etsy or Ebay for $12 to $15 each. The Versacage, on the other hand round about $35 each so the cost is a bit of a wash.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!