Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are galvanized steel spokes magnetic?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-23, 08:59 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts

Probably a stupid question, but I'm wondering if galvanized steel spokes are magnetic (I'm assuming SS spokes are not because SS isn't typically). Not really a C&V question, but I figure most galvanized steel spokes are on C&V (or at least old, if not classic) wheels.

I'm asking because I'm building up some carbon wheels (gasp, I know) for a resto-mod bike and thought I'd try tubeless ready rims that don't have spoke access holes (because I want to make my life hard). The most common way to get nipples into the nipple holes in the rim is to screw something magnetizable into the nipple, put it into the rim through the valve hole and then use a magnet to pull it to the right location. I know I could take a nipple and a magnet to a hardware store and try to find a 2 mm steel screw of the correct thread pitch, but was thinking that looking for an old galvanized steel spoke (not sure if I have any in my old spokes bin, maybe not, so this might be a wasted question) that was designed to screw into the nipple and just cutting it down to ~1" or so would do the job as well.

Old 06-30-23, 09:12 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Is that old galvanized spoke going to have the same thread? I used to use the galvanized Robergel Sport spokes but never tried them with modern nipples. Probably have one somewhere.
Old 06-30-23, 09:26 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Is that old galvanized spoke going to have the same thread? I used to use the galvanized Robergel Sport spokes but never tried them with modern nipples. Probably have one somewhere.
Good point. Probably just smarter to take the magnet and nipple to the hardware store after all.

Old 06-30-23, 09:40 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
no match
Robergel had two thread types, obviously unique in keeping with the French tradition
Likes For repechage:
Old 06-30-23, 09:44 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by himespau
Good point. Probably just smarter to take the magnet and nipple to the hardware store after all.
better try would be an adjuster screw from a Huret derailleur. If you need French metric threading.
Old 06-30-23, 09:58 AM
himespau 

Oh, I'm not planning on doing anything like French threading. Just a normal modern spoke and modern nipple. I was kind of considering alloy nipples and I hear about how soft and easy to round the corners are, so I was sort concerned about using something not designed for them could bung up the threading. I know alloy nipples and carbon rims are definitely not in the C&V era, but one of my other bikes has/had a carbon (threaded) fork on a lugged steel frame from the 80's, so I'm open to playing around with mixes of modern bits on vintage frames.

Old 06-30-23, 10:35 AM
repechage

https://wheelfanatyk.com

for a well designed aluminum nipple and wrench
Old 06-30-23, 10:40 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I am not sure I understand your question. If you have galvanised steel spokes, then they are attracted to a magnet.
Old 06-30-23, 10:49 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by dweenk
I am not sure I understand your question. If you have galvanised steel spokes, then they are attracted to a magnet.
I believe he wants to cut a short piece of magnetic spoke (or whatever), thread it into the nipple, then use the magnet to drag the nipple through the rim to the spoke hole. Pull the nipple through via the attached piece of spoke, unscrew spoke piece, screw in real spoke. The presumption here is that a galvanized spoke would be common, magnetic steel and SS not. I'd take a magnet and test both spokes. Some SSs are magnetic.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-30-23, 11:09 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by repechage
https://wheelfanatyk.com

for a well designed aluminum nipple and wrench
Yeah, I was planning on going with their aluminum nipples if I decide to move out of brass (what I've used up until now). Just trying to do something different (carbon deep rim, no access holes, aluminum nipples, maybe bladed spokes) than my traditional 32h, 3 cross aluminum rim, ss double butted spokes and brass nipples.

Old 06-30-23, 11:14 AM
himespau 

I believe he wants to cut a short piece of magnetic spoke (or whatever), thread it into the nipple, then use the magnet to drag the nipple through the rim to the spoke hole. Pull the nipple through via the attached piece of spoke, unscrew spoke piece, screw in real spoke. The presumption here is that a galvanized spoke would be common, magnetic steel and SS not. I'd take a magnet and test both spokes. Some SSs are magnetic.
This is correct. Also underlined the bit where I need to just get a magnet and go poke around with it in my used spoke box and see if it sticks to anything as you are correct about not all SS being equally unmagnetic. This is just something that occurred to me on a slow day at work while my parts closet is at home. Should have just waited to get home to check before posting (though I just found out that some guests have unexpectedly decided to extend their stay and will be there when I get home, not saying that's why I'm killing time at work rather than checking out early, but...).

Old 06-30-23, 11:27 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I am amazed by this thread.

What are the supposed benefits of tubeless technology over the traditional C&V tubed technologies?
Old 06-30-23, 11:35 AM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
better try would be an adjuster screw from a Huret derailleur. If you need French metric threading.
Just curious- do the French use a non-standard thread on spoke nipples?
Metric threads are the same around the world, except for those pesky M3.5 screws that were used on some French assembly machines that I used to work on.
Old 06-30-23, 11:41 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
I've heard that aluminum nipples do not play well with carbon rims.
Old 06-30-23, 12:11 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by USAZorro
I thought they played really well. Especially in the wet. So much fun they get to tossing electrons around. They coined a name for this. "Electrolysis" Kinda like Monopoly. One of the players always wins coming away with all the cash electrons.

Actually, no first hand knowledge here. (With either aluminum nipples or carbon rims let alone both together.)
Old 06-30-23, 12:21 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Bad Lag

What are the supposed benefits of tubeless technology over the traditional C&V tubed technologies?
Honestly, I have a bunch of really nice tubed tires to use, so I may never ride these tubeless, but some of the tires are known to be hard to mount so doing the hard bit of putting spokes in without access holes now is mainly going to give me that little bit of extra leeway caused by not having tape on the rims.

Old 06-30-23, 03:31 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by USAZorro
You have to passivate one or the other or both or corrosion will start immediately.

Aluminum anodizing is not moisture-proof, so more effort may be needed.

What is running through my head is the zinc coating on the spokes. Is it a suitable corrsion inhibitor? Will it act as a sacrifical electrode?
Old 06-30-23, 03:33 PM
Bad Lag

Honestly, I have a bunch of really nice tubed tires to use, so I may never ride these tubeless, but some of the tires are known to be hard to mount so doing the hard bit of putting spokes in without access holes now is mainly going to give me that little bit of extra leeway caused by not having tape on the rims.
With no benefit, then is this just an exercise?

Can anyone give a more comprehensive statement of supposed benefits of this "tubeless" technology?
Old 06-30-23, 03:43 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I have been reading this thread and it makes my head hurt. If the OP has some galvanized spokes on hand why wouldn't' they simply take a magnet and test whether the magnet attracts them?
Old 06-30-23, 04:20 PM
himespau 

Can anyone give a more comprehensive statement of supposed benefits of this "tubeless" technology?
I'm just trying new stuff that's different from how I usually do things. Doing something different this time is the end in and of itself. Maybe it'll be good, maybe it'll suck. If I just keep doing the same thing over and over again, I'll never know. It's kind of like going out to eat. My wife finds one thing she likes at a place and then that's all she ever orders. I'll try something different every time because maybe I'll find something better.

Likes For himespau:
Old 06-30-23, 04:23 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I have been reading this thread and it makes my head hurt. If the OP has some galvanized spokes on hand why wouldn't' they simply take a magnet and test whether the magnet attracts them?

As I said above, I was at work at the time. Also, my box of used spokes is buried under a whole bunch of stuff I don't have easy access to (especially with the guests here) and I am not 100% sure there are galvanized spokes in there anyway. I was just idly wondering if galvanized spokes were magnetic and if it was worth digging the box out and thought I'd ask instead of just wondering.

This is correct. Also underlined the bit where I need to just get a magnet and go poke around with it in my used spoke box and see if it sticks to anything as you are correct about not all SS being equally unmagnetic. This is just something that occurred to me on a slow day at work while my parts closet is at home. Should have just waited to get home to check before posting (though I just found out that some guests have unexpectedly decided to extend their stay and will be there when I get home, not saying that's why I'm killing time at work rather than checking out early, but...).

Old 06-30-23, 04:25 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I think that some of us have become like Ents. We do not always approach the situation at hand directly.
Old 06-30-23, 04:41 PM
CJohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Galvanized steel is steel with a zinc coating. So yes it is magnetic.
Some stainless steels are magnetic.
T-316 Stainless is the most corrosive resistant stainless steel and is non magnetic.
Likes For CJohn:
Old 06-30-23, 05:28 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts

Makes manufacturers money.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 06-30-23, 06:36 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts

tubeless tires are self sealing and can be used at very low pressures, they are ubiquitous for modern MTB and gravel wheels. I won't debate the pros or cons of road tubeless though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.