Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Outdoor Bike Storage Suitable for C&Vs?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-23, 08:08 PM
johnbobey

Bikes: 2023 All-City Space Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

Having just acquired a Rando-Ready 2017 Black Mountain Monster Cross and all chrome 1981 Katakura Silk (why go n+1 when you can go n+2?), I'm now in need of safe and dry storage for my growing stable (that I blame all of you for encouraging). Unless I can find a suitable solution (shed, shrine?) it will soon be me that is forced to find refuge outdoors.In lieu of a garage (we converted ours to living space...for humans), have any of you found something that can be bought or built that can keep 3-6 bikes safe, sound, and out of the elements? I'm in San Diego so cold and snow isn't an issue, but I am only a mile or so from the ocean so I imagine there's salt in the air (and it rains during our "winter") that I'd rather not co-habitate with my bikes. I can't be the only one with this problem, right?

Likes For johnbobey:
Old 09-05-23, 08:38 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Santee.
Old 09-05-23, 08:40 PM
johnbobey

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Santee.
I don't understand...?
Old 09-05-23, 08:42 PM
johnbobey

Santee.
OK, I see you're suggesting a storage unit. I was hoping for a solution that could go in my backyard...
Old 09-05-23, 09:45 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 2,613 Posts
They’re all sorts of small sheds that you can either build from scratch or assemble from parts or just drop into place. If you have the room, of course. I built one up in my backyard for the lawnmower and other gardening stuff, and I’ve thought of using it for bike storage (though I’d have to put the lawnmower somewhere else).
Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-05-23, 10:26 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 119 Posts
A friend and neighbor has a unit that seems functionally equivalent to this: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Hom...ption=14611863

I can't say his brand was the same, the link is to one that seems to open top/front the way his does. He's happy with it, and it keeps rain out. Getting the rearmost bike out requires unloading at least one of the front two.
Old 09-05-23, 11:23 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Our Tuff Sheds are 20+ years old and look like they have at least another 30-40 more years left in them.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 09-05-23, 11:42 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Santee.
Originally Posted by johnbobey
OK, I see you're suggesting a storage unit. I was hoping for a solution that could go in my backyard...
I thought he was suggesting that you move to Santee. You know, to be further from the ocean. Of course, your SO may have a thing or two to say about that.

Maybe an easy-up with skirts? A heck of a lot cheaper than some of those bike-specific storage sheds.
Old 09-06-23, 12:47 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
If you put a storage shed for your bikes make sure you lay a vapor barrier or plastic sheet that will not degrade. You would be amazed at how much humidity seeps through the ground with temperature swings from day to night.
Old 09-06-23, 02:59 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
Building a shed is pretty fun.
I did this one for our bach a few years ago. I had never done concreting or framing before, infact i can barely saw straight.

Likes For Soody:
Old 09-06-23, 04:48 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Our grab and go bikes live less than sheltered existences 1000 feet from the Chesapeake. The get shuffled between an open shed and leaning against a tree. Depending on weather and shed clutter a tarp might get tossed over. I tend to worry more about leaving them in the sun than the rain. These bikes have degraded cosmetically, but already had their share of hard knocks and spray paint.

​​Point was getting at is that I regularly soak these bikes down with WD40 and it seems to keep keep the rust under control. After a while the leftover greasy ness starts collecting dust so I clean the bike and start over. I have to clean the rims and pads with alcohol pretty often though.

So a long with a shed I would start buying WD40 by the gallon.

​​​​​​
Old 09-06-23, 06:01 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
The climate inside a shed can be basically the same as outdoors and humidity is bad for all the steel in a bike. I suggest to make room inside a little used part of you house, at least for your favorites.
Old 09-06-23, 07:05 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
The climate inside a shed can be basically the same as outdoors and humidity is bad for all the steel in a bike.
I guess it would be extreme, but working to make sure the shed sealed up tightly and running a dehumidifier in there, draining outside, would help. I run one in my basement for that reason.

Old 09-06-23, 07:31 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I thought he was suggesting that you move to Santee. You know, to be further from the ocean. Of course, your SO may have a thing or two to say about that.

Maybe an easy-up with skirts? A heck of a lot cheaper than some of those bike-specific storage sheds.
I lived in Santee from 86-89. As close to the ocean as you are, anything that isn't climate-controlled is going to result in disappointment. A spot five-ten miles inland would make a huge difference in your success.
Old 09-06-23, 07:57 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I'd never leave my bike in the garage, let alone a shed...
Old 09-06-23, 08:42 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
Building a shed is pretty fun.
I did this one for our bach a few years ago. I had never done concreting or framing before, infact i can barely saw straight.
Damn, that's real nice for your first one!
Old 09-06-23, 10:36 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
I guess it would be extreme, but working to make sure the shed sealed up tightly and running a dehumidifier in there, draining outside, would help. I run one in my basement for that reason.
Actually quite the opposite; you want the shelter extremely well ventilated. The temperature differential can soak up a ton of water out of the air, you want the air flushed out before it can condense. With enough ventilation the inside humidity matches the outside humidity.
Old 09-06-23, 10:48 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
The low temperature excursion will be determined by the overnight air temperature.

The high temperature will be determined by how much direct sunlight your shed gets. Lots of direct sun, on a closed-up shed, will mean very high upper temperatures.

Humidity in San Diego is not a problem, not even near the coast. Dehumidifiers are just not a thing out here they way they are east of the Rockies.

What is not clear to me from your posts is whether you want a secure outdoor storage area or whether you want an environmentally controlled, museum-quality facility to house your bikes, or somewhere in between.
Old 09-06-23, 11:03 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
The climate inside a shed can be basically the same as outdoors and humidity is bad for all the steel in a bike. I suggest to make room inside a little used part of you house, at least for your favorites.
This sounds accurate, short of keeping a dehumidifier in it.

If you're in the fog zone then you're probably close enough to the coast to have issues with salt corrosion. Maybe leave a sacrificial bike outdoors and watch what happens? Quiz neighbors?
Old 09-06-23, 12:08 PM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Humidity in San Diego is not a problem, not even near the coast..
I've only been to Pacific Beach once so I am not an expert. National Weather Service says humidity goes over 90% tonight.

Originally Posted by abdon
Actually quite the opposite; you want the shelter extremely well ventilated. The temperature differential can soak up a ton of water out of the air, you want the air flushed out before it can condense. With enough ventilation the inside humidity matches the outside humidity.
I would not contest that. But see above.

Originally Posted by Rick_D
This sounds accurate, short of keeping a dehumidifier in it.
Yeah, my point... if one wants to spend the $$$ to buy and, particularly, operate one.
Originally Posted by Rick_D
Maybe leave a sacrificial bike outdoors and watch what happens?
But which bike? Until recently I would have suggested a Huffy. Not any more.

Old 09-06-23, 01:36 PM
johnbobey

I've only been to Pacific Beach once so I am not an expert. National Weather Service says humidity goes over 90% tonight.

I would not contest that. But see above.

Yeah, my point... if one wants to spend the $$$ to buy and, particularly, operate one.

But which bike? Until recently I would have suggested a Huffy. Not any more.
Wow, a lot of interesting ideas and an impressive build or two. Thanks to all for chiming in! Looks like I'll be keeping these bikes indoors...to many variables and no bullet (or moisture)-proof solution.
Old 09-06-23, 01:50 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
I went through a search for something to store bikes outside last year. Between me and the family, we have five bikes to store, all pretty much vintage.

I ended up with this thing: 8' x 6' Outdoor Storage Shed. Into my driveway for a little over $500 with tax and shipping. I built a frame of 4"x4" ground-contact cedar to put it on top, and ended up putting in a 1/2" (?, maybe I went 3/4") plywood floor.

I spent a lot of time on this thing, doing it all by myself. My wife thought the frame was overkill, but was impressed with how dry and stable it has been over the last year of unCalifornia-like weather.

The only drawback is that it is a lot - and I mean a LOT - of little tiny screws and plastic washers. For something with so many pieces and kind of light material, it went together pretty well. Only one latch did not match up at the end, and the flooring took some creative cutting. But for a $1000 or so, I am pretty happy with it. Has room for the five bikes and assorted other junk.
Old 09-06-23, 02:05 PM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by johnbobey
Looks like I'll be keeping these bikes indoors...
Always a wise choice. I had presumed you had a shortfall of indoor square footage and a surplus of outdoor square footage.

Old 09-06-23, 02:52 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
One of my friends got a few of those pulley-based hangers to pull his bikes above his lounge, which has a high ceiling. Much cheaper than a shed and remains within indoor climate envelope. Somehow we always talk bikes in that room
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 09-06-23, 02:54 PM
johnbobey

Always a wise choice. I had presumed you had a shortfall of indoor square footage and a surplus of outdoor square footage.
Your assumption was correct--I do have a shortfall of indoor space and even more so a wife with a shortfall of tolerance for bikes living indoors, AND an abundance (or at least enough) outdoor space. I keep trying to make the comparrison of sq footage taken up by bikes as opposed to her shoes, but so far it's not working.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.