Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fixed/Free hub question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fixed/Free hub question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 08:50 AM
JOE.SBG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed/Free hub question

is there sufficient thread to fully engage a singlespeed freewheel cog on a fixed gear hub?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 10-27-10, 08:56 AM
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes
Old 10-27-10, 09:39 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Did you bother to follow the forum stickies to places such as Sheldon Brown before asking your question?

( There's a reason why the MODS put 'em there... )

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 10-27-10, 11:59 AM
JOE.SBG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
Did you bother to follow the forum stickies to places such as Sheldon Brown before asking your question?

( There's a reason why the MODS put 'em there... )

=8-)
yes. here's what i don't understand. Why do the hubs come "fixed/free, or" fixed/fixed. If there is no problem threading a freewheel on a fixed thread side of the hub, why make a freewheel threaded side.

Joe
Old 10-27-10, 12:13 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JOE.SBG
yes. here's what i don't understand. Why do the hubs come "fixed/free, or" fixed/fixed. If there is no problem threading a freewheel on a fixed thread side of the hub, why make a freewheel threaded side.

Joe
The thread engagement is wider on the freewheel side which THEORETICALLY gives a stronger thread that is less likely to wear out if frequent freewheel changes are done. Also I suspect it is in part tradition.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 10-27-10, 12:13 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
While a freewheel will thread onto a fixed side there won't be a hell of a lot of threads in engagement due to the slightly smaller lock ring reverse threaded portion taking up a part of the room. So it is far better if you want a freewheel to stick to a fixed/free combo hub instead of fixed/fixed.

For someone that rides the bike in a gentle "beach cruiser" sort of way it would not be a problem. But for someone that stands and really torques on the pedals there's a good chance that somewhere along the way the fewer number of threads in engagement would strip out. Looking at the wheel on my own single speed the fixed side threading that would engage the freewheel is only just as wide as a single sprocket. That's barely 3mm or perhaps slightly less. That would only give you about 4 turns in engagement when you figure on the leading chamfer of the threads of the freewheel and hub. That's not a lot of metal to be asked to do that much work.
Old 10-27-10, 01:05 PM
JOE.SBG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For someone that rides the bike in a gentle "beach cruiser" sort of way it would not be a problem. But for someone that stands and really torques on the pedals there's a good chance that somewhere along the way the fewer number of threads in engagement would strip out. Looking at the wheel on my own single speed the fixed side threading that would engage the freewheel is only just as wide as a single sprocket. That's barely 3mm or perhaps slightly less. That would only give you about 4 turns in engagement when you figure on the leading chamfer of the threads of the freewheel and hub. That's not a lot of metal to be asked to do that much work.[/QUOTE]

So, is there less engagement on the freewheel than the fixed cog excluding the lock ring which I believe would only help for braking.
Old 10-27-10, 01:27 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
There are also people who want the hub to be fixed on both sides so they can change gears. You can't do the with the combo hub. Roger
Old 10-27-10, 02:38 PM
mrrabbit 

Joe
1. Not your original question.
2. New question also readily answered elsewhere.

Bicycle Mechanic forum sticky - read up!

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ease-READ-THIS

=8-)

Disclaimer:

4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 10-27-10, 03:21 PM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
1. Not your original question.
2. New question also readily answered elsewhere.

Bicycle Mechanic forum sticky - read up!

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ease-READ-THIS

=8-)
It always amazes me that the same ppl who find new posters who ask something that's in the FAQ/similar don't realize that their posts in response that point to the FAQ/similar is way, way, way more annoying. Further, the "read the FAQ/sticky/etc" posts are far more numerous and redundant than any one question that gets asked (forgive me) frequently. And, to post 2 such "responses" in the *same thread* seems excessive and, quite frankly, rude.

No doubt, my weird little diatribe here is probably annoying in its own right, BUT forums like this cannot exist without new members and new posts, even if the posts are blasts from the past. We're talking about bicycles, which are fairly simple machines. If each question were only asked once, well, we'd have been done with these forums years ago.

-rob
Old 10-27-10, 03:45 PM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
It always amazes me that the same ppl who find new posters who ask something that's in the FAQ/similar don't realize that their posts in response that point to the FAQ/similar is way, way, way more annoying. Further, the "read the FAQ/sticky/etc" posts are far more numerous and redundant than any one question that gets asked (forgive me) frequently. And, to post 2 such "responses" in the *same thread* seems excessive and, quite frankly, rude.

No doubt, my weird little diatribe here is probably annoying in its own right, BUT forums like this cannot exist without new members and new posts, even if the posts are blasts from the past. We're talking about bicycles, which are fairly simple machines. If each question were only asked once, well, we'd have been done with these forums years ago.

-rob

Yay for diatribes!

If we whittled things down to only new posts never addressed in the forums before, we'd probably end up with one original question every 3 months...and then every 6 months...and by the time I signed up, this whole website would've closed down and been archived online, with no new members. I don't really care if a question's been asked and answered before, and if it seems like a waste of time to respond to an old question, I just move on to reading another thread. It does seem overly aggressive to go after "junior" members for not having read twenty threads before posting a question. Aside from that, the search function in online forums is rarely up to snuff.
Old 10-27-10, 03:53 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by peripatetic

Yay for diatribes!

If we whittled things down to only new posts never addressed in the forums before, we'd probably end up with one original question every 3 months...and then every 6 months...and by the time I signed up, this whole website would've closed down and been archived online, with no new members. I don't really care if a question's been asked and answered before, and if it seems like a waste of time to respond to an old question, I just move on to reading another thread. It does seem overly aggressive to go after "junior" members for not having read twenty threads before posting a question. Aside from that, the search function in online forums is rarely up to snuff.
excellent point. for folks who don't already know, the best way to search bikeforums.net imho is to go to google.com, type in site:bikeforums.net and *then* type in your search query. The search feature on bikeforums $uck$. Otherwise, this is a grand site.

-rob
Old 10-27-10, 07:05 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
So, is there less engagement on the freewheel than the fixed cog excluding the lock ring which I believe would only help for braking.
You know, I hadn't stopped to think about it that way. And you're right. If the freewheel engages the same number or more threads as a fixed gear cog then it would happily withstand any force the rider could input.
Old 10-27-10, 08:48 PM
mrrabbit 

excellent point. for folks who don't already know, the best way to search bikeforums.net imho is to go to google.com, type in site:bikeforums.net and *then* type in your search query. The search feature on bikeforums $uck$. Otherwise, this is a grand site.

-rob
Someone has to pick on the newbie once awhile...today was my turn.

Excellent point? Okay...all in favor of:

"I inflated my tire and two week later it has lost air again. Is this normal?"

... for the thousandth time this year...raise your hand!

There's a limit to this folks...

The google "seach a site feature"...yep...that is very handy! Like Surreal, strongly recommend it.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

Old 10-27-10, 08:57 PM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

-rob
Now THAT's a tip that should be in the FAQ. One wonders why there aren't more threads by newbies titled, "How do I search for an answer to my question on here?!" (Though I guess that's basically what the posts are implying )
Old 10-28-10, 05:34 AM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
i'm not saying that repetitive posts aren't annoying. i'm just saying that posts explaining the annoyance are more annoying, and at least as ubiquitous. further, let's not blame the newbies. these are difficult waters to navigate thru, especially if you don't know the jargon, or that the search feature on here is a turd.

I think, even if you're in a b!chee mood, the best way to handle it is with a link to a FAQ or sheldon's site, with no extraneous commentary.

(Just a gentle nudge...)

-rob